WAG Coaches that talk too much...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What do you do about a coach that talks too much? We have a great 74 yr old male coach that is full of knowledge, but before they start on each event he likes to talk to the girls, so much that it will leave 10-20 min left on that event. The girls try hard so hard to listen, but you can tell their minds are elsewhere after so long! I thought about telling my child to remind him how much time is left, but don't want him to think she's being rude. I don't think going to the head coach will work since she's older too & BFF's with this guy :) So frustrating to the parents that are watching & we get to hear our girls complain about it all the way home.

I know just what you mean! I lost 30 minutes of workout yesterday because our coach was talking to us. But, if this is happening every time, then that's not a good thing.

Unless someone could find a way to off handedly tell him that they'd actually like to get out there and DO some of the gymnastics he's talking about, I'd just try to make to best of every 10-20 minutes you get!

On the plus side, he seems nice!

Good luck!

Oh my. That would be annoying! Some of those older folks do get really carried away with their story telling. I know it may seem "rude" but if you are paying tuition for your child to do gymnastics then that is what she should be doing. I would say something to the owner (unless he is the owner) maybe some of the other parents who are not happy about it would also join in. It doesn't have to be really rude or anything just something like we feel our children need more actual time on the equiptment to improve rather than talking. If you feel uncomfortable with that maybe your child could try kindly interrupting him with something like "that is really neat, I feel like I am getting close to my kip and I'd really like to work on it now!"

and when he's dead...people will think differently. folklore is part of our sport.:)

This is a common fault of quite a few male coaches. A lot of it can be attributed to "being male." If we are on track about a topic and want to make a point or have what we think is significant knowledge about a topic, it will be hell getting us to stop.

At one gym, the male HC would often seem to do this on occasion for 30-45 minutes. They don't seem to get that most of the girls zone them out after about 5. Yes, there is a respect angle but it is what it is; especially in this country. They do the same in school, especially if their teachers do not change the pitch or tempo of their voice.

Also bare in mind he is old, so possibly more prone to do this. Honestly, call him out on this via gymnast or parent. Say it quick, say it sweet.

Bare in mind, most girls have to deal with this with many if not all men to a certain degree. Especially in their work or relationship departments.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back