Coaches Coaches.. what would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone, I need some advice. Let me start by explaining what happened the other night with my rec level 1 class. Our end of the year show is next week, so the practice was basically a rehersal. The class is a tough one, because there are 9 children- 1 of the children has serious developmental delays and needs constant supervision (that is the main reason I help with the class). There is also another girl with some less serious delays and a couple of children with serious attention problems. We do have 2 coaches though for sanity!
Well one of the very hyper children with the attention problems has been out for the last 4 classes and so does not know any of the groups floor routine (they are doing it all together). I gave her the option of trying to follow the other kids or she could sit out of the dance, but show off her own skills on floor at the end and still do every other event. I made it clear I would not be mad or anything if she messes up. Well she decides it will be embarrassing to mess up and wants to sit out. The end of practice comes around and the mother is very upset that she won't be in it, says she pays alot of money for classes, the family is coming to watch etc. After telling her its the childs choice, she still is mad at me and starts questioning my judgement (we gave recommendations out for summer classes). Now she is asking for another evaluation to be done..
How would you handle this?!

wow. good bye is the 1st thing that comes to mind...

How old is the child? Will you she be able to understand if you tell her that most of the other kids ( L1's ) will mess up as well. I've never seen L1's hit their summer routines perfectly anyways. When they goof up, everyone thinks it's cute and laughs and smiles.

Hi

Well the first thing that comes to mind following... "ok well goodbye" is...
I would point out to the parent that their child has missed out the last 4 classes, which were vital to learning the routine. It would be unfair to the other children who have showed up to all the classes to hold them back in order for 1-2 kids to try to catch up.

She is welcome to have someone else do a second evaluation if the owner is happy for it to happen, but as far as you are concerned you have spoken to this child, and she has made this decision herself as well.

However it important to consider the possibility this child just chose this option cause its easier. If it is possible is there any chance that she could catch up and learn the routine in time? If honestly think that this kid is happy to sit out, and or has no shot at learning this in time, than i think that decision is easy to make.

Stand by your decisions if you are sure with them, if you are no than talk with the other coach, and the manager, to discuss avenues.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back