Coaches Coaching girls vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tweez94

Coach
Hey I coach the girls team in our gym on and off throughout the week and am usually put on vault or floor as I don't know much about girls events. The issue is vault was my worst event as a gymnast as the gym I came from didn't encourage many good drills. I know there are already a lot of posts about vaulting and front handspring over the table but I understand the concept pretty well. My biggest issue is return stations. I hate doing the same things every single week. My opinion is not only do kids get bored of them but lazy as well creating bad habits. We have the vault set up right next to rod floor so usually if its a big group I'll give them a couple side stations (if necessary) like heel drives, handstand shoulder shrugs, and then one station on the rod floor to return either, front layouts off a spring board, handstand flapbacks up to a resi, or every now and then handspring vaults with the springboard up on a panel mat at an angle. These are pretty much the only three drills I use and know of right now for vault. The thing is I still have a lot of learning to do with picking out corrections compared to the other coaches in my gym so I feel like the girls need good return drills so they don't leave me without any benefit at all. Sorry for the book, my main question is pretty much, what is everyone's favorite (most effective/fun) vaulting drills that don't require spot?

Thanks in advanced, Tyler

Also this is for levels 5-7, so a range of drills would be great, or even new ways of saying things, any opinion at all is appreciated I just want to better myself as a coach in every way possible, thank you.

I'd be in Yurchenko drill heaven with L5-7 if we had a rod floor right next to our vault runway. Is your head coach OK with you teaching basic Yurchenko drills?

As far as a basic front handspring vault...I am a very boring coach on that one. The most fun thing that we do is front tucks and front layouts over the table...I spot these though.

I guess I didn't really answer your questions at all.

Here is a video with lots of drills...

[video=youtube;syfa3iDZOtA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syfa3iDZOtA[/video]

Our number one drill is not really a drill at all. We have the gymnasts do regular front handsprings over the vault table to their back on a mat stack. We like to see them go as high as possible...one...two...three...8" mats above the table.

The level 7's would absolutely love doing anything involving yurchenkos! Not so sure about the 5's and 6's, we have one level 5 who can play around with them here and there but the rest of the 5's and 6's have some perfecting to do before moving on. And I actually just came across that video so glad to hear your opinion on the drills.

We actually start our Yurchenko training at L4 now...this is new for our club. By focusing earlier on this...our coaches have started to become much more technical with their training for hurdles...roundoffs...and back handsprings. This has translated into improved tumbling...which will translate into more high level vaults later on.

I'll see if I can find some videos of the drills that I am talking about.

I'm having a hard time finding the video I'm looking for...but here is one...the second drill with the spring boards is a fun return station...

[video=youtube;SbZxQp4vZ-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZxQp4vZ-Q[/video]

Lots of straight line roundoff work. We have been making our hurdles more vertical as well as getting the leg out in front more. Roundoffs up to a panel mat. RO-BHS over 8" mat.

Hey man those three help a lot anyway, if you do find it it will obviously be greatly appreciated but I did some digging yesterday and found this one which I like a lot[video=youtube;l9m4zFIqe4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9m4zFIqe4s&feature=related[/video]

Yes...it is actually another Al Fong video. The video above is great...many of the drills can be broken down to a much lower level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back