Coaches Coaching @ IGC summer camp??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

peace.love.gymnast

I was just wondering if anyone on here has coached at a summer camp for IGC? I was thinking about applying for next summer to get into their degreed coaching program, & I was wanting some info on it. What was it like? What exactly do they have you do in the program? etc.... Any info is GREATLY appreciated...:)

Just to add to this: If anyone has anyone experience coaching at IGC at all...It's something I am definately thinking of for 2 years time and maybe next year. I have read in other threads that the cousellors are often from australia and ireland - what about the coaches? I'm sure international coaches are in the minority, but are there any? Would it matter that I do not have USAG safety certification if I have my Level 2 or possibly Level 3 BG (british) women's artistic qualification?

Thanks to any answers and sorry for not helping, peace.love.

You will need to go through CCUSA or BUNAC then go to the Camp Fair which is in Feb/March in various places around the UK and apply directly with the camp at the fair. You will get your USAG Safety Certification in your orientation week at the camp. It does not matter what BGA coaching qualification you have as you will have to be there for the whole summer you will automatically join the coaching degree program offered at the camp. By the end of the summer you will go through level 1 and hopefully receive your qualification. You will certainly be in the minority in regards to coaches from abroad because the majority are from the US, however, this year there were two or three from the UK. Hope that info helps, if you have any more question let me know...

Thanks - that's very useful. Which organisation did you apply through? When did you know if you were successful in applying? What is the level 1 qualification you recieve? Were then any young coaches there? I will be 18 or 19, but will have definately level 2 and possibly level 3 BGA qualification, and am an experienced coach.
Thaks for any answers.

I went through CCUSA. If you go to one of the camp fairs in Feb/March then you can get a job on the spot, if the camp director thinks you are suitable for the position. This shouldn't be a problem...Your BG qualification will be irrelevant. The majority of the coaches are young, in college/university and usually are competitive level gymnasts working during their summer holidays.

The level 1 qualification through the IGC program is an introductory coaching education programme that you will certainly find informative.

Hope that helps...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back