Parents coaching method question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Annikins

Proud Parent
Hi, I know there are a few coaches on here as well as parents (or those who are both). Not sure if the same method is used in the US, but in the UK many coaches set the whole group to learning a certain move, and have various 'stations' set up to prep for the move, and one station has the coach to 'spot' the move. I think it is a recommended method by BG as we recently saw a coaching exam take place and this was the method used.

My question is: My daughter joined the group late, so for one move she wasn't there for when the rest of the group started learning it. So, how does she catch it up now? The stations are no longer set up for her to learn it, as the rest of the group have moved on. I can't imagine the coach will move the whole group back to doing those 'stations' as the other girls can already do those preps easily. How is this method supposed to work when not everyone gets the move at the exact same pace? (There is another girl in the group who although has been there since the beginning, also does not have the move)

Thanks!

I can only speak to my experience at a US gym, and as a parent. At my DD's gym, the drills and stations never stop. Even when a skill is mastered. And often coaches will go back to the basics (e.g., a station focused on glide swings, for example, even though most of the girls can kip-cast-to-handstand and several have giants).

Most importantly, regardless of when they started, the girls all master skills at different rates. They have different strengths and weaknesses. So it's not like everyone in the group is ready to move on at the same time. As a result, many of the drills and stations are somewhat individualized, or tailored for a small group. Different girls/small groups will be directed to complete slightly different drills or skills at each station, depending on where they are. (Of course, if someone is moving WAY faster or slower than the rest of the group, across all events, then she might be moved to a different level or practice group altogether).

Finally, on multiple occasions, I have seen my DD's coaches create a special station for one girl only (typically because they are struggling to pick up something). I remember one girl struggling with her front handspring while training L4, and for several weeks she worked off to the side on separate stations made just for her.

I am confident that a good coach can get your DD where she needs to be. Good luck!

I am in the UK and I agree with above - I would set up a side station for those drill for a couple of the girls if needed and yes others can return to those drills now and again to improve the basic shapes for the skill.

And I would spot the child who needed it through extra side drills (with or without stations set up) . If it is just one child there are often alternative drills you can spot them through for the same effect without setting up a big station.

Coaches deal with this all the time so don't worry. It might be that they haven't started the drills with your child because they need to improve their strength in a certain area first or improve a pre requisite skill first.

Thanks for your replies. I hope you're right and it will be set up when she's ready for it. I don't mind waiting for it to happen if I have confidence it will happen sometime! Thank you xx

When there's an appropriate time they'll review those stations or gymnasts will remain in that level until they've been able to master all the skills.

Thanks for your reply. I hope so - it's just always a bit stressful because 'remaining in the level' in England usually means not keeping your place in the squad, so hopefully they'll start on it before it reaches that stage as she does love her gym!

Thanks for your reply. I hope so - it's just always a bit stressful because 'remaining in the level' in England usually means not keeping your place in the squad, so hopefully they'll start on it before it reaches that stage as she does love her gym!

Oh I see. Well that seems unfortunate. In the US it's common to repeat a level if you don't quite have a skill. But if that's the case I would assume the coaches have a plan and wouldn't have put the kids in that squad if they didn't think they at least had a good chance to learn the skills. Are private lessons an option? Or if for example it was a tumbling move, would your gym let you add an additional tumbling or trampoline class that might be in an earlier stage of learning that skill?

I know, to be honest, it's a nightmare, the constant worry about whether they will keep up enough to continue doing what they love - I'm really envious of the American system. I did ask about private lessons a while back, but the coach said she'd discuss it and get back to me, but never did. The club wouldn't let us go elsewhere to learn skills, so we'll just have to cross fingers and hope for the best. I think this is partly why in England so many people have home equipment, as it gives you that extra bit of practise to try to keep your place. We're considering an air track for Christmas so she can practice it at home...not ideal really but they (she and other dd) will have a lot of fun from it too... The squad is re-selected for next year in December, so a bit of an anxious time coming up!

In most gyms in the UK remaining in the level doesn't mean losing your place in the squad and it is common to repeat levels. OP may be at a high performance club in the pre-elite squad where the gymnast must move up a level each year to remain "In Age", ie on the track for elite.

I'll second that. Repeating levels happens all the time in the UK. That's why they have different age categories at competitions.
There is definitely a big deal if you are trying to stay on the elite path - but then that would be the last time to try and teach yourself skills as they need to be done absolutely correctly. Sometimes it may mean moving to a different squad if you don't move up, but that isn't always the end of the world.

And just the expected word of caution about home equipment. It really isn't the norm in the UK, but social media sites obviously can give that impression. Just remember that those groups are effectively self selecting so it seems like everyone has their own airtrack and bars etc. Those of us who leave gym in the gym don't add to those discussions because obviously we have nothing to say as our experience is different.

If there is high pressure for reselection in December then I don't think it would be unreasonable to follow up your earlier communication and ask for a chat about what the plan is. Sometimes it's all in the luck of catching the coaches at the right moment.

Hmm, it's great that your gyms don't seem to do the same thing, not sure if we've just been unlucky or whether it's the area of the country?

We've been to three gyms (including with older dd), and all of them re-select their squads at least annually, and one of them just constantly. Only the constantly one is one that I would describe as really high performing. The different age groups basically related to when you started gymnastics, rather than what speed you got through the levels (ie if you started age 9 in level 6, then that's fine, but if you started at age 8 and had to 'repeat', you'd be dropped). Yes, you are usually (but not always) offered another squad, but from what we've seen with friends and also experienced ourselves, you are offered a 2 hour a week 'recreational squad', which when you're dropping from 9/12/15 hours to 2, it pretty much feels like you've lost your hobby. Also, the competitions those squads enter have rules about how many hours you can train, and you have been training more hours, so you aren't allowed to compete for two years after the squad move, making it feel even more like you've lost your hobby.

I think maybe as you get higher up the levels maybe the gyms are more understanding as they've put more work into you already that they don't want to have wasted (we haven't reached that stage yet!), but at the lower levels, from where we've been, it seems like they have a massive waiting list of people, so you are entirely replaceable.

Maybe partly because of that, honestly almost all our gym friends (ie from those clubs, not social media) have their own equipment at home... I think one does lead to another.

I would love to be able to relax and just enjoy it, but my dd loves it, and the idea of dropping to two hours would really not go down well with her at all! I'm actually encouraging her to take up another sport (trying to find the time!) so that if it happens, she would have another thing to focus her efforts on...

Wow, that's really interesting. And kind of sad. I can definitely see why you feel the pressure. In our experience some girls do end up dropping hours more than they would like, but it sounds like you are talking about moving from WAG to 'Gymnastics for All' or 'General Gymnastics' competitions. If you've been doing a lot of hours that would be a massive change. I've no idea how old your daughter is, but we see repeating at most levels. And especially when they have growth spurts, become teenagers or have an injury there is often at least one less successful year.

I'm a fan of reselection to make sure everyone is in the right place. But not the stress it causes. Please talk to them if there is a particular skill you feel she is not getting chance to work on. They might have a plan, or you can at least know exactly what the situation is rather than worrying for the next month or so.

Good luck!

Hmm, it's great that your gyms don't seem to do the same thing, not sure if we've just been unlucky or whether it's the area of the country?

We've been to three gyms (including with older dd), and all of them re-select their squads at least annually, and one of them just constantly.

If she doesn't get reselected find another lower pressure gym. There should be plenty of opportunities for girls not in age everywhere. Being in age is not the norm. It is really for a select few once they reach 10 or 11. Being out of age is the norm.

Yes, it is pretty pressurized, but to be honest we've been to three clubs around here and they've all been the same, and we have friends at others and they are the same too, so I think we just have to cross fingers and hope for the best. She is slightly ahead on bars (she has her upstart) so hopefully even if she's a little behind on floor, it will balance out. And she's progressed so fast since she's been there, so hopefully they'll see her potential. She was dropped from squad and only offered two hours at her last club despite being one of only two girls in the squad to medal at county champs (hard to explain to a six year old!), which was when we left there to try to find a less pressurized one and we were hoping this was it! Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing...

I think I'll leave it a couple more weeks as I don't want to annoy them by being 'that' parent - such a fine line to tread! Maybe by then she'll be working on it... hopefully... maybe!

We do have a bit of a fall back in that there's a tumbling club which does quite a few hours and I think she could do comfortably which is less pressurized, but she'd miss the bars especially!

Wow I would hate for my young daughter to have the pressure of having to get skills to be reselected. My dd is at an elite club in the uk in the squad but thankfully everyone progresses at the rate that’s right for them, so some are on the compulsory grade route others on the National or regional route, and some start on one and switch to another, but thankfully they never drop anyone from squad for lack of skills.
I don’t even know of any other gyms in this area that do that either some might move them to a different squad but generally similar hours.
Also with regards to home equipment other than some who have floor beams (generally collecting dust unused) I don’t know any of the girls who has any home equipment.

Yes, I hate it too, it's the one aspect of gymnastics that really makes me wish we'd/she'd chosen something else, but of course you don't know what you're getting into in the beginning, and then it's too late! I wish I knew where these clubs were that don't do this - you're so lucky!

sympathies, but really your experiences are not typical. My DD has girls in her squad who are competing from level 5 to level 3 and aged from 10 to 14, okay none are compulsory gymnast, but then the majority of UK gymnast aren't on the compulsory track.

Sometimes its better to step away from the powerhouse gyms and find one that succeeds at all levels and lets the girls develop at their own speed and reach their full potential.

Oh, and I only know one person who has an air track, and that was borrowed from a seller.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back