Cody help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
Okay I give up. I had my cody and now it is gone. I have a meet in 2 weeks. I don't feel close to the skill at all. I feel like I have never done it. I do the back 3/4 fine and then kick and start to tuck only to open up and land on my back. I don't feel afraid anymore more like just stuck and like I cannot physically make it over. So I am curious on how others teach or learn codys from the beginning. Like step by step. We do have a nice throw mat but no one able to spot it. Any help, tricks, tips or advice would be fantastic!

I think you've already been through all the drills & progressions that we do--3/4 back to back to pullover is our big one, & occasionally 3/4 back to back tuck from stomach to stomach. Like a porpoise except backwards (and mostly that's a mind hack for kids who absolutely can and should pull it but are freaking themselves out & doing what you're doing...so maybe it will help, but I wouldn't try it without someone throwing a mat).

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is back drop pull to back drop & backtucks to back, if it's an "ohgodohgodIcannotrotatethisfar" kind of thing. Just reminding your body that it can do 5/4 can be helpful.

Thanks I will keep plugging away. I think my biggest thing right now is I don't understand how to time the kick and I feel like I am going to go flat from my stomach and won't be able to rotate. As I am going to my back I feel like my chest is way down, not like I kicked and pulled my knees to my chest. I feel is is correct maybe 2 out of 10 times to do a cody but my coach feels I could do all of them. Here are some videos for reference. The first one is my compulsory routine with the cody pre freak out. MOV00911 - YouTube These next 2 are me chickening out. I can tell in one one leg kicks before the other but other than that are these flippable? MOV00974 - YouTube MOV00975 - YouTube

OK this may be totally wrong so if any coaches want to correct me please do :)

My "feel" for the cody and timing the kick comes from the chest and arms. So do the 3/4 back, then when you hit the bed push the arms straight and lift the chest. Once you feel the upper body start to lift up, then bring the knees in to speed up the rotation.

I can't really see your position on the bed because of the camera angle. If you are pushing your arms down, that may be bringing your chest down so you feel you aren't lifting and won't get the height?

Again, apologies if that is totally the wrong thing to to officially, but it's how it works in my head :p

Are there any coaches that are good spotters in the area that you could invite to the club for a day? Or could you visit another club for a day to get a spot?...field trip time!

I would just jump in on this one to make sure you turned over...but yes...you must have someone that is a good and confident spotter...you are quite high...so you would be an easy spot...

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuk3dh-npg[/video]

Sadly no one can spot me. My coach is like half my weight and she said no anyways. I went to a clinic hoping to get help but the guy coaching had a blown knee and said he wanted to spot me but couldn't. I don't have any near by gyms that can spot the closest is a 3 hour journey :( I also had an hour long private yesterday where my coach threw in a mat over and over and I got frustrated and she got frustrated. I really want to pull it around but as in the videos I get to a spot and break open because I just don't feel like I'll make it over. I am so annoyed and at a loss of what to do.

Sadly no one can spot me. My coach is like half my weight and she said no anyways. I went to a clinic hoping to get help but the guy coaching had a blown knee and said he wanted to spot me but couldn't. I don't have any near by gyms that can spot the closest is a 3 hour journey :( I also had an hour long private yesterday where my coach threw in a mat over and over and I got frustrated and she got frustrated. I really want to pull it around but as in the videos I get to a spot and break open because I just don't feel like I'll make it over. I am so annoyed and at a loss of what to do.

People do a lot for gymnastics...give the gym a call...take the 3 hour journey...sounds like a fun road trip. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back