WAG College Bound Showcase?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Traci

Proud Parent
Does anyone have any experience having their gymnast attend the College Bound Showcase? Just looking for defeatism as to what I can Expect.

Bummed our coach isn’t going and worries that will play a negative factor...

It's just like a practice. Each girl gets a number, they write it on their leg. The college coaches stand on the outskirts and watch everyone and take notes. They rotate through events. No one does routines or anything - it really is just like a practice. I'm not sure if a coach not going will matter -they can easily look at the girls number and email the coach later if need be.

Been to several a few years ago. I second what groovygirl said, glorified practice. Like she said, each girl is assigned a number (and some regions also give out leotards or hair ribbons— each color representing a graduation year so that college coaches can easily see what year a girl is). The girls warm up and then rotate to each event. It would’ve been extremely helpful if your dds coach would go to “sell” her to prospective colleges..you know go over and talk to the coaches of colleges that she is interested in and let them know a bit about her personality (she’s a leader in the gym, a hard worker, a motivator, brilliant, etc) — but if her coaches aren’t that type (to be helpful like that) then it’s no hardship not having them there

As others have said, however .... I always thought a coach was mandatory. Never thought about sending my kids alone so I am not certain.

Been to several a few years ago. I second what groovygirl said, glorified practice. Like she said, each girl is assigned a number (and some regions also give out leotards or hair ribbons— each color representing a graduation year so that college coaches can easily see what year a girl is). The girls warm up and then rotate to each event. It would’ve been extremely helpful if your dds coach would go to “sell” her to prospective colleges..you know go over and talk to the coaches of colleges that she is interested in and let them know a bit about her personality (she’s a leader in the gym, a hard worker, a motivator, brilliant, etc) — but if her coaches aren’t that type (to be helpful like that) then it’s no hardship not having them there

I am guessing now some of this will change anyway. IIRC, coaches can only talk to colleges after June 15 after the sophomore year. That will limit who they can talk about. (now, I know nothing about these as I have a boy, and they have nothing like this for the men's side :( )

As others have said, however .... I always thought a coach was mandatory. Never thought about sending my kids alone so I am not certain.
come to think of it, yes.....it was mandatory for at least 1 of your coaches to attend with kid at all the regional camps/showcases in both regions that we attended. Not sure if that has changed, can't imagine why it would have though

DD went to one over the weekend without coaches (coaches had previous conflicts before the schedule came out). DD is still a level 9 (and repeating) so wasn't expecting much recruiting for her anyway and she is in the "no communication" age for D1. Went for the experience and learning. She was assigned a coach from a gym that was in her rotation that helped with equipment settings etc. DD's coach prepared her ahead of time on what she should work on and how to present herself so she was prepared on what to do. We do expect to have coaches there going forward though, especially since she will be able to communicate next year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back