College Gym for Australians

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok. So im 15 years old, national level 8 Australian standard and am wondering how the american collge system works.
I'm thinking of doing college gymnastics in America if I can also do a degree at the same time.
So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how the American College systems work? Because I'm struggling to find any information and I'd like to know:
-If I can study at the same time as doing gym
-Can get a scholarship/how much would it cost without a scholarship
-What fitness level/skills do I need to have
-Would I be able to study because Im foreign
-How does college gymnastics work
-how does college work in America

As you can see, I am uneducated when it comes to America so please please hep me out here :) I would really appreciate anything that can help.
thank you so much! :D

The only Australians who have gone over to the USA on college scholarships so far have been those who were in the Elite level. And even they had trouble, Chloe Sims had to return because she did not have the right subjects.

In Australia you don't have to do any compulsory subjects in Grades 11 and 12 except generally English. In the USA they require a lot more.

I'd like to know:
-If I can study at the same time as doing gym

You don't have a choice if you are in NCAA. All NCAA athletes have to maintain a minimum GPA, and some teams have higher standards than the minimum. If you are planning on doing club or NAIGC, you will have to do some serious time management, budgeting and planning.

I'd like to know:
-Can get a scholarship/how much would it cost without a scholarship

At your level, you probably would not qualify for an athletic scholarship, but depending upon your grades, you might qualify for an academic scholarship. American colleges also give need-based financial aid, although as a foreign student, this might be limited depending upon the institution. Tuition varies greatly, from about $3,000/year for a California resident at Cal State Fullerton to $36,500/year at Yale.

I'd like to know:
-What fitness level/skills do I need to have

It really depends upon the kind of gymnastics you want to do. If you want to do club in the United States, or NAIGC, you should try and be at least as fit and skilled as a US Level 9.

I'd like to know:
-How does college gymnastics work
In the United States, almost all NCAA teams are looking for Level 10s or Elites. Unlike club, NCAA athletes are limited to 20 hours of training and competition a week. While many athletes get "full ride" athletic scholarships (tuition, books, housing), others get partial scholarships, or none at all (a.k.a. "walk ons"). Again, gymnasts who don't get a full ride almost always get other financial aid.

I'd like to know:
-how does college work in America
Pretty well. You might want to ask a more specific question if you want more specific information. Hope this helps.

yes it helped heaps! thanks you :D I live in australia so i have no idea how it all works so any information is great.
How old do you have to be to get into College gymnastics and what subjects do i need to have to study medicine (if i can)
My knowledge of American college is shocking :eek:

How old do you have to be to get into College gymnastics
There is no age limit either way. One of my daughter's former teammates competed in the 2004 Athens Olympics, took a break for 5 years, and then competed last year as a 20-something old freshman in college.

what subjects do i need to have to study medicine (if i can)
You would not study medicine, as such, but rather would work towards a compatible bachelor's degree, such as biology. Medical school would then be an additional four years. Actually, you can enter med school with any degree (even dance or theater) but you would need to take specific subjects, such as biology, chemistry, etc. Your college advisors would help you plan a suitable curriculum, but that information is also freely available on the web.

I had been granted a tennis scholarship at ucla. I would assume the requirements would be the same. If you check out the ncaa rules it tells you what subjects you need to take. If I can remember you needed a science,maths, english and a social science eg history. Maybe you could write to the colleges directly to find out the requirements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back