WAG College gymnastics and homeschooling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom41

Proud Parent
Anyone have an idea what percentage of girls that compete in college home-schooled through high school? Is it a majority so that they have enough hours to train or do many do traditional high school?

Majority of our level 10s and the three with college offers/scholarships are all in regular school. I think one has a modified schedule but overall they go to school as usual. One homeschools. We have 14 level 10s

It will be hard to find accurate statistics on this. But I am pretty sure majority Level 10s go to regular school. I think however on the elite level, it is the opposite. For those aspiring to do college gym, I think it is better to go to regular school and get the college requirements.

Colleges actually prefer regular school for at least the senior year. Helps them to prepare for college work and social aspects

Colleges actually prefer regular school for at least the senior year. Helps them to prepare for college work and social aspects
I have heard the opposite. Many colleges court homeschoolers as they are often motivated learners who are not burned out on school.

I have heard the opposite. Many colleges court homeschoolers as they are often motivated learners who are not burned out on school.

I’m guessing it’s a function of wanting kids who know how to function while overburdened, time-wise more than wanting kids who will be the most prepared academically. I don’t personally know any homeschoolers who haven’t already taken a number of college courses, which obviously prep them well for more college courses. I don’t know homeschoolers who do it for gym though. I think homeschoolers are better with time management than the average kid, but I’m biased. Ha.

I’m guessing it’s a function of wanting kids who know how to function while overburdened, time-wise more than wanting kids who will be the most prepared academically. I don’t personally know any homeschoolers who haven’t already taken a number of college courses, which obviously prep them well for more college courses. I don’t know homeschoolers who do it for gym though. I think homeschoolers are better with time management than the average kid, but I’m biased. Ha.
I am biased the other way I guess. My kid leaves for school 7:30am, does full class load at regular HS, gets out during her study hall and we drive straight to the gym (doing homework on the way....it a 75min drive), pits in 4.5hrs at practice, we drive the 75min home while she does more homework:study and eats,..getting home 9:45pm.——all while maintaining solid A+ and top class ranking. Gymnasts who attend regular school while traveling for their training are the most regimented and on task kids I know! It is all they know, how to budget time and make study plans. Absolutely no procrastinating

Most homeschool HS kids I know roll out of bed when it suits them (before 9 or 10), starts school about 9:30-10, finishes at noon and has rest of day to relax before heading to a sport or job.

They don’t stress, if they don’t get whatever assignments done today, no problem, as long as it’s turned in by a weekly or monthly timeline. Running behind, no problem, just pick up that lesson back up later.

Meanwhile my kid would get an F if it went in a day late and there were no extenuating circumstances. And I don’t know a teacher that takes kindly to “i’ll Pick that lesson up later”.

I’m sure there homeschoolers out there that are regimented and on task. I’m sure there are great time budget homeschoolers who work afternoons or evenings or have a sport to get to. I’m NOT at all saying that all homeschooled HS programs are lax, so don’t blast me. It’s just been my experience with the HS kids I do know.

I am biased the other way I guess. My kid leaves for school 7:30am, does full class load at regular HS, gets out during her study hall and we drive straight to the gym (doing homework on the way....it a 75min drive), pits in 4.5hrs at practice, we drive the 75min home while she does more homework:study and eats,..getting home 9:45pm.——all while maintaining solid A+ and top class ranking. Gymnasts who attend regular school while traveling for their training are the most regimented and on task kids I know! It is all they know, how to budget time and make study plans. Absolutely no procrastinating

Most homeschool HS kids I know roll out of bed when it suits them (before 9 or 10), starts school about 9:30-10, finishes at noon and has rest of day to relax before heading to a sport or job.

They don’t stress, if they don’t get whatever assignments done today, no problem, as long as it’s turned in by a weekly or monthly timeline. Running behind, no problem, just pick up that lesson back up later.

Meanwhile my kid would get an F if it went in a day late and there were no extenuating circumstances. And I don’t know a teacher that takes kindly to “i’ll Pick that lesson up later”.

I’m sure there homeschoolers out there that are regimented and on task. I’m sure there are great time budget homeschoolers who work afternoons or evenings or have a sport to get to. I’m NOT at all saying that all homeschooled HS programs are lax, so don’t blast me. It’s just been my experience with the HS kids I do know.
Everyone’s experiences will vary. I see my kids and their friends, and thats where my impression comes from. I would argue that not having the regiment forced down your throat and still being academically successful on your terms says something different than showing up where you are told and doing what you’re told. On the flip side of that, many of the traditionally schooled gymnasts that we know don’t care about learning and just get by- sometimes with some really late nights of work- but no real passion for knowledge. It’s all in what you’re encountering. Perhaps my kid is just special and not the norm in homeschool.. ha. I’ll take that too.

ETA: my kid just finished a college math class that started at 6:30 am three days a week, a half hour away. She *chose* to get up that early because her research showed her that was the best teacher/class combo for her. Other days she will sleep till 10. Homeschool means they can learn to make those sorts of decisions, which they’ll absolutely have to make for themselves in college.

I know that when we were going through the recruiting process (twice), there were some issues with the curriculum of some of the HS gymnast recruits, and they were having to return to brick and mortar schools for their last year or 2 to get the course work needed to be NCAA eligible. I don't know all the details but I believe some of the BYU courses on line were not being given credit and the kids were coming up short...but not aware of it until it was too late. We know of at least one gymnast who had a scholarship and then lost the scholarship because something was amiss with her HS credits, and she went to the local high school for a year to make up those credits.

We had more than one coach comment that they were glad we were in "regular school" so they wouldn't have to worry about the eligibility of the girls high school courses.

I will add- it seems the easiest way to maintain eligibility as a homeschooler is to just homeschool- not sign up for a distance school. You can absolutely be eligible with all parent designed and led classes, but outside providers can be tricky and their eligibility can change. Just a PSA.

I think what is deceiving by saying "Most L10's bound for college go to regular school" is that people think they always went to regular school. To me it seems most girls that go to college and get to L10 early (Say grades 8&9) are homeschooled during those crucial middle school years. That ALLOWS them to get to L10 early b/c they do intensive training. Then once they are there they go back to regular school. They weren't there the entire time.

I think what is deceiving by saying "Most L10's bound for college go to regular school" is that people think they always went to regular school. To me it seems most girls that go to college and get to L10 early (Say grades 8&9) are homeschooled during those crucial middle school years. That ALLOWS them to get to L10 early b/c they do intensive training. Then once they are there they go back to regular school. They weren't there the entire time.
This is true for us and many in our gym. Homeschooling thru the middle years allowed for training that wouldn’t have been available at other times (due to capacity issues with coaching and space). So, regular High School is the plan but it hasn’t been that way all the way through.

For some gyms that may be true but at my DD's, the pre-elites all went at least some part of the day to a brick and mortar school in both middle and high school. I know in my DD's case, she took the core curriculum at the school and did the "electives" via home schooling.

This is an interesting question/discussion as I posted something similar a while back. I hadn't thought about how some homeschooled during middle school and then went back. This has been a major concern of ours. Our school system offers zero "modifications" at least in middle school and this makes my kiddo potentially late by 45 min for every practice. And, exhausted as the gym is far away. Late nights, early mornings and long days. I had thought that maybe in the middle school years we should consider homeschool but couldn't make peace with it, so we are just plugging along. We always "pick" school over gymnastics. Meaning, my kid often misses a practice a week due to tests/homework or exhaustion. I should add she has a health diagnosis that has required per her physician we try as hard as possible to avoid TOO much exhaustion (sounds snow-flake ish...but it is what it is...scary stuff). So...anyway, just always wondering what the right thing is to do during this I suppose "crucial" time of training levels 8/9 as a 6th grader. Thanks for all the info chalkbucket peeps.

We did brick and mortar from start to finish...granted we were at smaller private schools that accommodated their schedules so that really helped them stay in school vs homeschooling.
We had considered private schools as well. A little more accommodation with my kid's schedule would be helpful. Technically, I have taken my kid out early to get her to practice on time/get to carpool, however these count as "tardies" and add up to absences and eventually I get letters from the school system. They have to follow protocol and I understand, but it bugs my rule-following self. ;-)

For some gyms that may be true but at my DD's, the pre-elites all went at least some part of the day to a brick and mortar school in both middle and high school. I know in my DD's case, she took the core curriculum at the school and did the "electives" via home schooling.
Some of my daughter's teammates have school districts that allow them to do electives via home school. Sounds great. I wish our school system had an option like that.

Welll...I have anecdotally been paying attention to this in the meet programs to entertain myself during college gym meets in our area. Granted, the college team here is a very good D1 team. But, it appears that over half of the girls do seem to homeschool. However, that being said, many of the girls were elite gymnasts who dropped back to 10 for college gymnastics. The more disheartening thing than the school piece is that it appears you almost have to go elite at least for a while to be competitive for a college team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back