WAG College Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gigi

Proud Parent
I have asked this before but didn't get a lot of response so I want to ask again. For those of you with college gymnasts, when are they heading back? Some schools already announced online only for Fall, so how will they practice? Have we heard what is going to happen to the 2020-21 season? And for incoming freshman, what are the coaches telling them?

I have asked this before but didn't get a lot of response so I want to ask again. For those of you with college gymnasts, when are they heading back? Some schools already announced online only for Fall, so how will they practice? Have we heard what is going to happen to the 2020-21 season? And for incoming freshman, what are the coaches telling them?

I haven't seen any colleges announcing definitive plans yet. I think most are doing contingency planning.

I haven't seen any colleges announcing definitive plans yet. I think most are doing contingency planning.
There are a few who committed to online and a few committed to being back in person, but with changes to campus life. Most definitely are holding out hope for better information to base decisions on. Sports are definitely up in the air, but football (surprise surprise) is expected to be heading back to make that money. I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I’m looking forward to hearing what’s happening with college gym.

mine is at home right now. She will head back and train there as soon as the uni has been given the all clear to train there. They (the uni) has not made any announcements for fall. They have made plans for several different scenarios but are hoping to have student life back to normal for fall

@flippin out I don’t think truly back to normal is something that ANY college in the US will deliver this fall. There will be a continuum though, I bet.
Right. That’s why I said that they were planning for several different scenarios. Of course they (and everyone) would hope for a return to normal student life though.....Doesn’t mean that they are betting on that, hence the planning for all contingencies

I have a freshman. Her coach hasn’t mentioned anything about contingency plans for fall but we all know it’s likely her school year will be very different. The coach has talked about when it’s time to return to training all the precautions that will be needed to prevent injury after being out of the gym for so long. Most of the girls on DD’s team are from states that will not have open gyms anytime soon. Otherwise, she’s been asked for her clothing and leotard sizes and she’s received a ton of paperwork to complete for athletics.

It’s an odd mix of moving forward and making plans for fall but also being realistic that none of this will happen by Labor Day.

d's team trains at their own gyms in the summer and they will begin training based on their own state policies when the gyms can open. The college has not given any information regarding the fall yet for move in, classes, etc. The students are still waiting to get into their dorms to move out all of their stuff, which should happen at the end of this month.

Don’t have college gymnast but do have college kid. As for fall we just received email last night saying campus will reopen in the fall but it is a fluid situation as to what fall semester will look like. It was a long letter that really did not have anything concrete in it.

College tuition payments are due in July, I personally will not pay unless there is a concrete plan (for in person classes) as of yesterday it is all very vague and assume majority of colleges are similar. I would assume, hope, each college will have a better plan by tuition payment date which Is still 2 months away.

My daughter has given her sizes for gear, signed up for dorms and does a regular zoom and IG with the other recruits. They are acting like all is a go for fall but they have a really late start date. Summer school is online and athlete orientation was cancelled. Her college state had an open date set and will be open before her home state.

@Tigtimes in that instance would your kid be allowed to take time off and do so, or would they transfer?

it is my understanding that the option to take semester off or defer a year will result in loss of merit scholarships - we would have had him take time off otherwise. College did a survey with students asking if fall was online would they return, the majority said no. We were issued a room and board credit but that gets applied to fall term, it’s not like you got a check back. So ......we are hoping for the best and will have to make some tough decisions if not.

it is my understanding that the option to take semester off or defer a year will result in loss of merit scholarships - we would have had him take time off otherwise. College did a survey with students asking if fall was online would they return, the majority said no. We were issued a room and board credit but that gets applied to fall term, it’s not like you got a check back. So ......we are hoping for the best and will have to make some tough decisions if not.
Well, that truly sucks. We are lucky that my kids won’t lose anything if they defer or take a leave- their schools have always been committed to allowing both. I’m surprised you didn’t get a check back. I thought that was standard in this. We actually got a (definitely not full refund) check back and we didn’t even pay in the first place. I’m sorry that the school isn’t being more flexible.

I’m surprised you didn’t get a check back. I thought that was standard in this.

Not sure there is a standard, I have read of many lawsuits regarding this issue. Graduating seniors received a refund check. It is a strange time for all parents and institutions.

There are a few who committed to online and a few committed to being back in person, but with changes to campus life. Most definitely are holding out hope for better information to base decisions on. Sports are definitely up in the air, but football (surprise surprise) is expected to be heading back to make that money. I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I’m looking forward to hearing what’s happening with college gym.
I think many football programs are hopeful (and they're possibly the loudest) but there are no plans. This is my husbands area of work, things don't look any better for football than they do other sports, really.

My DD, former gymnast now diver, hasn't heard anything yet. Her university is alleging going to announce plans for all on or around 7/15. We're anticipating that it will be a mix of online and in person classes depending on the type of class. No idea how they are going to handle athletics. Ironically, swimming and diving could be done with social distancing. They'd have to have more practices and heats during meets but it could be done.

Everyone in higher ed is waiting to see what's going to happen. A group at Penn State put together a good presentation on what social distancing needs to look like in college classrooms, and that was a huge wakeup call. Most institutions have everything scheduled up pretty tightly, with class caps set at the room capacities. Even if we go back to in person, schedules will be upended, as classes have to be put in rooms where students can sit six feet apart and there has to be enough time for people to enter and leave rooms one at a time.

Face-to-face will be prioritized for classes that really need it, like labs, music, art, etc. Very large lecture classes are unlikely to be face-to-face. Everybody is frantically reading up on hybrid course design, because even for face-to-face, we are being told we'll need to accommodate students who don't feel safe being in the classroom.

I expect most institutions will make the call about whether or not they are going back sometime in June. Once that decision is made, others will follow sequentially. But everyone's on notice that whatever we plan, we need to be ready to flip back online again if another shutdown happens.

one of our state universities may be doing half semesters and having the students take only 2 or 3 courses per block. This cuts down on the number of people each student is in contact with. I really do not like this idea. I think it will be really difficult on the STEM courses in particular. A lot of information crammed into 7.5 weeks.

For sure, I think large lecture courses will be online. In person courses will be capped and be placed in the larger classrooms. Possibly even a split class where only 1/2 the class attends in person each day. The other 1/2 streams or the in person class time is use for questions/solving the harder problems while the rest of the course is done through video and reading. That's how my kids' online high school is set up (one weekly session with the teacher and the rest is independent).

But college gymnasts usually start training in the summer, no? I don't think anyone is going back in the summer based on the current situation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back