WAG College Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But college gymnasts usually start training in the summer, no? I don't think anyone is going back in the summer based on the current situation.
the top teams train together in the summer at the colleges but a lot of the lower teams, including the D2/3 teams all train at their home gyms during the summer, or work at overnight gym camps where they can also train.

It seems like most can get training at their clubs this summer, except for those in NY/NJ/PA/FL/CA/WA/NC/MI/IL. It looks like quite a few states are open now, and more next week. I think the NY tri-state area/PA and CA will be the last to open but gymnasts in those states can probably get private club training in their college state by July, if different to get up to speed. Unless, all hits the fan again. :(

It seems like most can get training at their clubs this summer, except for those in NY/NJ/PA/FL/CA/WA/NC/MI/IL. It looks like quite a few states are open now, and more next week. I think the NY tri-state area/PA and CA will be the last to open but gymnasts in those states can probably get private club training in their college state by July, if different to get up to speed. Unless, all hits the fan again. :(
NC is in phase 1 and should hit phase 2 next week. The gyms should be open by mid june. modified practices and all but still practices I would figure FL is the same since they have already begun to lift restrictions

Spoke with a graduating hs senior soccer player yesterday. She and her brother were working out at a local field. Her senior soccer season was cancelled (obviously) so her older brother has been training her so she'll be ready when she moves to college in July. (scholarship athlete)

Soccer is so much easier to keep up the training for than is gymnastics, especially when you come from a soccer family like she does. I hope she gets the chance to see this dream to fruition!

Reactions: SMH
Everyone in higher ed is waiting to see what's going to happen. A group at Penn State put together a good presentation on what social distancing needs to look like in college classrooms, and that was a huge wakeup call. Most institutions have everything scheduled up pretty tightly, with class caps set at the room capacities. Even if we go back to in person, schedules will be upended, as classes have to be put in rooms where students can sit six feet apart and there has to be enough time for people to enter and leave rooms one at a time.

Face-to-face will be prioritized for classes that really need it, like labs, music, art, etc. Very large lecture classes are unlikely to be face-to-face. Everybody is frantically reading up on hybrid course design, because even for face-to-face, we are being told we'll need to accommodate students who don't feel safe being in the classroom.

I expect most institutions will make the call about whether or not they are going back sometime in June. Once that decision is made, others will follow sequentially. But everyone's on notice that whatever we plan, we need to be ready to flip back online again if another shutdown happens.

In Montreal the colleges and Uni's put out this week that fall term will basically be online. They are trying to work out the logistics of programs where hands on labs are essential. The university has a huge population, and a very large percentage are International students. Have 40,000 students congregate for classes, from all over the world, just seems like a bad plan.

It is very hard to imagine social distancing in shared dorm rooms and cafeteria's etc

Collegiate sports did not even rate a mention, but NCAA is not a thing here. But our athletes still need answers.

My daughter finally heard from her college coach. While everything is wait and see, it doesn't appear there will be summer training. The recruits had a zoom meeting, so she doesn't feel so disconnected and wondering what's going on as much now.

In Montreal the colleges and Uni's put out this week that fall term will basically be online. They are trying to work out the logistics of programs

If Fall is online, they won't have enough time to train plus it won't be safe! What would happen if some schools are on line for Fall and some are not. I wonder if they would have still an season with less teams and maybe a condensed schedule.

If Fall is online, they won't have enough time to train plus it won't be safe! What would happen if some schools are on line for Fall and some are not. I wonder if they would have still an season with less teams and maybe a condensed schedule.

A very good question, my guess is some schools will not compete this season.

Here Universities were one of the first institutions to close, and it appears that they will be one of the last to reopen. Students don’t tend to live on campus often in our universities, most live at home with parents or move out with friends. So the problems of living in dorms are not as much of an issue. But large lectures, and students travelling from so many places to attend are the problem.

It is still the first half of the school year here. Our Universities have two Semesters each school year, the first going from Feb-June and the second going from July- November. Some uni’s have announced that Semester two will be online, despite it being more than 2 months until they start. Most universities have said nothing about Semester two thus far.

I have some family in Canada, now (YVR) and when I was a kid, I had developped a kind of canadaphilia. Is gymnastics a sport that is done by USports (or whatever their body is called now)? On a tangent, does Canada have a Title IX equivalent (maybe some way to use Chapter 15, which seems all-encompasing)?

I have some family in Canada, now (YVR) and when I was a kid, I had developped a kind of canadaphilia. Is gymnastics a sport that is done by USports (or whatever their body is called now)? On a tangent, does Canada have a Title IX equivalent (maybe some way to use Chapter 15, which seems all-encompasing)?

College gymnastics is not really a thing here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back