WAG College Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can someone explain to me how college gymnastics works? What are the different divisions, and how does one get picked for a specific division?

Hi, that’s a really big and complicated question. I suggest you use google to look up college gymnastics. We simply can’t give you an accurate answer here in the amount of space we have. Also, how old are you?

This is a really big question and I agree you should definitely do some serious research if you are interested in this. But here is a very surface level run down.

There are three divisions.

D1 - These programs take the top gymnasts in the country. They have 12 scholarships and have to give out 12 full scholarships. They are not allowed to split the scholarships between girls. They also may take walk ons which are full team members but not on scholarship. Generally, you will need to be a strong level 10 to get on these teams.

D2 - This is the middle level. They also usually take only level 10s but might be more tolerant of weaknesses on an event or overall less advanced level 10 skills or polish. They have 6 scholarships and can spread them out across their teams however they see fit.

D3 - These programs do not offer scholarships but many will help you out financially at their school through financial aid, scholarships, waivers etc. They are a little more low key. We know two level 9s that left this year for D3 gymnastics programs and are loving it. One received half her tuition paid through scholarship as part of the package they offered her for academics upon admission. There is still mostly level 10s but they are known to take level 9s with a strong event and I even heard of a EXCEL platinum that got picked up by a D3 program.

Ivy League - These are D1 programs but they don’t offer scholarships. It’s a whole different deal. Have to get in on academic merit.

Club gymnastics - Many colleges have club gymnastics teams and this is a great way to continue the sport you love just for fun.

Acro and Tumbling - This is fairly new. It is like a mix of tumbling and cheer and is a great opportunity for gymnasts. I don’t know much about it but I hear you need strong level 8 tumbling and above. I know a couple of girls who have gone this route and got full rides to top programs after switching to cheer late in their gymnastics careers.

The best way to get recruited is to research the different schools that offer programs. Here is a list

Gymnastics - https://usagym.org/pages/home/college/womeninfo.html
Acro and Tumbling - https://usagym.org/pages/home/college/atinfo.html

Then when you find programs/schools that interest you reach out to their coaches. Get an instagram and a youtube channel and post lots of videos of your skills and routines and send them out to the coaches. If they are interested they will respond.

Good Luck!

Wow thanks so much for that! Im not interested in going to College myself, Im just interested in gymnastics, trying to understand how it works. So it seems quite hard to be recruited with a scholarship. Does anyone know what percentage of level 10's are recruited by D1 or D2? Also once a gymnast has qualified elite, is there still an option to get a college scholarship? Plain curiousity!

Yes! Elites can Definitely do college gym and many do. The one thing with that is if you go pro (money and sponsorships) then you can not do college gym Anymore. So for example, Simone biles, Laurie Hernandez, gabbie Douglas, Jordan wieber, Aly raismam and many others turned pro so couldn’t do college gym. But many others don’t turn pro and compete very successfully in college. too many to list.

not Sure about percentage of level 10s but wild guess would be like 25% maybe.

Sorry, maybe it was diamond. I don’t know much about excel. It was just something I heard, but from someone with first hand knowledge but I definitely could have gotten the level wrong. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back