Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

College meet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Feb 20, 2014
Country
USA
I've been to the NCAA championships, but never a regular meet.

How does it work with only two teams? Do they only do events at one time? or all four, and the teams are split up?
Also - about how long do they last?

Thanks for any info!

Jard.the.gymnast

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Apr 12, 2017
Country
Netherlands
For as far as I know, team one starts on bars and team two on vault. Once they are done, they rotate (team one to vault and team two to bars). They do the same with beam and vault

CoachAlex

Coach
Coach
Former Gymnast
Aug 8, 2017
Country
USA
That is correct - at a dual meet the home team starts on vault, the visiting team on bars, and then they switch (so the home team ends up competing in Olympic order and the visiting team competes in reverse Olympic order). As far as length of meet, probably two hours - only 6 gymnasts compete on each event for each team, and the most that will compete on an event in 8 (they are allowed up to two exhibition routines, but usually a team will only exhibition 1 gymnast per event, if any at all).

Reactions: Aero and coachp

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Feb 20, 2014
Country
USA
Thanks so much!!!
Trying to work out details if I can get my daughter up to see the Gators this year :)

Reactions: ladybird

GymMom4

Proud Parent
Jan 8, 2013
Country
USA
Yes, they are so fun.

We got to go to an OU meet last season and it was great!

GAgymmom

Proud Parent
Judge
Oct 25, 2010
Country
USA
Also, the gymnast goes on vault, and then the gymnast goes on bars, and then the next gymnast goes on vault, and the next gymnast goes on bars. No one competes when someone else is competing.

Reactions: M2Abi

gymgal

Proud Parent
Aug 22, 2008
Country
USA
Also, the gymnast goes on vault, and then the gymnast goes on bars, and then the next gymnast goes on vault, and the next gymnast goes on bars. No one competes when someone else is competing.
I love this about 2 team meets. When there are more teams it is too chaotic, always feeling like you are missing someone's routines.

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Feb 20, 2014
Country
USA
I didn't know that - that makes it even better!! We've been to the NCAA championships twice, and the Olympic trials last year. It's SO hard to keep track when you want to see EVERYONE!!

M2Abi

Proud Parent
Jan 21, 2016
Country
USA
We have a college team nearby and it is SO fun to go to the meets. Ours are very reasonably priced also.

Status
Not open for further replies.