Parents Coming back from an injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRatMama

Proud Parent
My daughter broke her big toe during vault practice last Monday night. We saw 2 different doctors who both said it was a small fracture. They put her in a boot & said she will probably be in it for about 4 wks, possibly a bit shorter or longer. She is devastated about missing a meet this weekend. Her next meet is in 5 weeks. She thinks she will be okay to compete then, but I am skeptical. If I scratch her from the meet in the next few days I can get a refund, but if I take a wait and see approach I will lose the fees. More importantly than money, I don't want her to come back too soon and re-injure or get a new injury. The coach thinks maybe she will be okay to compete on just beam and bars because she is still going to the gym to do some conditions. We will see the doctor again in two weeks. We will have a better idea of her healing progress then. Does anyone have any experience about returning to competition after an injury? Her last injury was not during competition season so it wasn't as much of an issue.

A relative of mine broke her toe and competed 4wks later. That's the only experience I have of that sort of injuries but thought I'd share.

Thanks for sharing. The doc originally said 4 weeks in the boot, but when we went back for her 3 week check up she suggested 2-3 more weeks in the boot for a total
of 5-6 weeks. She doesn't want her to re-injure it. My DD is so frustrated and is missing another meet. Her next meet is in 2 weeks- she might be ready to compete bars and beam, possibly vault, but the coach seems to think she will skip floor at her first meet back. We go back to the doc in 2 days. Hopefully it will come off then.

My daughter is in a boot right now for 4 weeks for an ankle injury . After those 4 weeks she has 2 meets left in the season .. One in only a week and the other in 4 weeks . Her coach has already said she thinks she is going to scratch her because she is afraid if she rushes back she may reinjure . We go back Tuesday to go over MRI results and we will know better what we are dealing with too and make a final decision . My daughter is a new level 9 which is hard to just bounce back .. If your daughter is at an easier level which she has been doing the skills for a while it might be easier for her . Good luck !! I know it's very frustrating .. She's going crazy in this boot!!

Sounds like our experience too. Good luck to her and hope that she is able to compete this year!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back