WAG common ages and reasons to quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

daisy

Hello!

I was wondering how long a "normal" body can stand gymnastics training on average?

I know a lot of girls who have done gymnastics when they were young. They were probably Level 6 or so and not too competetive, but quit at age 13-16! And when they are in their 20s, they can maybe do a back handspring on the tramp, but that's it.

Of course, if they would work hard they might get it back...but that's not common!

I also know girls who have been really really good and nearly Level 10. But they usually quit at age 19, because their body couldn't stand the training anymore!

So what do you think, what is the average age kids quit the sport, what are the reasons and how many of the "kids-gymnasts" can still do their skills in their late 20s?

Gymnastics peaks in popularity around age 8, from there the numbers will slowly decline.

You usually get the bigger drops at the start of middle school and again at the start of high school because of the life changes that are involved.

But simply not being able to handle it with their bodies is only one reason they stop. Other common reasons include.

1. Everything in their life demands more time. As gymnasts reach higher levels they need to train more and more hours. But also as they hit middle and high school their hour expectations increase in those areas too. Usually a longer commute to school, longer school day, more school commitments and more homework. There are not enough hours left in the day.

2. Fear. Once kids get older they think more, their brains develop the ability to consider possible consequences of their actions for things that have not even happened. Many girls get scared.

3. Body's changing. As their bodies change many girls no longer want to do a sport where they must prance around in a leotard.

4. Interests change as you get older. A lot of kids enjoy that ally different things.

5. Social pressure. To teens fitting in is the most important thing in the world. To always be missing out on things because of gymnastics can drive them out of the sport.

6. The desire to have money, they see their friends with part time jobs and they want one too. Not enough hours in the day left to train.

7. School, kids and parents see school and homework as being more important as they get older. As well as doing extra school activities.

8. Freedom changes. When they are young it usually go to gymnastics or be at home, going to gymnastics is going out and doing things and seeing friends. When they get older it's go to gymnastics or go out with friends. Gymnastics is no longer the outing.

I've seen at DD's gym, some girls get frustrated with new skills that don't come as easily as they had in the past and will walk away from gymnastics. Since we're in Texas, most of them transition from gymnastics right into competitive cheerleading (which DD's gym has as well), and they're having a fabulous time.

As for being able to do skills later in life, DD's HC is in her 40s and choreographs all the optionals girls routines. When she is teaching a given gymnast her routine, the first thing she does is show them what the routine is supposed to look like--with all the tumbling passes included!

Hello!

I was wondering how long a "normal" body can stand gymnastics training on average?

I know a lot of girls who have done gymnastics when they were young. They were probably Level 6 or so and not too competetive, but quit at age 13-16! And when they are in their 20s, they can maybe do a back handspring on the tramp, but that's it.

Of course, if they would work hard they might get it back...but that's not common!

I also know girls who have been really really good and nearly Level 10. But they usually quit at age 19, because their body couldn't stand the training anymore!

So what do you think, what is the average age kids quit the sport, what are the reasons and how many of the "kids-gymnasts" can still do their skills in their late 20s?

8th grade.

the sport is too hard

not many

DS is in 8th Grade.
working through injuries.
& realizing he has a douchy coach.....(sorry)
I hope he makes it through...

A coach with a great deal of experience used to always say to me. "Anyone who is willing to train long enough can do level 7 gymnastics. At level 8 you start to see that the sports requires a special kind of athlete." He is a women's coach that has seen alot of gymnasts through the years. It seems to hold fairly true from my experience.

Gymnastics peaks in popularity around age 8, from there the numbers will slowly decline.

You usually get the bigger drops at the start of middle school and again at the start of high school because of the life changes that are involved.

But simply not being able to handle it with their bodies is only one reason they stop. Other common reasons include.

1. Everything in their life demands more time. As gymnasts reach higher levels they need to train more and more hours. But also as they hit middle and high school their hour expectations increase in those areas too. Usually a longer commute to school, longer school day, more school commitments and more homework. There are not enough hours left in the day.

2. Fear. Once kids get older they think more, their brains develop the ability to consider possible consequences of their actions for things that have not even happened. Many girls get scared.

3. Body's changing. As their bodies change many girls no longer want to do a sport where they must prance around in a leotard.

4. Interests change as you get older. A lot of kids enjoy that ally different things.

5. Social pressure. To teens fitting in is the most important thing in the world. To always be missing out on things because of gymnastics can drive them out of the sport.

6. The desire to have money, they see their friends with part time jobs and they want one too. Not enough hours in the day left to train.

7. School, kids and parents see school and homework as being more important as they get older. As well as doing extra school activities.

8. Freedom changes. When they are young it usually go to gymnastics or be at home, going to gymnastics is going out and doing things and seeing friends. When they get older it's go to gymnastics or go out with friends. Gymnastics is no longer the outing.
An excellent post.....

Every coach who doubts the commitment of their kids with 15+ hour training weeks should read your post daily.

Another problem encountered is when they advance to a point where the skills get really difficult. That's a variable point for each child, so that point may come at L5 for some, and not til L10 for others. When things slow down as a child nears and hits that point it takes a very long term attitude to feel rewarded and excited. That means some may go as long as a year between new and substantial skills that they see as a barometer of their own success.

So I have a question that is an offshoot.....
How LONG does it take a child to quit?
I know it can be immediate.
I know it can be a long evolution.....
what have you seen?

So I have a question that is an offshoot.....
How LONG does it take a child to quit?
I know it can be immediate.
I know it can be a long evolution.....
what have you seen?

Well they could quit after their first class or they could be like oksana chusovitina... :) everybody is different.

I once took DD to a dr whose daughter had been a gymnast. He told us that she quit in 9th grade because:
1) she was getting hurt a lot
2) the coaches were mean
3) boys

Mean is in the eye of the beholder. My daughter thinks her coaches are "really nice" but I think she has teammates who would disagree with her on this.

What's with coaches being mean??? I treat all my kids like they're my own. Hmm..
Some coaches can be mean, just like some parents can be a pain....
We have an UNBELIEVABLE coach who EVERYBODY loves....
We have one tough harsh one, good though.
We have one butthead. overgrown kid.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back