WAG Compete Level 4 or skip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
Compete Level 4 as young 7 year old (next year) or keep training for Level 5 (skipping learning mill circle and any other nonrelated Level 4 skills) and compete Level 5 probably at just turned 8. Alot of uptraining lost learning Level 4 routine and competing Level 4. But get the Experience and fun of competing. Or training 5 and TOPs. Which is more desirable in your opinion?

Has your DD been given the option, and you alone will get to make the choice? Or are you just asking hypothetically? What does your gym normally do? DD competed 4 at 7 and 5 at 8...she transitioned to 5 just fine, even though she wasn't uptraining for it for two years. I personally would say let her compete if she wants to. My DD loves competing and would likely get bored just practicing for another year.

If you have been given this choice, let your dd decide. There's pros and cons to each and there's not one answer - depends on the child. Dd would have preferred to train and not compete at that level. Then again, she's a L7 this year, and she still feels that way most competition days....

Taking the child out of the equation and being free to only consider what's best for providing a solid base for L6 amd L7......skip L4 in a heartbeat. This assumes we're talking about a child who will get enough payback for her work at L5-L7, and won't feel cheated for not having lived half her life on the podium.

My opinion of the compulsory levels is there are too many of them, too much time practicing routines, and too much money being spent on meet fees....athlete travel....family travel....competition attire....and lousy snackbar hotdogs and nacho's.

As a competent coach, I'd rather spend my time with the dd's of the world working on fundamental, progressions, and skills tailored to each child's needs on a schedule driven by progress rather than meet schedules.

The compulsory system's value is seen in it's ability to include nearly any child who wants to compete, and that's a good thing for those dd's who want to belong, participate, and have their moment on the podium. It also provides less experienced coaches and beginning programs a road map to the promised land of optional level training. So yes, the multi-level format works in many ways, and it's evolved nicely in the past 30 years,but it is not intended as a "be all, do all" solution.

She is going to have the choice not this fall but next fall.They just started a Level 4 team to catch some older girls and prep op girls into the JO program, but they are starting to let the top level of preteam girls do Level 4. They were starting to lose gymnasts because there is so much training without any way to showcase their hard work until they are ready for 5. I think they could solve the problem with an inhouse show with routines and trophies to mark the moveup of preteam levels, but they don't seem to be inclined to do this. The gym really wants them to train for 5. I think Level 4 competition is pretty new in our state. We were told 3 levels of preteam leads to level 5 when she starting the program a year and 3 months ago. She is working on all level 4 skills and level 5 this year, but they have not been introduced at all to the mill circle as a skill. She would have to spend next summer working on that skill with the Level 4 team to be ready for the fall, while the girls that choose to continue training will continue on focusing on Level 5. So she would move from the preteam program to the level 4 team next summer, and then prepare for 5 with the level 4 team. So it is in essence a break up of the group depending on what we decide. She just turned 6 and it is far in the future, but I'm trying to wrap my head around what to do. She has no idea at this point, and it's way too soon to broach the subject with her. It's a potential change in the original plan presented to us at the beginning, so I'm not sure what to think about what is the best approach. Thanks for any help

I would give it some time and see how dd does this fall. My gymmie did a 2.5 year pre-team program and began competing at L5 as a 9yo. Her gym also did not do much in the way of letting the pre-team girls show off their skills. Overall, I think L5 is more meaningful as far as skill progression. Also its one less year of paying meet fees and buying leos/warm ups:)

If you don't have to give them a decision till next year, definitely see how this year goes. The gym DD was going to competed level 3, and she did that as a 6/7 year old. She loves competing and barely even seems nervous. I don't know if that early introduction to competition is part of what makes her such a good competitor now and/or if it fueled her motivation to stick with the sport, but I certainly don't regret letting her compete at that very basic level. I would say that it's only fairly recently (and involving a recent gym switch) that her passion for gymnastics itself has surpassed her passion for competing (if that makes any sense). Certainly, if she's happy with the "wait till level 5" plan, it will save you some money and save her from learning some skills she'll never need again. But if she's excited to put on a sparkly leotard and have her hair done up pretty do her routines in front of an adoring audience and stand on a podium and get a medal... hey, she's in this sport for the fun of it! What could be more fun than that???

But if she's excited to put on a sparkly leotard and have her hair done up pretty do her routines in front of an adoring audience and stand on a podium and get a medal... hey, she's in this sport for the fun of it! What could be more fun than that???

LOL DD would definitely disagree with that statement! But most girls do like the "whole spotlight on me" during competitions.

With the new info - I'd be inclined to not worry about it right now. It's not for another year. See where she goes this year. Watch her maturity, drive, fears, etc. You have plenty of time to make the decision.

You know, routines and levels change next fall . This years level 4 will be level 3 and level 5 will be level 4. Are coaches talking about old or new levels? In the new level 3 , there will be an opportunity to add the kip instead of the glide pullover in the current level 4 bar routine.

First, since the decision is for next fall just see how things go for now. Next fall all the routines will be changing, level 4, will be equivalent to level 5 this year, so I assume there will be no mill circle. She will also need her kips. Also I saw you have to be a 7yr old to compete in the new level 4 next year, so the ages are going up a year. I feel competing level 4 provided a very positive experience for my child. There is a lot to learn competing, especially how to function under stress, win and lose gracefully, etc... Also the judges get to know you child, and the child sees familiar faces judging. We also learned the fine things needed to get those scores up. Skills are one thing, just about everyone who competes have them, it is the small things in form, like where your feet need to be turned out, tightness etc.. that separate the winners, the 38s from the 36s. It takes time to learn those and do them without thinking in a routine. Personally I don't think anything she did in level 4 (except for the mill circle) was a waste of time.

My dd was on the path of only uptraining L5 and competing L5 as a 7 year old, however last year her gym got some new gymnasts who were ready to compete L4, so they added that level, kind of last minute. This year, the "old" L4 parents talked about what a great experience L4 was and the "old" L5 parents wished that their dd's could have had that same experience....SO GUESS WHAT....my dd is now going to compete L4 this season. I have mixed feelings, but my dd is SUPER excited and the more experienced parents all say it is a great opportunity for her. I really like what sglemon had to say in her post. Good advice. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back