Competing on injuries?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Have you ever competed on an injury? I haven't unless you count a rip lol.
oh and was it like just a regular meet or like nationals or something?

I competed my state meet on a very hurt wrist. I was warming p on floor and i did a balkwalk over and my wrist locked up on me and i fell on my face half way through the skill. It didnt hurt until after the meet, and i guess adrenalen was my ib uprofin. Lol

yeah well at the begining of the year, in november it was the first ''selection'' we call it here, and I really wanted to do the comp even though I had something wrong with my wrist (it still is). And yeah so started redoing gym on it the week of the meet. And I was limitted to one routine per class... so yeah! I sucked at the meet lol!:p

I've competed hurt a few times..

*I broke my foot in level 9 on floor which happened to be the first rotation and competed the rest of the meet. Of course I just thought I had turned it and no big deal and I think adrenaline helped there a lot.

*I tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus in my knee doing gymnastics and had either regionals or zones and qualified to nats on it hurt but had to get surgery and didn't get to go. I also didn't realize it was that bad until I got an MRI after the meet when it was still bothering me.

*The last time I had a fractured foot(it was a stress fracture from track) and was in a boot when I wasn't diving so i competed in a meet and just taped it up.

Other than that i'm sure there were little things but can't really remember!

blondegymnastxo...

How on earth did you compete with a broken hip? That's incredible or crazy whichever you prefer. Gosh how would you even walk? Sorry it's not an injury i've had so i wouldn't understand but definently sounds painful.

oh man..

competed one full season (and almost a full summer in track) on a broken foot, competed for a little while (we actually don't know) with a broken back, last season i competed the whole season with a messed up acheilles tendon and at the beginning of that season compete with a cyst in my wrist, this season i've competed with really really bad shin splints, a messed up acheillies tendon, and something wrong with my ciatic nerve in my back that makes my legs go numb.

theres probably more but i just don't even keep track anymore.

Danielle...

Isn't the sciatic nerve thing scary? Idk when my legs go numb it tends to freak me out abit.. but they normally hurt really bad too so i'm not sure.

It seems like a ton of gymnast learn to work through injuries, but most can't stay in the sport unless they do. It can be a bit dangerous though...

I completed my whole seasons of Level 8, 9, and 1st year of 10 with a fractured back. I have a really high tolerance for pain, so I never complained about it.

When I was a level 6 I competed with a broken big toe--I was told not to compete, but I looked at the doctor and just kinda laughed.

My second year of level 10 I was out with my fractured back, then as I was starting to come back my wrist was killing me--hurt more than my back--so I went to the doctor. My bone marrow was swollen and had caused a piece of my bone to chip off; then, the bone chip floated around in the joint and shredded my wrist to pieces. I was going to compete until the end of the season, but the doctor told me if I didn't have surgery immediately i would end up with a severed ligament and tendon.

Then, my senior year I looked like some bionical woman at states--I had my back brace on, wrist support on my messed up wrist, and my ankle taped because I had sprained it again.

i competed at state finals two years running with very bad knees. i couldnt walk for afew days after one of them.
i did a bar final with two broken fingures THAT WAS NOT NICE!
and just normal comps with all kinds of problems.

right before provincials (like state) i slamed my finger in a car door, had shin splints when i was younger, and i had tendonitous in my foot last year.

ive never really had many injuries.:)

When I was in level 4, I sprained my ankle the day before a meet that I was really looking forward to, so I competed (badly) anyway.

This year I competed at states with a minor head injury-some of you know about this one!

This wasn't gym, it was karate, but yes, I've competed with injuries.

I broke my foot a few days before the world competitions, and gimped my way to the ring on crutches, took off the brace, handed the crutches to my coach, and finished the competition not even thinking about the injury (adrenaline is a great painkiller, isn't it?). Afterwards, I was definitely hitting the painkillers, though, and competing on an injury like that isn't something I'd have done for a regular tournament, but this was worlds and I'd been training for it forever, and was not going to let a little thing like a fractured metatarsal stop me. I was hurting for days afterwards, though, but it was so worth it!

I have persistent tendonitis in my left wrist and shoulders :(.

Trained and competed for two weeks with a broken ankle once and it's never been the same since.

oh yea

for level 6 states, i competed on a broken thumb, fractured wrist, partially severed hamstring and a shoulder that was dislocated earlier that week. of course, i hadn't actually gone to the doctor before states cause i didn't want him to tell me i couldn't compete. I didnt compete bars and it was still PAINFUL

I competed at level 8 state with a double stress fracture in my back. At the time I thought it was a pulled hip flexor because that's where it was hurting. A couple of weeks after state I found out that it was a stress fracture in my back lol. Nice huh? haha:p

I'm now in level 5 but, when i was in level 4 in competed a whole season with a sprained ankle. That was really really hard and really hurt the things we do to compete and at one of the meets i won all-around lol!!!

:vault::bars::beam::floor:

Well I'm a L-8 now, but when i was on level 5 I competed states with a broken hip.

Me too! i was a leve 6 and i fractured the growth plate in my hip two days before a meet and two weeks before states. competed the meet, but then it hurt so badly i had to go to the doctors and he put me on crutches so i couldnt go to states =[

blondegymnastxo...

How on earth did you compete with a broken hip? That's incredible or crazy whichever you prefer. Gosh how would you even walk? Sorry it's not an injury i've had so i wouldn't understand but definently sounds painful.

yea it hurts alot! but you can still walk... just use the adrenaline and ibuprofen =] i actually placed on floor and vault that meet but after vault my lip was bleeding a little from biting it hard. afterwards like i said earlier i was put on crutches.

Danielle...

Isn't the sciatic nerve thing scary? Idk when my legs go numb it tends to freak me out abit.. but they normally hurt really bad too so i'm not sure.

It seems like a ton of gymnast learn to work through injuries, but most can't stay in the sport unless they do. It can be a bit dangerous though...

I experienced numbness this year after I stopped gymnastics and it was really weird. I'm still feeling weakness behind my knee and its beginning to occur more frequently.

But anyway, for this thread, i think i had two herniated discs for about 2 or 3 years and i competed until i found out about it :p also had countless sprained ankles. I used to take about 4-6 advils a day just to practice and during meets i had at least 8.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back