WAG competing with younger gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kaitlyngymnast

im 15 and i'm a level 4 australian gymnast. i am training for a school competition, however, the girls training with me are 10 years old and under, and as some of them attend a more professional club, some are in higher levels than me. should i feel embarrassed as i started gymnastics much later than some of these kids?

If you don't feel embarrassed yourself, you shouldn't. All that matters is that you have fun. Good luck!

Unfortunately members under 16 aren't allowed on here, but come back in a year or so!

It's hard when you're younger but soon enough you won't care. I started latin dancing at 14 when everyone in my class was 8 to 10 years old . I still dance now and it gave me a big advantage at uni. I started gymnastics this year at 32 when even the adult beginners in my class are early 20s. Honestly don't be put off by your age if it's what you enjoy doing

Definitely do not feel embarrassed. Everyone is on their own timeline. My DD has always been the oldest on her level, sometimes by many years. Somehow the littles ones, whether they’re “better” than her or a higher level than her, have always looked up to her. Almost everyone thinks it’s really cool that she started so late and persisted in competing anyway- because it really is! Be proud of yourself for where you are and maybe accept a big sister role. It’s hard putting the time and effort into gym when you’re a teenager, regardless of your level.

You certainly should not be embarrassed. But if you feel embarrassed, try not to let it show. Kids (people in general) can get a sense of how you are feeling and may treat you accordingly. Might I suggest you try to be confident and enjoy yourself. People gravitate to those who are positive and are having fun. You may also act like an older sister to the young ones and they may see you as a mentor instead of an "older" competitor. Additionally, from what I've seen, "older" gymnasts have somewhat of an advantage over younger gymnasts in the early compulsory levels. They tend to score higher because they are more aware of their bodies and their form is better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back