Competition Hairstyles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym requires curls. This picture was taken the morning of a meet and I had just taken the curlers out (she sleeps in them). I still need to "glue" down the loose strands. Sometimes it stays very curly and sometimes it falls out quickly. Normally her hair is down to her waist and very straight.

meethair.jpg

Sunobo, I used to have to wear my hair like that for competitions in high school. I had forgotten about that until I saw your photos and remembered sleeping in the rollers. Have you tried rolling it while it is damp and putting gel on it before putting it on the roller? I had/have really hard to curl hair and that seemed to work really well for getting it to stay all day.

For last years competition season, I used the classic bangs back high pony tail! Pretty boring, huh.

lucky! at my gym, it depends on what meet/where/how big the meet is.we ussually do curls( fakes :p) or we do two french braids then you tie them together and flip it under. its very uncormfortable if you have to do any sort of rolls on beam or floor though, :/ but it stays in well :)

At the beginning of this past season, I rocked the ever-classic "bang pouf" and a pony tail. By the end of the season, that wasn't working out so well... so I switched to two braids into a pony.

Pics:

Pouf:

26869_10150154106945594_671845593_11660881_6249678_n.jpg

Braids:

28637_10150174344640594_671845593_12205658_1402957_n.jpg

I'm in the black and red warmup... though Corinna (the girl in front of me) did basically the same thing, except into a curled pony.

Still trying to figure out what I'll be doing this year. :)

Back when I was competing, I did my hair like this. I dont know if you can see it, but it did go all the way around my head before going into the bun.

Attachments

• meethairtop.jpg
    meethairtop.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,385
No picture, but I did this bun-braid. It looks nice (well, I think so) and you briad the hair then put it into a bun. Simple and very nice :)

Hairstyles for Competition

Hi! I was wondering how I should have my hair for competitions this year. I have bangs that are long (I'm growing them out), hair that goes down to the middle of my back and it's thick. As long as the hair is up and out of our faces the gym doesn't care what we do. Nothing too, too difficult please as I don't want to get my mum to do anything really hard and be late for a meet, and I'm awful at hair myself!!! Thank you very much!

I'm awful at hair, too! This year I made plait rings for my DD for competition. You can do this with just one plait each side, or do two or three thinner plaits and join them together. I then tied on ribbons in her club colours.

Another option is plait buns - I've just started doing this style on my DD and it is quite easy but looks really good. You can have one bun in the middle or have two buns, one on each side. My DD doesn't like anything at the back of her head because it gets in her way when they have to do backward rolls, so one on each side is better for her.

I have found liquid spray-in gel very useful to get the hair sleek and tidy and hold it in place.

No picture, but I did this bun-braid. It looks nice (well, I think so) and you briad the hair then put it into a bun. Simple and very nice :)

I tried this on my DD recently, it was really easy and looked great!

We're required to wear a bun for competition (although that rule has been broken, and I think we get a little more freedom if it's a big special competition like states). I have to use a ton of industrial strength bobby pins xD I wish we could wear different styles though; I like being in uniform but aren't matching leos, warmups and scrunchies enough?

Why would a gym require curling your hair? :confused: I have naturally curly hair but I think straight hair is very pretty in a different way. It seems kind of neurotic to have everyone look like they all have the same hair type. :p I guess you could say the same about everyone having to have braids or buns though.

Here is a photo of my DD after one of her competitions, with the plait rings. I did three thin plaits on each side. The stuff in her hair is glitter spray (not dandruff!).

Here is a photo of the plait bun. Unfortunately it looks very messy as I didn't gel it as it was only for practice and she had been wearing it all day by this time, but you can probably see the general idea, anyway.

Attachments

• plait_braids.jpg
    plait_braids.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 4,754
  • plait_bun2.jpg
    plait_bun2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 8,316
For our gym the level 5s and 6s all do the spiderweb into a ponytail/bun/ with a cool scrunchi thing.

We have a couple we do. Here is one. I am not good w/buns, so I do a donut bun made out of a leg of panyhose and rolled up like a donut.
Make your hair into a ponytail. Comb your hair to get rid of any tangles through your hair. Make sure you back comb your hair to make sure the front of your hair is smooth. You can use gel if needed.

Thread the ponytail through the hole of the donut you made. Move it all the way to the start of the ponytail (where your head is).

Lean forward and spread your hair evenly over the sock. If your hair is wet or has lots of gel, you will want to use a comb.

Use the other elastic band, and stretch it over the sock. This can be tricky to do without messing your hair up. Now yours is almost done. The ends of your hair will be sticking out all over.

Then you can wrap hair around the bun and tuck with bobby pins or If curly I just leave the curly hang out around the bun, everyone thinks it's fake hair when we do that. or you can gather the hair that has been banded braid and wrap around bun and sercure with pins.
Donut Bun

Tuck your ends in or if they are long enough twist or braid them around the base. Decorate with a scrunchies to match leo or a bow at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have to have a bun or ribbon curls - and no bangs. So I weave Flippers bangs/front half of hair in a lattice pattern, put it in a high pony tail and curl the daylights out of it! See it in the Flipper folder in photo albums.

Alexis has her first meet this Sunday and I have FINALLY got a hairstyle figured out that will hold her hair (and I am not a hair stylist... so this was a big deal for me... lol)! Her hair is SO thick and heavy... usually it always falls right out of everything!

I used (and LOVE) Got 2 B Glued hairspray and spiking gel. It is amazing stuff!

Obviously, the hair accessory is wrong... haha! Team colors are red/black... I need to make the hair thing for her still. But this is one I had made for the girls for Halloween so we put it in to see how it looked...

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back