WAG Competition Leo open back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
Just saw the new Leo's for this year. They are pretty in the front, but they have an odd back. They clasp at the top, and then have an open back. My question is what the heck are we supposed to do about a bra? Can she wear a skin colored sports bra like you would with a dance costume? She needs a bra for support, and she is not exactly well endowed or anything. It is great for the little kids, but anyone 12 and beyond is going to have an issue. Any ideas? It is an ozone.

Reactions: sce
It would depend on how far down it is open. There are "convertible back" bras that can be worn a number of ways... including somehow down lower on the back. Maybe look up "low back" bra if the convertible back ones won't work.

Is there nude mesh covering the opening? I've seen college leos where it looks like the back is totally open and I wondered how the college girls wore a bra with those, and upon closer inspection realized that there was a nude mesh covering the open area, so the girls could wear a bra and it wouldn't show through.

Is there nude mesh covering the opening? I've seen college leos where it looks like the back is totally open and I wondered how the college girls wore a bra with those, and upon closer inspection realized that there was a nude mesh covering the open area, so the girls could wear a bra and it wouldn't show through.
Lol, and some are actually open back. UCLA, for one, had some interesting ways of dealing with it (according to Sophina DeJesus). Take a thigh wrap (ace bandage) ... stretch it across the chest from side to side ... cut it ... tape it down on the left, stretch across, and tape it down on the right. Then tape down in between the breasts. Then pray it doesn't come loose on one side and "snap" you.

Another idea (not necessarily to be taken seriously, but something I thought of as a possibility if one of our more robust gymnasts couldn't find a supportive bra that wouldn't show for our meet last week) would be to just wear a regular bra and cover any part that shows with nude athletic tape (kinda like having on K-Tape ... you could even do a k-tape "pattern" to "sell it" as for her back.

If she doesn't need a ton of support, look at nude camisole leotards. Dancers often wear them under costumes and some come with very low backs with clear convertible straps.

This is an example of an "appears backless" bra with clear straps. This one is made by GK.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 142
I think some NCAA girls with the open back leos do wear the clear back bras. The GK one could work, or check at dance stores.
Backless leos look great on some girls, but I can see how they would make others uncomfortable. I feel like if a gym is going to use them for the whole team they should provide a comprehensive info sheet to go along with the leo of suggested undergarments.

It annoys me that this is coming into gymnastics. It is bad enough that there has been the issue in cheer that the uniforms don't allow for girls to wear supportive bras. Why on earth are coaches now doing this in gymnastics?!:mad:

And to be honest, I think it is something that I'd be talking to my DD's gym about. It just isn't acceptable.

It annoys me that this is coming into gymnastics. It is bad enough that there has been the issue in cheer that the uniforms don't allow for girls to wear supportive bras. Why on earth are coaches now doing this in gymnastics?!:mad:

And to be honest, I think it is something that I'd be talking to my DD's gym about. It just isn't acceptable.
I agree with you. It's so....unnecessary.

Funny story about those clear strap bras. We were at a college meet where they were wearing them with an open back Leo. One gymnast vaulted and when she finished her strap had broken and was hanging down. She took it well and quickly left I assume to change. Could have been a pretty embarrassing situation!

I have never understood why competition leos don’t all have built-in bras the way dance leotards and skating costumes do. Even regular old workout tank tops have built-in bras, some designed for high impact. Why not gymnastics leotards?

I have never understood why competition leos don’t all have built-in bras the way dance leotards and skating costumes do. Even regular old workout tank tops have built-in bras, some designed for high impact. Why not gymnastics leotards?
It could be because different girls are different sizes (I know 6 girls who wear Adult Medium and they range from AA to DD).
Also, according to one of the "big" leotard companies, built-in bras and built-in underwear cause the leotard to fit smaller.

It could be because different girls are different sizes (I know 6 girls who wear Adult Medium and they range from AA to DD).
Also, according to one of the "big" leotard companies, built-in bras and built-in underwear cause the leotard to fit smaller.

I can see these issues. My DD is an AM leo and a AA bra. She is also a kids size 12 underwear. I think that her shoulders are the main thing that put her in an AM for leo. I know that they are why she wears AM shirts.

I can see these issues. My DD is an AM leo and a AA bra. She is also a kids size 12 underwear. I think that her shoulders are the main thing that put her in an AM for leo. I know that they are why she wears AM shirts.
MY YG just moved up to an AL leotard and is barely an A. She wears AS or AXS shirts and, depending on the brand, somewhere between a 00L and a 3L in jeans. Bar shorts are still AXS and AS. Soffe type shorts, she is a 10/12 or CL. She just has a long torso.
It is just stupid that gymnastics doesnt allow a sportsbra that MATCHES the color of the leotard to be worn ... and that companies sell open back comp leotards and don't automatically suggest a specific bra (designed to go with the leotard or with the style) - like on the same page of the catalog.
EX: Leotard #12StupidOpenBack34 ... pair with Bra #12OpenBackOK34

Do they work like regular sports bras? I'm not sure a built in bra would be supportive enough? You can get built in liners but they don't really purport to be bras.

I think with the UCLA leotards it was a combination of taping and ordering 1-2 sizes too small so the leotard was basically the bra itself. I never saw them have the clear back bras, but like others have said I've seen it with other teams.

Do they work like regular sports bras? I'm not sure a built in bra would be supportive enough? You can get built in liners but they don't really purport to be bras.

In ballet leotards it is a “shelf bra,” basically a half lining with elastic at the bottom. I find this sufficient even with an open back, but of course we are not tumbling or vaulting in ballet class. Some women in the adult classes I take prefer to wear a sports bra.

Some workout tank tops have a real sports bra built in. Sizing can be an issue with these because they are more structured and not as stretchy—I sometimes find them bunchy. But they really do work.

It would be easy enough for leotard manufacturers to offer multiple options on the leos that are already being custom-made—full front lining, shelf bra, built-in sports bra. With an open back you would get less support, but it might be better than those clear-strap bras.

Of course, there is really no need for a back that low on a gymnastics leotard to begin with.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back