Parents Competition Leos?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

The team is getting new leotards this summer for competition. I really liked our old ones too (red and white--our female head coach designed them), but they always switch every two years, so the time is now.

Wondering what colors your DD's team uses? Do you like them? And how often do you get new leos?

The team is getting new leotards this summer for competition. I really liked our old ones too (red and white--our female head coach designed them), but they always switch every two years, so the time is now.

Wondering what colors your DD's team uses? Do you like them? And how often do you get new leos?

Our gym is just like yours---keep the leos for 2 yrs. then a new design. The ones we have now are just in their 1st year----colors are red, black and white.

Our colours are purple and black
I really don't like our leos and we don't change them very often! We've had our current ones for 5 years!
Since I've been at the club (almost 20 years) we've only had 5 different leotards. The very first one was green lycra with purple and white stripes down the side with a white V neck. VERY 80's!
We still use them for our rec girls! haha.
We then had another horrendous purple, white and green lycra creation which was the one I had to wear as a gymnast.
Next came a purple velour leotard, with a green 'splat' on one shoulder and a white 'splat' on the side.
Next came my favourite of all of our leotards and it was unfortunately the one we had for the least time. It was purple velour with silver glitter, and white sleeves.
The one we have now, like is said is purple and black. It is boring and doesn't stand out at all. Such a shame!

I think it is time for a change!

Our gym colors are Black White and a Blue/turquois color.
We use them for 3 years before getting a new one.
All Leos will have those colors some where on them. the current one was new last year and I like it soooo much better than the prior one. I like the velvet body it gives more then the the other types so it will last longer and the weggies are less frequent.

Currently we have a black body with turquois (more of a blue than a green tone) 3/4 sleeve and silver/white rhinstone design down the front of the leo. The girls love the 3/4 sleeve. It also has a square neck with turquose rhinstones on it which the girls love so much better as it doesn't choke them in the front.

We also have a practice tank that is turquise with rhinstons on the front and the gym initials in Black. This is used on Sat practice not sure why we need to wear it for that as we are the only ones there. It is also used in the summer for demonstrations. Our gym participated in a few of the summer town fairs etc and does demos with the team girls and boys. This is also the one that the Pre-team and Prep-Ops must wear at all their practices.

If you go to NEGTC.com you can see photos of our girls and boys teams in their uniforms.

My dd is wearing her competition leo in the picture in my avatar. The colors are black, pink and orange. The compulsories are keeping this leo for next year and optionals are getting a new one - colors are purple, black and gold. Everyone will switch to the new leo in two years.

Meg

My DD's gym colors are lime, black and white. Level 3 and 4 have one design and level 5 and 6 have another. Our level 4 is silvery white mystique on the botton with lime green at the top, black trim and tons of green rhinestones all over the front. Really cute but the warm-ups are the best. Black mystique fabric with lime stripes down the sleeves. The gym name is in green rhinestones on the back with green rhinestone starburst around the gym name. They were from dreamlight. Our gym also changes every 2 years.

Our gym gets new leos every 2 to 3 years.

I think all girls will get them this year even though optional ones are only 2 yrs old we have a lot of new optionals and we may as well get new ones this year.

Our gym colors are also black, red white and sometimes silver. It is really common wish we could change.

We usually try and get a stick leo for compulsory girls to keep it cheap optional leos are usuallymore $$ but given the current state of the economy we will try to keep things cheap. They will have 2 different styles one for level 4-6 and One foe Level 7 and up.

Seems pretty common to change leos every 2 years. That is what DDs gym does. The team color is purple. Level 4s have a simple purple tank with gym's name in crystals across the front. Level 5s/6s have fancier purple (different shade) 3/4 sleeve leos and optionals have long sleeve, purple/black leos. Warm ups are black. Purple is my favorite color, so I like them enough. I dislike that the gym's name is on all of them in rhinestones/crystals. Not sure why, but it bothers me.

DDs old gym had really cute but expensive warm ups and I loved their competition leos. Colors were black and red.

DD's gym is also a gym that changes every two years. For the last two years DD wore a black velvet sleeveless leo with powder blue, see avatar. This year the gym will be changing to royal blue and orange. Level 3 will be a sleeveless leo that the rest of the gym has the oppurtunity to get and the girls that are going to Lake Owen will get to wear the first full day there. It will have the gym name on the front in crystals. Level 4 and up will get long sleeve in royal blue and orange. Not sure what thoses are going to look like yet. Our warm up are also on a 2 year cycle opposite of the leos, so we will carry over the ones from last year.

Barb

Last edited:
My dds team is Pink, Gold & Black. nw-ohio-gymmom-albums-kelsey-2008-2009-season-picture1118-new-leo-came-home-last-night-i-couldnt.jpg

DDs team changes leos every 2-3 yrs. This is due to the manufacturer discontinuing fabrics. This happened last year. They had to change designs after 2 seasons instead of holding out for 3 because GK discontinued the fabric. They always have Pink & Black in the leos, this year they have gold also, but all leos in the future will have the pink/black combo. They don't vary from those 2 colors, they may add another accent as with the gold though. This leo cost $170 I think. It had double stones on sleeves (black & crystal) and also stones on belly area. This is the most expensive leo they have ordered. We are always charged what the manufacturer charges....no handling fees from the gym (refreshing since our old gym used to have a 80-100% mark-up for their being inconvienced in ordering them...but that's another story).

The warm-ups are 3 season old and will probably keep them until they can't be ordered from manufacturer any longer. So that's great for reselling used ones to incoming team members or team members looking for larger sizes. Great way to get warm-ups cheaper.

Alexsgymmymom - Wow they sound great! I need to see them, I love lime green. Have you got a picture?

Last edited by a moderator:
We get new ones every 2 years. We have "All American" in our team name so Big DD's first 2 comp leos were red/white/blue in similar patterns. Our warmups were beautiful royal blue velour. The next one which Little monkey also had was black & red because HC wanted to try black, with black polyester warmups (yuck). Our newest ones are back to RWB with fancy crystals on the leo and black velour warmups w/crystals.

Just out of interest, do you have to buy all these leos or do you hire them?
Our gymnasts buy our comp leos. They cost around £40 so the longer we keep them, the better value for money it is. When the older girls grow out of theirs, we pass them on to the smaller/younger gymnasts at a reduced cost. So it is only the very tallest and smallest girls who really have to pay full price!

However, another local club rents out their leotards for each competition. They buy them all in, in various sizes and rent them out for £5 plus a £5 refundable deposit, which they only get back if the leotard is returned in the same condition that it went out in. This way the club gets their money back fairly quickly and they get new leos every 2 or 3 years. The head coach washes all the leos too so if one fades, they all fade, so at least all the gymnasts still look the same!

Just wondered which method your club uses!

Ive never heard of renting a leo. I don't think I would like that at all. It's like renting someone's undergarments.

Just out of interest, do you have to buy all these leos or do you hire them?
Our gymnasts buy our comp leos. They cost around £40 so the longer we keep them, the better value for money it is. When the older girls grow out of theirs, we pass them on to the smaller/younger gymnasts at a reduced cost. So it is only the very tallest and smallest girls who really have to pay full price!

However, another local club rents out their leotards for each competition. They buy them all in, in various sizes and rent them out for £5 plus a £5 refundable deposit, which they only get back if the leotard is returned in the same condition that it went out in. This way the club gets their money back fairly quickly and they get new leos every 2 or 3 years. The head coach washes all the leos too so if one fades, they all fade, so at least all the gymnasts still look the same!

Just wondered which method your club uses!

Buy them. I know my HS gymnast uses the school's competition leos, so we don't have to buy them.

This year the HC said new leos will be around $400! i'm wondering if we're getting new warm-ups too for that price!

Dd's team gets a new comp leo every year. Their color is teal, could be teal with black (previous yr) or white or just teal alone. This was this past season's leo:

Front:

KerryNortheastInvite.jpg

Back:

NortheastInvite1.jpg

Loved this leo. It is beautiful and looks beautiful on the girls - they also said quite comfy. Price tag, was not comfy, actually big dent :( (but for the girls to look like they did it was worth it in the end!) :D Previous yr they had an Adidas leo and the girls said it wasn't comfy - actually left marks on the arms when they took them off. Can't wait to see what they come up with for this yr....

Last edited:
That is a pretty leo! I know the wait to see what the leos are like is always long.

It is very common to rent leos in the UK, not so much in the US. There is one club here that I know of that rents out leos to the lower level girls. But in the UK and Canada the girls do not do that many comps so the cost of the leo doesn't make as much sense. My girls each did three comps this year and both had a new leo for it, wheras most girls in the us do 10 meets a season and therefore do get their money's worth out of the leo.

We have one leo for the regional girls and it comes in different colours, basically it is black lycra.sparkle velour with a metallic trim in pink blue, lime or blue depending on the level. Our provincial girls have a blue/turquoise and silver leo in mystique fabric. Warm ups are AF black velour with a silver stripe. We have had the black leos for about 5 years, they do get traded around each year as the coach takes the ones that don't fit back and gives a discount on the new one. We have a local seamstress that makes all the leos and will adjust them too. Cost is $70 CAD for the leo.

Provincial leo

bogwoppit-albums-bogwoppits-photos-picture606-bigger-bog-baby.jpg

Regional leo

bogwoppit-albums-bogwoppits-photos-picture5-t-civile-dec-2006.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back