WAG Competition Leotard design questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
A few questions re competition leotards:
1. Experience with Dreamlight leos? How well do they hold up, how is sizing compared to GK? Any recommendations or experiences with their variety of fabrics?
2. Experience with mesh sleeves and (and shoulders?) Is the mesh harder to care for and does it hold up well?
3. Any thoughts on the ombre fabric?
Any other words of wisdom for designing competition leotards?
Thanks for any input and wisdom!

Mesh sleeves are more likely to tear. Gymnasts have to be very careful putting them on and taking them off (probably more applicable to younger gymnasts.) I personally do not care for mesh, but know that others love it.

I love mesh, and actually love dreamlight leos. Probably my favorite Leos are Rebecca's Mom, who does UCLA's leos. I would love if my DDs gym used them.. aside from that, dreamlight is our second favorite for comfort. Also, we like mesh, but it's absolutely more fragile.

Mesh is fragile for smaller kids. A friends little gymnast accidentally shoved a thumb through her sleeve putting her Leo on.

1. Dream light holds up great. Size down one size from GK (at least in adult sizes... Use the size chart).
2. Mesh is way more fragile. It is pretty, but I would avoid it if possible.
3. Ombre is neat, but more and more teams seem to be going that way. I think it would depend on your choice of ombre coloring, whether or not it would be a good choice.
University of Washington has an ombre leotard that is pretty... And I have seen a nice one going gray to black.

1. Dream light holds up great. Size down one size from GK (at least in adult sizes... Use the size chart).
2. Mesh is way more fragile. It is pretty, but I would avoid it if possible.
3. Ombre is neat, but more and more teams seem to be going that way. I think it would depend on your choice of ombre coloring, whether or not it would be a good choice.
University of Washington has an ombre leotard that is pretty... And I have seen a nice one going gray to black.
IMG_1808.PNG

I love the UCLA one here- it's so beautiful yet understated. I wouldn't want it for little kids (the light colors beg for stains) but I do love it!

View attachment 6557
I love the UCLA one here- it's so beautiful yet understated. I wouldn't want it for little kids (the light colors beg for stains) but I do love it!
I hadn't remembered that one, but I agree about beauty AND not for little ones (especially since at our meets, the girls often eat pizza or walking tacos between comp and awards).

Where do you find walking tacos???!!!
I am an older gymnast, so more careful about my competition leotards. I really like mesh sleeves and my gym has used the companies stated in this thread.
You make them... Taco meat (or sloppy joes, depending on the gym) in a bag of Frito's.

Thanks for the info. DD is working on designs for a leo next year. The UCLA leo is almost exactly like one of the choices, but in pink ombre to go with team colors. She is in love with the mesh, but I had told her that may be difficult for the younger team members.

We have found that the dreamlight leos are sized differently than gk. I'd take a close look at the size charts.

If price is a consideration, it seems to me that the leos with mesh may be more expensive. At least the one that we had last year with mesh was a lot more expensive than the ones from other years that did not have mesh. My daughter did not have any problems with holes in the mesh but a couple of her teammates did.

My DD has mesh sleeves this year that are fully lined (brand is GK). Possibly because of the liner, but we have found the sleeves be sturdy with no possibility of sticking a finger through. In fact, no gymnast on her team has gotten a hole or snag (and they are all 8-9 years old, so not a super careful bunch). I wasn't sure I would like the mesh, but it turned out to be a nice detail for the solid colored leo. Gym name is written in crystals along one mesh sleeve. No idea how much it added to cost though!

My daughter's team had mesh for several years. I loved it! It was honestly the prettiest leotard they had so for that I know of. Many parents complained amongst themselves about the mesh .... "my daughter thinks it's itchy" or "i'm scared its going to rip" etc etc etc.

You know what? I loved it! It was so much prettier than what they have now. Their leo now is very mediocre. The only problem we had was deodorant scent got locked into the mesh fabric and I never really was able to get it 100% out. I think it was Tom's of Maine Lavender scent deodorant??? My daughter eventually complained of it being itchy, but I really think that it was just because her friends said it at gym. I heard nothing of it until she heard others speak about it. One mom or coach suggested baby powder on skin before putting on leo if it itched. We never did it.

I don't know how much time you have, but Rebecca's Mom as seen in the UCLA leos will custom make any design you want. You don't have to chose from something already set and they are reasonably priced and really comfy.

I have bought several Dreamlight for DD and she loves them! Their sizing is comparable to her street clothes, and they still look beautiful even after 2-3 years.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back