Competition Leotard Sizing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At our level 3 meeting, we were told that leotard sizing would be around the corner in June. The head coach said that the competion size would be snug to the point where they may be hard to put on. My dd has some GK toddler leos that fit and some GK CXS that are roomier. I am just worried that my dd will grow a lot from 5 to 6 and am worried about ordering her a toddler competition leotard. Her girth measurement (37.5 inches) fits right in the middle of a toddler size right now. She has a shorter torso/longer legs body and is around 40 inches tall. Coaches pick the size and have final say in what is ordered. Has anyone had to order a leotard after a huge growth spurt mid season?

Last edited:
Yeah that has happened to me and it cost a whole new leo. When oldest was 12 and really hitting her growth spurt she got her leo measured in September and by December nobody could get it on her! The coach had to rush a leo in.

There was a funny thread on here about how to stretch a leo! I am sure it happens quite a bit.

This always makes me wonder. I have seen many posts similar and I always wonder what the point is of having a leotard so very tight on a little girl.

I am all for a sleek look and don't think that the leos should be baggy and falling off, but can not understand why a beginner gymnast should be wearing something so very tight? So tight that it will be difficult to get on! I know for sure that would send my DD over the edge;) Especially when ordering way before the season. Six year olds grow!

As a parent, I would insist on the larger when she is inbetween sizes. She will not be getting any smaller and why should you possibly have to pay for 2 leos in one season? It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe someone could explain the rationale.

This seams to be a never ending struggle between coaches and parents. Coaches want the sleek fit and parents want growing room. In the gyms we've been in, the coaches size them and don't give parents input on the size. I have seen kids out grow their leos during the season and have to get new ones. My dd has always been a pretty slow grower, so frankly, the leos I buy her with growing room last for years. Sometimes they wear out or she gets sick of the style before she outgrows them.

At our level 3 meeting, we were told that leotard sizing would be around the corner in June. The head coach said that the competion size would be snug to the point where they may be hard to put on. My dd has some GK toddler leos that fit and some GK CXS that are roomier. I am just worried that my dd will grow a lot from 5 to 6 and am worried about ordering her a toddler competition leotard. Her girth measurement (37.5 inches) fits right in the middle of a toddler size right now. She has a shorter torso/longer legs body and is around 40 inches tall. Coaches pick the size and have final say in what is ordered. Has anyone had to order a leotard after a huge growth spurt mid season?

Our Gym says the same thing and I think many of the gyms say that but I held my ground and ordered the size I knew would fit her during the competition season and no be too tight. Its my money, my daughter and at $200 I told them if its not right in the fall I will alter it myself as I can sew very well. (a tailor can do it for you if you don't sew) They agreed and when the fall came it was a perfect fit not too tight not too loose. I knew DD has a summer growth spurt and would need the size larger for the fall.

Talk to your gym and see if they would order the size you think should fit and offer to pay to alter it (or alter it yourself if you sew) if its too large.

My DD grew a TON from 5 to 6. She went from a CXS to a CM in GK in one year.

I bought my older DD's competition leo in the "roomier" size and had it altered down to the "slim" fit. There is a big flap of material sewn into it which can be let out for next season and I am so glad I did it this way.

Always better to have too much material which you can "take in" than to have too LITTLE and have to try to stretch it, IMHO!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back