Competition Leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At our gym the whole team uses the same Leotard and they get a new one every year at about $200. The warm up is kept the same and they don't need to buy a new one as long as the can still fit into the one they have (price also ranges around $200). This year they are also adding a team fleece (about $50) and slippers to the package.

We get new ones about every 2 years. We use them for USAG as well as USAIGC so they do get plenty of use in a 2 yr period. This time, we are pushing off warmups for another year although most girls incuding my peanut could use longer pants!

Whats the benefit of wearing practice leos once a week? Do they just like to match at gym?

I'm not entirely sure except that it promotes team unity. Also, it helps distinguish "the team" from the classes, especially when new folks come to the gym or when other parents are watching. But, it's not required every practice because the owner also wants the girls to get to wear leos of their own choice, too. One day per week seemed like a good compromise.

Both gyms we've been at have had "team" leos. The girls wear them 1 practice/week----current gym is wear them on Monday. They are also used when the teams(primarily compulsory) have a meet with traditional format---gymnasts go in and warm up all 4 events then the spectators come in and they compete. They wear the tank "team" leo for the warm up and then change to the meet leo before march in. The optionals take the "team" leo to out of state meets that have event finals as a backup leo to wear if they would qualify.

It is also to encourage team unity/bonding type feeling. These leos are kept for 2 yrs.

At my gym the leos are owned by the gym and we rent them every year. We pay a small fee and there's a deposit we get back when we turn them back in. That way we just exchange them the next year if we grow a lot. I have three sets of warmups but only two different designs for leos

I'm not entirely sure except that it promotes team unity. Also, it helps distinguish "the team" from the classes, especially when new folks come to the gym or when other parents are watching. But, it's not required every practice because the owner also wants the girls to get to wear leos of their own choice, too. One day per week seemed like a good compromise.

For the same reasons, we had red sleeveless and l/s for Level 4 and blue sleeveless & l/s for preteam as practice leos but the girls didn't wear them on the same days so I really didn't get the point other than to spend another $35 (sleeveless) and $45 L/S!!! The red L/S ones were worn by L4's in competition but our L3's didn't compete.

at my gym we keep our leotards for 2-3 years. all the competitive athletes have the same leotards so we can sell them or give them to younger siblings

We are going on our 3rd yr with the current leo. The yr before that was the first yr the gym started and we used short sleeved leos. Now 10's have their own leos 7's have their own and 4,5 and 6 use the current leo. When the girls out grow them they sell them to smaller girls and then they get new ones or from another girl. Of course our competition leos dont get used more than 6-8 times a yr so they stay in good shape. We do the same with our warmups. I am glad we dont have to worry about warmup or practice leos.

I personally have always had great results working with Foxy’s Fitness Fashions (http://www.foxysfitnessfashions.com) for getting my Leotards. Being a nearly lifelong gymnast, that means I’ve had to go back to them multiple times, and I would recommend their made in the USA quality gymnastic apparel. I’ve even had them do some custom work for me from time to time and can’t think of a bad word to say about them. Feel free to check them out.

we use ours for 2 or three years. right now the level 4 s have the old ones and compulsories and optionals have the one we got this year

I have been competing for three years and we have kept the same design for our leos and warm-ups the entire time. I did have to get a new leo and warm up set this year (I finally had a growth spurt:D), but we can turn ours in a get a used pair for half price. It really helps, because although they are not extremely pricey (about $180 total), any little bit helps.

It sometimes depends on how the leotards are holding up or if we like the style. We usually get new leotards every 2 to 3 years, but sometimes if other gyms have the same leotards, etc. we get new ones. Also one year are leotards were on back order and didn't come in until after first meet, so our team just ended up buying matching leotards that were in stock :) for one meet and then wore them to practice. (they were short sleeved)

Our 4-6's, 7 and 8's, and 9 and 10's all have different leotards.

If you want to sell your old leotards, I'd try to sell them on ebay... to europe;)

People will go crazy over GK, Dreamlight, Alpha Factor and the like (in the UK it's mostly Milano and in everywhere else it seems to be either Milano or Moreau for competition leos).

GK might be the standard thing around here, but they're MADLY expensive in europe (they are about 80USD for a workout leo in Germany)

our gym usually get a new look every 3 - 4 years.
It's in cycles though

The warm up leo will be one year the warm up suit will be another year and the competition leo will be another year. At least that's what is been in the past.

this way we aren't paying for a whole new set up all at once. I believe next year we are due for something to change but I forget what it is.

My gym changes the leos & warmups every 2 years. The cost is usually $400-$500 for the new leo and warmup. They're expensive styles with lots of rhinestones, but the girls look great. Same style L5-Elite (although the elites have additional competition leotards), and the level 4s have a tank leo.

Our optional teams got new leos and warmups at the start of this season. My daughter just competed two meets last year at a cost of nearly $500 for leo and warmup. Fortunately, the gym decided to use the same leo and warmup for one more year, so we didn't have to turn around and spend big bucks all over again.

But next year will be a different story!

2-3 years, I think. They're not horribly expensive ($50-$70) but it's still a lot. We might be getting new ones this year, hopefully a more attractive style since last year's were pretty blah. :p Seriously, I looked up the style on GK and there were prettier ones for as little as $40 :eek: I think we keep the same warmup for quite a while, but I could be mistaken. Overall cost is about $150, I do think they try to keep it affordable.

We had practice leos for a while, and every Saturday people would wear them, but I don't think we'll be ordering them this year (thank god, one less thing to pay for lol).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back