Parents Competitive swimming after gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So is your daughter OK with retiring from gymnastics?

I have 13yr old training for level 7 season also and her beam combo is HS-BHS. She actually haven't done any BWO since she wrapped her L4 season - she competed back extension for L5 beam. Our coaches are very careful about back walkovers and I am so thankful for them (our coaches, not back walkovers). When my DD and her L4 teammates trained the BWOs the coaches always supervised them closely to make sure they do it correctly, and there was only limited BWOs per practice allowed.

Good luck to your daughter! I love swimming and our community also has a great swimming program, too bad my kids aren't swimmers (at least my ODD, also retired gymnast, is competitive diver for her HS team).
Oh yes, she is totally done with gymnastics. It took her a year to accept it but she's finally understood that having constant back pain and being scared to the point of having anxiety is not worth it. A week ago she thought she could compete one more season and then be done but after the swimming evaluation she's decided to retire right away. I am so relieved that we will not need to suffer anymore! It's been rough, sigh. :(

The coaches at your daughter's gym sound really awesome! Good luck to her on the upcoming season and thank you for the well wishes!

Congratulations to you on a successful start. Good luck to your younger daughter with her continued gymnastics career too. Please keep posting. Chalk Bucket thrives when positive, thoughtful parents contribute to our discussions. We need your expertise, attitude and enthusiasm here.

Hi,
My eldest daughter (13yo, lv7) was a late starter, had a stress fracture on her back about 4 years ago and still suffers often from back pain due to the numerous back and front walkovers they do during warm up and on beam :( On top of that, beam fears give her anxiety to the point she would like to retire from gymnastics after next season. I have read many successful stories of retired gymnasts becoming divers, pole vaulters, runners and dancers but I cannot find anything about swimming after gymnastics. My daughter was offered to join the swim team at age 9 but decided on gymnastics instead. She masters all strokes and turns and can dive but I do not know how hard it would be for her to catch up with swimmers her age. Any successful stories you know of? Thank you in advanced.
My daughter does competitive gymnastics & my son does competitive swim. A 13 year-old would have no trouble catching up in swim especially if she already knows the strokes. I would encourage you to give it a try. There are several girls on our team that does competitive gymnastics & competitive swim. Swim is great conditioning.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back