MAG Compulsory divisions and regional?? How do I explain this to my kid?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

momto2js

Proud Parent
So for the third year in a row my kid has competed level 5. Last year he missed the regional by .5. It is highly likely that he will miss it this year by 1 spot (they are taking the top 9 in all age divisions) again this year. The whole year they were told divisions B is not going to regionals , you have to be an A. So when his division B teammates make the regional squad with scores that are 5 points lower, what do I say to him. He will likely be the only one on the team not to be invited, I'm not sure he knows the B's are eligible yet. Do I make him wait at awards and watch as they are all named to the team? Do we just leave quietly and explain in the car? Staying 5 and going to regionals was the goal the entire year, he worked so hard. It is going to be so close but so far away, and his knuckle head teammates are going to get to go. I have absolutely no idea how to parent my way through this one.

Maybe he will surprise you and make it? My DS was on the cusp last year and ended up making it.

But... I'd prepare him. I'd tell him that the D2s WILL be able to qualify and tell him what the numbers are for the D1 kids. Let him then go and try his best and see if he can make it.

I had this same conversation yesterday with my DS, J. We're in Region 6 who uses an allotment system. For J (L5, D1) they are taking only the top 5 of 16 from our state. J has a chance but he has to have his best meet of the season. Meanwhile, his 3 L5, D2 teammates all get to automatically go. Quite honestly, I was dreading the conversation but it went much, much better than I expected.

I started the conversation with asking J what his goals for gymnastics were. His answer - to be the best gymnast he could be. I asked him which was most likely to get him there - competing D1 or D2. His answer - D1. So then I emphasized that whether he competes at regionals didn't matter and then pointed out that there may be many of his teammates who don't get to go because of an even worse allotment percentage than him. I made sure to emphasize the L6's and L7s he looks up to and do well. I then encouraged him to do the best that he could on Sunday. We ended with a hub.

I truly think that not bringing it up ahead of time is a mistake. He will figure it out - if not at states then the following week at practice. Be honest and straight forward. It will work out. Better that he gets upset with just you than to have it take him by surprise in public.

I agree. He should know. And discuss it calmly, and without emotion. It isn't fair, but it is what it is. I am surprised at how some of the regions are doing this. (our gym doesn't take 5s to regionals at all).

I think you watch and are happy for his teammates.

Before the divisions, d would frequently not get places/awards but his older teammates would with lower scores. It really isn't that different. Just unfortunate that regions are not being more equal/fair with the allotments.

For my multi-year L5 DS the important thing to focus on is/was forward progress. He fully recognizes that winning at L5 says NOTHING about what you will eventually become and that the determination and work ethic he is developing will be the things that allow him to continue to improve in this sport for many more years. We have chosen not to attend regionals as a L5 previous years bc it is basically unnecessary. They can't qualify further and for girls, they don't even go until L8. We have intentionally used the money we would have spent for regionals toward a big camp in the summer, allowing him to work more at forward progress. He's usually bored with routines by the spring anyway :). This year, he will qualify (unless his leg falls off :) and we have decided to go, but only bc it isn't a major trip...really close to home this time. Maybe framing it that way will help? I found that the fun fancy summer camp was way more enticing to my DS than regionals, and each year he came back with new skills. Now, finally, his technique is catching up to his skills and he's starting to look like a polished level 6/7 rather than a disaster of a 4/5 so in the end I think it has been the right approach. :)

That stinks. :( In our region level 5s don't go to regionals- in fact they technically don't even go to state. We have a north state and a south state competition for levels 4 and 5 and that's where the season ends. You can't qualify for regionals until level 6. That being said, it looks like the D2s in our region get to go to regionals but we only have 8 total level 7 D2 gymnasts in the state. Also looking at our allotment numbers for level 7- every gymnast will qualify for regionals in D1 and D2...That is a really tough cut off. Maybe he will have the best meet ever and blow everybody away!

Well, it appeared my worst fear was going to happen. He fell on his best event!! He was #19 and needed to be #18. EVERY OTHER member of his team made it. He handled it REALLY well until the fact that he would be at practice for 6 weeks as the only kid not going sunk in and then the tears fell. We hung around just in case and guess what there were 2 that couldn't go, so he got in as an alternate!! Our entire compulsory team is going together. It is even a nice beach location so it will be a fun trip. I am so relieved!!

Well, it appeared my worst fear was going to happen. He fell on his best event!! He was #19 and needed to be #18. EVERY OTHER member of his team made it. He handled it REALLY well until the fact that he would be at practice for 6 weeks as the only kid not going sunk in and then the tears fell. We hung around just in case and guess what there were 2 that couldn't go, so he got in as an alternate!! Our entire compulsory team is going together. It is even a nice beach location so it will be a fun trip. I am so relieved!!
That's good news! My son was trying to make regional elite team last year and he was having one of the best meets ever and then out of nowhere he fell on his best event....he actually looked pretty loose on that event, maybe a little over confident. I thought there was no way he would be in the top 12 after that score but he made it by the skin of his teeth- #12! Good luck to him at regionals and enjoy your trip!

Yay! Last night I read this thread and I was thinking- If it is that close he might get to go anyway if anyone declines. But I did not want to post that and jinx it! Hope you guys have a great time.

Oh my gosh, what an emotional roller coaster! Congratulations to him on making it in the end!

My youngest repeating L6 woke up this am saying he was glad comp season was over...or not. He had a VERY rough state meet (sick all week before it) and even then almost made it...was 23rd - needed to be 22nd. 2 other level 6s on our team didn't make the cut either and their team still placed 2nd in the state with all boys contributing scores, so he's not alone. Considering he grew 6 inches this year and lost almost every significant L6 skill this summer (including floor stuff...) but got it all back by season, just no new bonuses, I figure he should be proud for not giving up...it is such an emotional roller coaster. I spent the whole meet worried about how he'd feel - and at lunch he said "well, we'll just see how summer goes and if I can get my L7 skills".

Sports, the successes and the "failures" teach them so much...

My youngest repeating L6 woke up this am saying he was glad comp season was over...or not. He had a VERY rough state meet (sick all week before it) and even then almost made it...was 23rd - needed to be 22nd. 2 other level 6s on our team didn't make the cut either and their team still placed 2nd in the state with all boys contributing scores, so he's not alone. Considering he grew 6 inches this year and lost almost every significant L6 skill this summer (including floor stuff...) but got it all back by season, just no new bonuses, I figure he should be proud for not giving up...it is such an emotional roller coaster. I spent the whole meet worried about how he'd feel - and at lunch he said "well, we'll just see how summer goes and if I can get my L7 skills".

Sports, the successes and the "failures" teach them so much...

Can I just say how comforting it is to hear others losing skills and getting them back?!! My DS lost all of level 6 too...front tuck?!? Back tuck?!? Kip of course! It was the whole shebang!! It was awful...just starting to claw his way out! After 10+ inches in 2 years and 25 lbs different it's like watching an entirely new child!

Eek! Do you still recognize him when he walks in the door? :eek:
My ex came to the state meet and his comment was "A....is getting super tall". they do look like different kids! And for mine no real testosterone hit yet - it will be interesting to see if things get better or worse this next 6 months...but it will be what it will be!

Eek! Do you still recognize him when he walks in the door? :eek:

Ha! Only kinda! No facial hair yet (thank god for mama) but there is definitely not a sweet toothless grin anymore and he went from being the shortest on his team for 4 years to nearly the tallest!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back