Compulsory Floor Clarification

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

emacmommy

I know this is only Level 3 but I need wording in the text clarification on floor and the entire Level 3 floor routine seems to be missing from our Compulsory Code of Points book.

Can someone please quote text and how it's written for the roundoff through the three running steps backwards. I don't need the deductions, just the text.

My co-coach and I are having a bit of a disagreement after all these years about the run backwards. We have always taught it as rather prancy steps, which I still agree with, but she swears there is no where in the wording that says they must run backwards... I disagree, but to be honest, I really don't know.

My issue is that girls were purposely not doing a powerful round off, instead doing one that has little to no snap up, so they can remain in one place. You can imaging the pikey, butt sticking out, slow round offs we are getting. Developmentally I would prefer the same round of we want them to eventually use to tumble with so I started to ask them to use those and run a bit backwards but still with pretty toes (i.e. our prance we tell them). Unfortunately I can't refer to the text that either says YES... run backwards, or that it's okay to.

Now, we only have one last Level 3 meet for this season and then one more season of these routines... I really would rather not buy a whole new Code of Points just for the missing Level 3 Floor routine.

Any help would be great!

Its worth it to buy the text- doesnt the gym have one?? Its like 40 or 50. I have been working with these compulsories since day 1 (and even went to Nashville to learn them) and I cannot imagine teaching without constantly checking the text.

Yes, we have the text... someone has taken out the Level 3 Floor routine section and didn't replace. It is now MA (missing in action). Got everything else!

My understanding has always been the run backward in the Level 3 routine was put there because USAG didn't want coaches teaching a round-off to "stick" or a round-off that would result in a small up and down rebound, rather they wanted the correct round-off position taught, which would result in backward momentum..hence the run. It is simply two to four running steps backward and definitely is not required to be prancing steps.

YES! Thank you both! Gympanda you couldn't be more correct. To be quite honest the gym I coached at previously didn't do Level 3 so when I moved to this town and gym I let my co-coach take the lead on the Level 3 routines and kind of followed what she had already been teaching. I refered to our text about a years ago, so I know our Code was complete then but where the Level 3 Floor section has gone since then... got me?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back