WAG Compulsory Routines Practice 2017-2018

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BritBrat

Proud Parent
I'm curious. When does your DD's gym start working on compulsory routines for the upcoming competition season? My DD is a level 4 and I've noticed they don't start learning routines until the end of August, with their first meet in December. They work on the next level skills immediately after state meet, but during the Summer they do a lot of conditioning (which my DD loves) and upper level skills, but don't work on routines. I'm wondering if other gyms are the same way.

When dd was in compulsory they would start learning routines towards the end of July, first meet end of august

For us Compulsories are late August/early September. Optionals are a little bit earlier (likely because of scheduling the choreographer).

Dd is competing level 5 this year and they have a fall season. The mock meet is end of August and the first meet is the end of September with state meet the first weekend in December. They really just started learning the routines a week or so ago, so about 6 weeks before the mock meet.

At my ds' gym, they were working the 2nd half of the routine individually today, working hand placements, etc. I am assuming they have been working the routines for a couple of weeks or so.

They are already working routines for meet season that starts in January. They work skills, uptrain, and work on parts of routines.
This. My DD learned 4 and 5 in 3 weeks and tested out of both. These gymmies are very good at this routine stuff.

They are already working routines for meet season that starts in January. They work skills, uptrain, and work on parts of routines.
I feel like this is the correct way! This is my DD's 2nd year competing. The 1st year I felt like they're were rushed to learn it and they were behind (other gyms) because they started in August/September.

We start teaching pieces as soon as we get kids moved up (January/February). At this point, we are getting close to complete routines for a late August start to our meet season.

Most kids know the routines at this point. Just may need some work on some of the skills. Season concludes in December.

We move compulsories up in December after states, do a couple of "fun"meets in February and March, and then move girls up again between March and May. We start seriously teaching compulsory routines the first week of summer training. Obviously girls repeating levels already know their routines, as did girls who moved up in December. Summer training for us usually starts the 2nd week of June. Competition begins last week of August.

What? How do they learn it competently in time? 1 month to learn routines?
It doesn't take long to learn the routines if they have all skills and pieces. Especially if they have competed already. Compulsories build.

At my daughter's gym they started mid July, mock meet in Sept, and first actual meet in Oct. This is level 3 and 4.

This. My DD learned 4 and 5 in 3 weeks and tested out of both. These gymmies are very good at this routine stuff.
But your DD had more experience than most compulsories too.
Our "newbies" have been learning parts of the L3 routine since April. Once they get to L4/5, they have WATCHED the routines so many times that it doesn't take quite as long, so they start REALLY learning them in mid-late August… but all of our levels practice at the same time, so it would be different if the levels weren't in the gym together.

It doesn't take long to learn the routines if they have all skills and pieces. Especially if they have competed already. Compulsories build.
I know compulsories build. This is not my first go around. The point is, do you want ok routines, good routines, or great routines? Sure they can be learned in a month, but can they be learned and performed well in a month? In my experience, no. The great routines take lots of practice. (It also doesn't exclude uptraining just because they are learning and practicing routines 5 months before the 1st competition.)

I know how good gymnasts are, I know about the progressions of compulsories, I know how the routines build....... anyway, of course level 4 and 5 routines can be learned quickly for score out meets, I know several who did this. But score out meets are not the same as a competitive season meet. Score out meets are just to get out of the level. They can average an 8.5 for each event at level 4, and an 8 for each event at level 5. Not that difficult to do (and before this year, they only needed a 7.75 average for each event). But for a competition against other gymnasts during the season, they should be perfecting the routines 3 weeks before the first competition, not just learning them. (Have you ever watched a gymnast forget her routine during a comp? It is very stressful for her.)

What? How do they learn it competently in time? 1 month to learn routines?

I know compulsories build. This is not my first go around. The point is, do you want ok routines, good routines, or great routines? Sure they can be learned in a month, but can they be learned and performed well in a month? In my experience, no. The great routines take lots of practice. (It also doesn't exclude uptraining just because they are learning and practicing routines 5 months before the 1st competition.)

I know how good gymnasts are, I know about the progressions of compulsories, I know how the routines build....... anyway, of course level 4 and 5 routines can be learned quickly for score out meets, I know several who did this. But score out meets are not the same as a competitive season meet. Score out meets are just to get out of the level. They can average an 8.5 for each event at level 4, and an 8 for each event at level 5. Not that difficult to do (and before this year, they only needed a 7.75 average for each event). But for a competition against other gymnasts during the season, they should be perfecting the routines 3 weeks before the first competition, not just learning them. (Have you ever watched a gymnast forget her routine during a comp? It is very stressful for her.)

It actually worked quite well for my dd. She was state champ on floor for levels 4 and 5, scoring in the 9's.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back