WAG Concur my fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone! I am only been doing gymnastics for three weeks and realized I am often scared especially because I witnessed some people hurt themselves while doing gymnastics. I'm mostly afraid of the beam. When I'm on it I just don't think straight and can't do anything right. It's makin me so frustrated and I have no idea why to do to stop being scared! Like when my practice ends I tell myself I'll be strong tomorrow and go for it and the second I get back on the beam I freak out. What should I do? I really want to concur my fear and be able to really improve so I really need help!

Why the worry over making progress in such a short time? You weren't in a hurry over the past 17 years, so slow down and enjoy some of the little steps that make gymnastics easy. My suggestions for balance beam..........

Spend a lot of time doing nothing but standing and walking on the beam. Move around on it, figure out how to tense up your core to keep good posture. Learn to move on the beam while looking forward, not down, to help you establish your horizon for better balance.

When it comes time to work on the basic skills you can apply the posture and horizon lessons, as the same thing that makes standing easier will help you as you enter and finish skills.

Start with that, and enjoy getting better at the small things each day. Maybe in a few years you'll look back at these early months and have a "wow" moment.

Hi! First, I don't really want to improve fast but I do want to improve at some point but I don't care how long it takes. But my coach seems to care and she won't let me have that time to just stand on the beam and relax. She just wants me to do skills..

OOOhhhhhh, I LOVE fears threads because I'm amazing at getting over fears.
Just take a deep breath, clear your mind, SET and GO!!! Your only concern should be to stick the landing.

Hi! First, I don't really want to improve fast but I do want to improve at some point but I don't care how long it takes. But my coach seems to care and she won't let me have that time to just stand on the beam and relax. She just wants me to do skills..

Do what you can! Get creative and come up with ways to steal just 5 seconds on a beam as often as you can. Like if you go to get a drink of water, and there's a balance beam along the way, walk on it instead of around it. Figure out with your coach how to add in beam acclimation time. Can you get on a beam and just stand there when you're a few minutes early and warm-ups haven't started, can you.....can you....can you?

I was going to suggest some of the things iwannacoach suggested. Sneak in some time, get there a little early. Is there open gym? If so, go, and dedicate most of your time there to just being on the beam, walking, hopping, and just doing small easy things. Look for beams everywhere! Walk on curbs, or those cement blocks on parking spaces. Do you have a deck? If you do and the railing is sturdy, walk around on that! See if any local playgrounds have balance beams. If you have any open carpeted space at home, tape a beam onto the floor and work on skills there (I use painters tape, it's least likely to damage the carpet)... get yourself a 2x4, it's a little narrower than a beam, but for getting used to walking and hopping and just being comfortable balancing it works! Either sand it down or wear little slippers to prevent splinters.

~Katy

I will definitly try to find an open gym somewhere so that I can spend has much time has I want on the beam. Plus I've been feeling a lot more confortable lately with the beam even though I am still pretty scared. But I can walk more confortably on it. I think I just really need more confidence that I will not hurt myself!

Give it some time. When my dd first started gymnastics, she was afraid to even walk on the beam, legs shaking and all! Now she is doing backhandsprings on it 2 years later. It seems like it takes time for it to start feeling natural.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back