Conditioning for abs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm a level 5 and trying to get my kip. My coach said it would help to some ab exercises at home. What are some ab exercises I can do at home besides the basic crunches, V-ups, etc?

Thanks!

Get a pullup bar and do L and V hangs and leg lifts. V-ups and crunches won't really get you your kip as quickly. Working on holding the L or V sit on floor would be good if you don't have a bar.

Just wondering since I'm sure ab work could benefit me GREATLY! I do lots of v-ups, shotguns situps etc...but my coach told me I'm doing all the work with my back which is why I'm not able to do a glide swing without tapping the floor.
So I'm sure L and V hangs and leg lifts would be very helpful for me, but what do you do if you can't hold a L/V hang. What should I start with. Like hold as far up as I can?

Just wondering since I'm sure ab work could benefit me GREATLY! I do lots of v-ups, shotguns situps etc...but my coach told me I'm doing all the work with my back which is why I'm not able to do a glide swing without tapping the floor.
So I'm sure L and V hangs and leg lifts would be very helpful for me, but what do you do if you can't hold a L/V hang. What should I start with. Like hold as far up as I can?

I probably should have put this in my original post, when I do kips, my feet tap on the glide swing too. I can't do leg lifts or L-hangs to save my life and when I do try them I feel like they are working out my back instead of my abs.

first off..have you tried a straddle kip, because i did the same thing but straddling makes them easier for me. Second for working your ab muscles try laying on your back and hold you legs out straight at a 45 degree angle, do crunches from that position, it hurts but it works very well.

"but what do you do if you can't hold a L/V hang. What should I start with. Like hold as far up as I can?" Hmm, start with a L hang with tucked legs. Eventually, bent knees with the lower legs out but it's important that the lower back is flat and straight and not arched. Lying down and keeping your legs at 45 degrees out is very similar to a hollow hold. Just do not let the lower back arch off the floor. Straddle L hang is useful as well. I generally would have my girls work both the straddle and pike hang though we didn't let our girls use a straddle glide for the most part. When you do a V-up from the floor, it's best to do it from a hollow position rather than allowing the lower back to arch and having the back of the shoulders and heels allowed to touch the floor.

Ack! Again. Dang it. I gotta ask the mods and admin if there is someway to notify a user that their inbox is full besides the email that gets sent after the fact.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back