Conditioning for FHS Vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2Gymgirls

Proud Parent
I am wondering if there are any conditioning exercises that my dd could do on her own to help her with keeping straight arms and not arching so much on her FHS vault. She tends to arch and while I haven't noticed it, her coach said she sometimes bends her arms as well. She has a fast run, but once she contacts the table, it slows down from there. Vault was her best event in L4, but it's turned into her worst now in L5. She also has problems with arching on the back extension roll. She has a really flexible back and shoulders, so I don't know if that's part of it, or if she just hasn't learned how to hold her middle tight. Any tips?

It probably has more to do with how she's hitting the springboard than anything, but it's hard to tell without a video. Handstand hops should help her block through the shoulders instead of bending her arms. HTH! :)

I'm not the best with the techy stuff, but I'll see if I can at least get a quick video with my digital camera and figure out how to get it uploaded. It probably would help to see it.

It sounds a lot like my DD. She was not a great vaulter in L4, but she usually pulled 9.0's. This year she has yet to make it out of the 7's. Her arms are bent about half the time, but she definitely does not have a good "block". She also has some trouble with the back extension roll....hmmm.

Stronger HS and stronger core. Simple solution is more HS training such as Wall HS for time and hollow holds for time. Short goals should be 3m for the wall HS and 1.5m for the hollow hold.

A stronger body that is tight will repel/rebound off the table with a block action. However, if they are loose or weak, they'll just crumple. Either by bending the arms or arching off the table.

Arching is bad form and a lack of tightness or just too weak.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back