conditioning ??????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gym-monkey

how much conditioning do you do a day ?????/what conditioning do you do (in figures) ??????xx

This may be different for girls than for guys, but I do a lot of exercises found in Coach Sommer's book, Building the Gymnastic Body.

I work on strength Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Saturdays I do cardio, ie. run a 5k.

Now I'm not the strongest guy ever seeing as I had been sedentary for many years prior to 2008. But, I do static holds like tuck planche, front and back levers, straddle Ls and L-Sits. I train each static at least twice a week.

Here is a sample week for my workout(not including statics):

Monday
5x5 Wide Grip Pull-Ups
5x5 Headstand/ Handstand Push-ups
3x3 Hanging Leg Lifts

Tuesday
5x5 Curls(not with weights, they are like an inverted pull-up)
5x5 L-Sit Dips on Pbars
3x3 Reverse Leg Lift (I think Drills and Skills calls it 'Hug a Twinkie?')

Thursday
5x5 Ring Push-Up variation
5x5 Row Variation(can be with feet on floor or elevated on object. Can also be done in front lever variations)
3x10 V-ups

Friday
3x3 Hamstring Curls
5x4 One Legged Squats (Pistols)

Hope this helps you get a general idea. If you want some good reading info on this I would strongly suggest checking out Welcome to Gymnastic Bodies Website.

We warm up with basic and easy conditioning-- something like tuck scoots (sit on bottom with legs tucked, use your arms and stomach to lift yourself up and forward), inchworms to 5 push-ups (so about 40-50 push-ups altogether) across the floor, and one pass each of frog jumps, squat jumps, and lunges.

Before vault, we do 30 v-ups, 30 alternating v-ups on each leg (like a v-up but only one leg comes up), 30 tuck-ups (like a v-up but tucked), 20 side crunches on each side, and 2 sets of 10 clapping push-ups. On occasion we'll have conditioning to do on the way back to our starting place-- just handstand walks, inchworms to 2 or 3 push-ups, lunges, something like that.

Between turns on bars, we're supposed to do either 10 push-ups on parallettes, hold a hollow for 30 seconds, or hold a v-sit for 30 seconds, concentrating on squeezing your legs.

Our coach makes us do:
General:
800 Pike Jacks
800 Tuck Jacks
60 pushups
5 Plank x2 mins. each
5 rope climbs
100 banana rocks (front, back, sides)
3 Wall sits x3 mins. each
Oversplits each leg 2 mins. each

Bars:
200 leg lifts
50 chinups
70 wipers
Beam:

500 heel raises

Every practice we have 30- 45 minutes of conditioning. We start by climbing our rock wall or rope 2 or 3 times. The we do abs:
tuck ups x 50
hollow rockers x 50
supermans x 50
v- sit - 1 minute
write alphabet in hollow body
then but:
on all foors
3 sets of 10 : side to side, up and down, bent leg up and down
then legs:
30 candlestick jumps
20 rows of lunges
then calves:
50 toe rises

sometimes we just do random stuff like walking handstands and stuff

Well, We are short on time and space so on Mondays and Thursdays my gymnasts do Dance, leg kicks front, side and behind, split leaps, spins, switch leaps, sissones etc and conditioning related to dance - releve's and plies etc.

On Saturday and Sunday they do general conditioning. At the moment they are doing 35 of most exercises:

35 Shoulder Shrugs in press up position with feet raised
35 log roll V sits
35 Press ups
5 straddle presses
5 planks for 30 seconds each
15 'knees to handstand'
35 candlestick jumps

Every session, so 4 times a week they also do apparatus conditioning and specific conditioning, so at the moment my gymnasts do:

General:
11 pullovers, forward circle to hang and pull over again
11 pike leg lifts
11 chin ups in reverse grip

Specific to kips:
Hold feet by bar in pike for 35 seconds
35 Angled leg lifts
35 shoulder closers with resistance elastic
35 shoulder closing jumps off a table to front support on bar

General Mid Body Conditioning for Beam
35 Dish and Arch rocks and lifts
35 Side lifts

Specific conditioning for Vault
Dive roll stretch jump x15
Handstand Jumps x15
Heel lifts to handstand x15
Mountain climbers

They also have home conditioning for their days off, but I know they don't always do it! hehe

This may be different for girls than for guys, but I do a lot of exercises found in Coach Sommer's book, Building the Gymnastic Body.

I work on strength Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Saturdays I do cardio, ie. run a 5k.

Now I'm not the strongest guy ever seeing as I had been sedentary for many years prior to 2008. But, I do static holds like tuck planche, front and back levers, straddle Ls and L-Sits. I train each static at least twice a week.

Here is a sample week for my workout(not including statics):

Monday
5x5 Wide Grip Pull-Ups
5x5 Headstand/ Handstand Push-ups
3x3 Hanging Leg Lifts

Tuesday
5x5 Curls(not with weights, they are like an inverted pull-up)
5x5 L-Sit Dips on Pbars
3x3 Reverse Leg Lift (I think Drills and Skills calls it 'Hug a Twinkie?')

Thursday
5x5 Ring Push-Up variation
5x5 Row Variation(can be with feet on floor or elevated on object. Can also be done in front lever variations)
3x10 V-ups

Friday
3x3 Hamstring Curls
5x4 One Legged Squats (Pistols)

Wow that is alot!! we condition for 45 minuts. but my choaches dnt care about the number they care about the quality.

Coach Sommer has his athletes spend 50% of their training time on physical preparation. That means WU, conditioning and stretching/preventative. Recently, he also lambasted circuit training in regards to building strength and power. It's easy to implement, works to some degree but isn't optimal, however it's also very common in WAG perhaps because more people have experience with the globogym BB routine stuff.

Anything done in high volume isn't intense enough and is ok but better things can be done to train for maximal strength or power.

One of my boys today asked if we ever ran for 10 minutes? I said no, we aren't mile runners and we could be doing much better things for 10 minutes like bouncing on trampoline at the very easiest.

I have more and more WAG programs care about making their athletes super aerobic. At least they won't be too fat ( though many are because of probably crummy dietary intakes ).

In my experience, if you really condition to the point of what you should be doing before skillwork, your skillwork is crushed.

I do 60 pushups, 60 crunches, 60 situps, and 60 ab/leg lifts. It seems like a lot, I know, but I make it easier to manage by doing 20 each in the morning, when i come back from school, and in the evening. It really helps! My abs are flatter than ever!

Our coach makes us do:
General:
800 Pike Jacks
800 Tuck Jacks
60 pushups
5 Plank x2 mins. each
5 rope climbs
100 banana rocks (front, back, sides)
3 Wall sits x3 mins. each
Oversplits each leg 2 mins. each

Bars:
200 leg lifts
50 chinups
70 wipers
Beam:

500 heel raises

hey just a quick question what are wipers?? thanks for your answer I will be doing this strength program now!!

well i am a lower level to everyone and only started gym about 4 months ago and level 4 and we do strength as we go rather than in one big section. Normally we will do:

Handstand against wall - 1 minute or longer depending on body shape X 1 or 2 if we are bad 3
7 rope climbs no legs way down - when we are at bars
10 to 1 - 10 crunches, 20 twisties (sit ups but twist to the side)(10 each side), 10 side raises, 10 V - snaps and sometimes 10 burpies, 9 of every thing then 8 and so on until you have done every number down to 1

If our coach is in a bad mood when we do beam we will all do a skill together and if you wobble its 10 v snaps or push ups or some other strength thing. and if you fall of its 25.

Sometimes we will do over under beam - go over first under second and so on.

box jumping jump on box of continuously,

running with person holding towel around you - 10 rows of floor

3 sets of 10 push ups

we do conditioning everyday we go to gym which is, mon, tues, thurs, fri, and sat. sometimes it can be very hard or it can be easier than other days. we alternate arms and legs and stomach but we always do press.

We do conditioning in two sets of 15 minutes spaced out across the workout, specific beam conditioning (split leap exercises, toe raises, kicks, etc), specific press-handstand conditioning (drills and spotted, etc), and conditioning while on bars (sometimes specific to bars, sometimes just to get extra in).

General:
Lower-body arch ups off pommel horse (20, hold 10 seconds at end)
Upper body arch ups off pommel horse (20, hold 10 seconds at end)
Hollow levers from chin-up position on bars (10)
Low bar leg lifts (only go down to horizontal) (11)
Plié jumps and squats with weights (40 jumps, 20 squats)

Pull-ups (15)
Rope climb (1 going as high as you can with no legs, then scissor)
OR rope climb (hold pike position on rope for 20 sec, climb up 3 and down 3, hold pike for 10 sec, climb up 4 and down 4, hold pike for 6 sec, up 5 and down 5)
Jumps onto a table trainer or P-bar block (20)
Hanging sit ups on a bar w/ partner holding feet (2x10)

Hollow/arch holds (30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec rocking, 30 sec rocking)
Candlestick roll-up jumps (5 on each leg, 5 with both)
Push-up claps (10)
Straddle press-handstand (at least 6 with spot, try tons while waiting for spot)
Handstand hold w/ partner helping balance (2 x 30)

Bars:
Pike press-handstands against wall (10)
Push-ups on floor bar (2 x 10)
Leg lifts on floor lying on elbows (2 x 10)
Tuck-up, pike leg lift, straddle-up, around the world both ways (2 x on wall bar, 4 x lying down on floor)
Handstand 1/2 pirouettes on floor bar (try 10)
Dips on p-bars (15 normal, 15 with feet up on bar)

Beam:
Kicks (20 forward, backward, sideways on each leg, 10 ring on each leg)
Toe raises (45 on both legs, 20 on each leg by itself)
Sometimes we also do straddle walks on beam, push-ups on beam, press-handstands with spot on beam, etc.

Geez, no wonder I'm tired! And getting stronger!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back