Conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey I am a 13 year old Level 5 gymnast. Just wondering if you could give me some conditioning things that I could do at home to increase my strength! Any replies will be well appreciated!!

things good for stomach strength include V-snaps, shishnicks and burpees. if you dont know how to do some of them, they should show up on google :)
for arms you can do push up claps with your legs raised like on your bed or something. also handstand pushups are good, with someone lightly holding your legs or with your toes resting on a wall. for your legs you can do stair runs if you have stairs to use or box jumps using anything that you can find that is sturdy to jump on and about knee height.

hope this helps you :)

at gym we do:

10 to 1
choose a variety of strength exercises (i do crunches, twisting sit ups, V snaps and push up burpees) and do 10 of each, 9 of each, 8 and so on until you do 1 of each skill.

Handstand Hold
hold handstand against wall for a minute thirty or longer if you can. do at least twice

Dish Hold
hold dish or hollow for a minute. do at least twice

Box Jumping
Get a box that is about knee height or higher if you can and jump on and of for at least a minute. do at least twice.

calf raises
do to lots of 50. if you don't know what they are just up to your tippy toes and down. increase resistance - have someone sit or stand on your shoulders

Chin ups
2 sets of 10

some of these you can only do at practice, but if you have open gym, go to it and do some of them.

L Holds
-
you hang down in a straight body on high bar, and bring your legs up to and L (horizontal) and hold for a minute. do 2 or 3 times

Straddle Opens(thats what we call them at my gym..)-
bring your legs up to horizontal open them to a straddle, then bring back to pike posistion, then open again and bring them like to the bar (but you go farther..) come back to pike , straddle , bring your toes through. do 4 sets of 8
*done on a low bar*

"Monkey Walks"-
on high bar you do chin up then you change grip do a pull up. and you do this all the way down the bar. do 4 lengths with 2 chin ups (&pull ups)

If there are parallel bars Dips-
put your feet in front of you(on the bars) then dip down. do 30 , twice.

Rope Climb-
pretty self explanitory, but dont use your legs. once you can do it with your legs in a pike position try it in straddle.

Inch Worms-
on a beam or a floor, start in a pike and walk your hands out until you get to a push up position, do 4 lengths of 4 push ups. (increase the amount of lengths and push ups if you need too)

Jumps On a Port-A-Pit (whale mat. the really big mat where level 4 does there handstand flat backs)
just jump up and down . you can choose to do a number or timed. number : do 100 regular jumps, 75 tuck jumps, and 50 jumps on one leg (do both) OR just do 200 jumps without stopping. time: do 2 minutes without stopping.
*good for legs AND cardio.*

Handstand Walks-
walk down the floor in handstand. if you come down, start that length over. do 4 lengths.

This one is like a set of stuff in hollow positiion. (dont have a name for it..)
1 minute hollow hold
1 minute fluttering with your legs (in hollow)
1 minute scissor kicks with your legs (in hollow)
come down.
if you cant stay in a good hollow for the entire thing, change the flutters and scissor kicks to 30 seconds until your ready.

With one of your school books (choose your heaviest one)
[this can replace hand weights if you dont have any..]
*these are all different ones*
-hold out straighht in front of you. hold for 1 minute 30 seconds.
-hold out straight to the side. hold for 1 minute 30 seconds.
-bend your arms . then straighten them (behind you..) . continue for 1 minute 30 seconds.
-hold up above your head . hold for 1 minute 30 seconds.
-above your head, bend your arms so the book or weight goes behind your neck. straighten. continue for 1 minute 30 seconds.
[if your using a book, do one arm at a time exceppt on the last one.]

hold one arm handstands.
against a wall, for like 5-15 seconds hold one hand up, at first hold onto the wall if you need too. as they get better and stronger increase till you get to a minute. and try it for as long as you can away from the wall.
this will help you in level 8, when you start pirouettes, then lvl 9 for blinds..
so this is very helpful conditioning.. :)

if you have a long hallway..
do v-up, crunchie, straddle v up. then roll to an arch (super woman) then roll back to hollow. do 4 lengths.

that should be good for now.?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back