Conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All of my teammates at the gym have different worst and best bits of conditioning so I was wondering what yours are.
The exercise I hate most is holding a leg lift while lying on your side: I just hate having the lactic acid build up after literally like a second and still having tohold it for like another two minutes!
And my best part is V ups...I could do them in my sleep lol. sure, they're painful but it's more of a "I can feel my muscles working" pain rather than the gross lactic acid pain for me :)
So I was wondering whether all of you have a most dreaded and least dreaded/"almost slightly enjoy sometimes" part of conditioning :)

My worst/least favorite: leg lifts! When I really push to my limit doing these, I wind up having to go the bathroom! Something about pressure on the bladder, I'm sure. Also the bar we do these on is old and rusty and hurts my hands.

Favorite: Rope climb! I like climbing the rope now (used to hate it) even though it also hurts my hands and thighs. I like seeing visually how far I've come and how fast I can go - it's a good feeling when you make it all the way up with no legs, like "Look, everybody! I got all the way up here!"

Hardest: rope, no legs (also hurts my elbow which is weird cause nothing else hurts it). also stalder presses, even when spotted, I find very hard. chinup pullovers too. The first couple are easy but then they get very hard.

Favorite: anything that works the back/hamstrings, it just feels good, probably arch rocks, hamstring push-ups, and arch ups.

worst: rope climb..i have absolutely no upper body strength and i just hate them..lol

best: plank holds..idk there just not that hard..

Worst: Hollow hold!! It doesn't hurt, but I start shaking after about 10 seconds! It is weird.

Best: V-ups...I can push myself to go really far.

Worst: Pushups. I'm really just not good at them, especially alligator pushups. Worm pushups are okay since I get a bit of a rest in between each one. I hate v-ups too- I have really long legs and it's hard to keep them straight. I like N-ups though.

Favorite: I actually kinda enjoy leg lifts and chinups for the first few... And handstand walks are usually pretty fun :3

worst: hollow holds (or pretty much most kinds of "holds"). I don't like the lactic acid buildup either. And I think that when I'm holding something my mind has time to think about that I'm holding a painful position for what seems like forever, where when I'm doing something that involves reps, my mind is busy telling my muscles what to do!

favorite: either v-ups or push-ups. I've gotten pretty good at both of those and i like to challenge myself to try to beat my own records :)

Worst:Hollow Holds: they hurt! I don't like the growing pain in my ab muscles and how worn out they are after the first set and then we go again.

best:pushups! Everybody calls me crazy because I like them! I am always volunteering pushups even though I get the evil eye (jk lol) I also like v ups :)

My gymnasts would probably state that doing burpees (pushup and a squat thrust/jump) is one of the things they hate the most. We reserve these to be used as disciplinary actions. Besides in big numbers, they just suck.

Lactic acid does not build up in your muscles, in fact it's recycled as a fuel in the energy cycle. Leftover hydrogen ions (free radicals per say) bugger everything. Recently disproved but it hasn't gotten out there.

Lactic Acid and Muscle Soreness

One of the things I have the hardest time with is planche work or straddle-L work. I still enjoy it. The only thing I really hate is absurd repetition of exercises that are far too simple. bent arm plank holds, step-ups, ridiculous laps of lunge walks or broad jumps that get sloppy. As well handstand walking when very fatigued is very annoying.

My favorite conditioning is probably ring series but I really like swinging parallel bar dips, skin the cats, rope climbs. Parallel Bar hand walks and dip series is rough just like spotted press HS on PB to L, straddle-L, HSPU and planche. A minute of that is just rough but not as bad as a long ring series.

Favorite: Holding splits. Never seems to bother me, except for middle.

Worst: Handstand holds against wall! I always use to come down when we tried them at school team every few seconds, so embarrassing and hard!

Hardest/Least Favorite~Endurance and Hollow Holds
It's not my legs aren't strong enough,but I don't have great cardiovascular endurance and running two minutes of sprints is hard for me. But I'm working on it and have gotten better...;)
Favorite/Easiest~ Butt-ups or crunches. Butt-ups are easy and I've just always liked crunches. :rolleyes:

Worst: Dips!!!!!!! Rope climbs, and hollow holds kinda. I can do things when you are moving in a hollow hold better! ex. v-ups,flutter kicks, that kind of stuff.

Best: Chin-ups(my teammates always hate me for picking these!:D) v-up stuff. I just like conditioning that is short and to the point. Not like it takes forever and you feel the last 5. So, I would rather do harder stsuff with smaller numbers:D

Favourite: log roll, v-up, bring legs back to go in a straddle or spilt without legs touching the ground but without having them high up and repeat. I love those! Also holding spilts. I've watched a whole 2 and a half hour movie in middles!

Worst: Chinup pullovers because I can only do "one in a row" if any at all. And the leg lifts on your side because of the gross latic acid buildup. It's so gross!

Best: hmm... my best/favorite would either be handstand holds against the wall (I can do them for a really long time) or rope climbs (I'm weirdly good at them :D)

Worst: This is one no one has mentioned yet... I HATE frog jumps. ya'll may call them something else... squat jumps? I don't know. but they're TERRIBLE ugh and my coach seems to love them :/

Worst: Would have to be a three way tye between, chin ups, leg lifts and no leg rope climbs. I can't do any of them without cheating. I have natural weak arms, not so strong stomach.
Favourite: Arch ups on the pommels. they are really easy. =]

but naturally I'm a really weak person!! I'm more flexible than strong.

I just like conditioning that is short and to the point. Not like it takes forever and you feel the last 5. So, I would rather do harder stsuff with smaller numbers

Same here and it something that many conditioning programs lack. Lots of high rep and low intensity crap. There is a place for it but not every single day the same old conditioning.

However, training too much at a high intensity all the time isn't the best road either.

As for arch-ups, start adding a weight held behind your head or at your chest.

My worst/least favorite: leg lifts! When I really push to my limit doing these, I wind up having to go the bathroom! Something about pressure on the bladder, I'm sure. Also the bar we do these on is old and rusty and hurts my hands.

Favorite: Rope climb! I like climbing the rope now (used to hate it) even though it also hurts my hands and thighs. I like seeing visually how far I've come and how fast I can go - it's a good feeling when you make it all the way up with no legs, like "Look, everybody! I got all the way up here!"

same here! i like climbig rope because its a god way to "show off" without showing off and the same thing happpens to me with leg lifts! it also happens when i hang on the bar for forvever just doing nothing!!

what level are you and if you dont mind me asking how old are?

Worst/least favorite:chin-up leavers,straddle booty scoots,and frog jumps
Best/Favorite:explosion jumps (but I get tired quikly on them though)

:bouncy:

Last edited:
Favourite: log roll, v-up, bring legs back to go in a straddle or spilt without legs touching the ground but without having them high up and repeat. I love those! Also holding spilts. I've watched a whole 2 and a half hour movie in middles!

Worst: Chinup pullovers because I can only do "one in a row" if any at all. And the leg lifts on your side because of the gross latic acid buildup. It's so gross!

me to i can't do more than "one in a row"
:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back