WAG Confidence issues?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Splat

Coach
Gymnast
A few months ago I landed on my head doing a FHSFT while doing a routine. I have been checked out and I'm physically fine. Since then I have almost stopped doing the tumbling pass. With help from my coaches we have broke it down and worked on it in parts. I can usually do it with someone standing there and have recently started doing it with out. However, if I possibly think it will go wrong I just do a FHS and my body refuses to do any more that day. I also won't through it in a routine if someone is there. Any tips on how to get rid of this problem?

I also currently have a problem with beam. I can almost always stick my routine when practicing at my gym, however when ever I'm at a meet I fall 2-3 times. This has happened at every meet so far. I'm not super confident on beam, but I'm rarely nervous. Any ideas on how to get over these meet falls?

You know you can do the skill, especially the FHSFT. I am 100% positive you have the skill. At this point, after breaking it down, no-one can hep you get it but yourself. It is all up to you now. Just remind yourself that you can do it and don't overthink it. I know it's hard. But getting past this mental block is now all up to YOU. Think about connecting the front tuck while you are in the handspring, and believe in yourself, as cheesy as that sounds. Good luck :)

For the front handspring Front tuck, the first thing I would do is make sure you have another tumble pass for your routine. Can you do front tuck, front tuck or front tuck step out front handspring? Often it’s easier to get the skill back, when the pressure is off.

Each time yiu do the skill, check your thinking, make sure you are visualising yourself doing things he skill well, not worrying about not going for it or falling. Your body will respond directly to the messages sent to it by your mind.

Go back to somewhere you can do the front ha dsorimh fornt tuck easily, like say intermediate ne tumble track and do lots until you feel like you could do it in your sleep then take it to the next station perhaps an air mat or the rod floor. Then perhaps with mats on the floor etc.

You can try doing a front handspring then a few rebounds into your front tuck instead or connecting them directly, then work your way down with less rebounds until you are doing them connected.

For your beam issue, first off make sure you are not racing. It is unusual to fall off in meets and not in training if you are not nervous, but it is common to rush your routines mor ein a competition, so that may be causing the problem. If that is not it, visualise your self doing the routine perfectly in a comp situation as often as you can. Take your time and focus on each skill one at a time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back