Confused About Floor Scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Beammom

We have 3.5 weeks until our state meet and I am still confused about floor. This is my daughter's first year competing L7 (age 9) and I'm still learning the ropes. On her floor routine she has not scored above a 9.3. The coaches don't give any additional critiques because she is "doing fine." It frustrates her because she tries harder each meet and still scores 9.025, 9.15, 9.2, or 9.3. The routines look identical, so we assumed it must be the dance portion or her presentation. She has worked on her presentation and I think it has to be something else. She has 3 passes in her routine: RO BHS layout, front HS Front tuck, and RO BHS back tuck. I think she is getting deductions for the extra pass. Is that possible? We "parents" can't understand her scores. Please help!

We are going through a somewhat similar situation with our gymmie who is a L7 also. Her floor routine was scoring in the low 9s and she and the audience seemed to really like it. Enter top rated judge to do critiques after 4 meets(really bad timing). Told my gymmie after watching that she would score the routine as a 8.35!!! Said to the coaches, "change the choreography---its too busy." So, 1 week before our home meet, she had a private to rearrange the routine. All week she's struggled with getting back on time with her music and I have no idea how it will play out today. My gymmie asked the judge where she took off on the tumbling(she does 3 tumbling passes also) and was told it was "fine"---took off maybe .2 for slight pike on her layout. Basically, all the deductions were for dance that this judge didn't like.

Your dd may be running into the same thing. One meet the judges like the dance--no problem and another they're not quite as happy. I think alot comes down to personal preference of the judges. My gymmie uses a peppy ragtime piece of music and this judge definitely likes more classical music and dance. I have to say I haven't seen alot of big scores on L7 floor(as in 9.5s and up). Alot of girls lose some tenths on the leap/jump combo, the 1.5 turn and taking extra steps when landing the tumbling.

All I can say is build on that 9.3 and just keep working it. We have 4 weeks to states and gosh knows what this floor routine will look like by then!

Thanks gym law mom. At least I know that I'm not the only one with this issue. I wish the judges would be less opinionated, but they are only human (I guess):).

gym law mom is right, judges can take 3-6 tenths in the choreography of the routine and the "composition" of the routine. Since it's only level 7 and her first pass is a layout, the best thing i can think of is to focus on the amplitude of the layout and the position in the air. im not sure what a strong level 7 fx routine would be so i don't know if she gets deducted for composition of her routine. is her routine the same as everyone else's at meets? is it harder, is it easier?? um, another thing would be to focus on the form in the air in every tumbling pass.

apart from the tumbling make sure every leap hits 180 degrees with perfect form, make sure the turn is toe to knee (or toe to ankle, however your coach teaches it) and that she is not stumbling out of it. she needs to show off her dance and add expression in her face. eye contact with people always makes the routine look really good. i think if she is only 9 it could take her a while to grow into her choreography.. heck it took me till this year to realize that smiling actually looks normal in a floor routine and im now 16. practice it in front of a mirror helps her see for herself. um this might be going overboard, but i actually got dance lessons from a dance teacher (and continue to take them today) to help my dance, its REALLY helped. however dance is also something i really enjoy so its not like i was complaining when i signed up.

for further inspection on what deductions she has, video tape her meet. we have one of the sony touch screen video camera where i can play it on the TV in slowmotion. its really really really helped me be aware of my gymnastics in the area of what i needed to improve. also we have cameras in the gym so we can see what we are doing wrong both in exectution and technique.

also remember that judges base their scores on the actually execution and technique of the routine and much as the do the impression that it gives them. make sure her dance is really fluid and leaves the judges saying "wow how can you NOT give that girl a good score"

finally upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. these days judges are looking for the girl who can do her routine the cleanest, but also who can do the hardest routine in the cleanest way. i don't know if you have time seeing as states is only 3 and 1/2 weeks away. but if there is something that she can add that can also help :)

these are only suggestions basing it off of the fact i don't know your daughter, best of luck to her at states!!

I understand what you mean. Sometimes judges will be extremely lenient and not take deductions on things they should, and other times they will be extremely harsh on the girls. I suggest taking a look around and seeing what the other girls are scoring--if the scoring appears to be low for all of the girls on floor, then it could be the judges being taking every little deduction possible.

As far as doing three tumbling passes in the routine, I think it's awesome! I would only suggest watching the form and execution of the passes. If, for instance, the back tuck is causing problems because she's extremely tired at the end of her routine, then I'd suggest taking it out. However, this doesn't seem to be the case (I'm assuming).

As the others have said--focus on execution and technique. Gymnastics is becoming even more demanding than past years, and gymnasts are expected to show even more difficulty and perfection. Don't give up, and remember that just becaues they're not scoring what we'd all hope for them to score doesn't mean that they're not doing exceptionally well. Good luck with states!

yea they really arent... i think i forgot to say that in my long-winded post that those are actually really good scores for level 7 at that age... no worries :)

Good Scores

Those aren't bad scores......

I agree. I don't think she has too much to worry about at this stage of her career if she is consistently putting up 9.3s. My daughter is heading for a major collegiate program next year on a full ride and I know she had plenty of meets where she did not put up such scores in the lower optional levels. Encourage her and praise her for her accomplishments. I'm sure she puts plenty of pressure on herself already. :)

Wait--I thought she was scoring in the low 8's---any score that's 9 or above is awesome! Great point gymrunner!

MY DD would be thrilled with a 9.3.

But then again my state is hard on scores, you dont often see scores higher than 9.3 - 9.4 very often on any event.

I think it is hard on the girls once they get a high score then wonder why they cant get that score again. But we have to remember that each routine is different in some way. And Judges are judges for a reason, they can see the difference in a routine that we cannot.

Good luck.

Does your daughter have her take any dance classes? We moved last year too a new gym and they make me take jazz and ballet. My old gym did not. There has been a big difference in my routine since I started the classes.

yeah we've been having a hard time too.
I've only competed 2 meets this season, and the first one i scored a 9.3 on floor, and the second meet i only scored 8.725. ? i was totally confused. i forgot part of my routine the first meet, but nailed it the second one. Btut it's my first year and we've decided that i'm more than likely going to compete L7 again next year. But you're definitely not alone on the confusion!!!!

THIS IS SOME INFO I FOUND I HAVE ONE MORE PAGE TO SCAN, THIS CAN HELP WITH HER SKILLS TO MAKE SURE SHE HAS EVERYTHING

TIMING ON BEAM AND FLOOR:
Minimum time 30 sec. (2.00 deduction for under 30 sec)
Maximum time 1:30
Overtime = 0.1 deduction

2 different acro series – each with 3 flight elements
Salto or aerial element (can be alone or part of series)
Dance series (Minimum of 2 elements)
Minimum of “Bâ€￾ turn on 1 ft.
Leap from 1 foot min 150* Does not have to be an
isolated element. Can be part of the dance series.
1 Front Acro Element (flight or non-flight)
2 “Bâ€￾ elements 5 “Aâ€￾ elements “Câ€￾ elements are
allowed to replace required “Aâ€￾ or “Bâ€￾ elements.
.2 deduction if acro series is less than three elements

– “Aâ€￾ Elements include Any USAG Level 2 -6 skill
FLOOR – “Bâ€￾ Elements include: Front salto Tuck jump full Torjete’

Take Dance

Does your daughter have her take any dance classes? We moved last year too a new gym and they make me take jazz and ballet. My old gym did not. There has been a big difference in my routine since I started the classes.

Dance, and especially ballet, will make huge difference on floor and beam. It certainly did with our daughter on both events.

THIS IS SOME INFO I FOUND I HAVE ONE MORE PAGE TO SCAN, THIS CAN HELP WITH HER SKILLS TO MAKE SURE SHE HAS EVERYTHING

TIMING ON BEAM AND FLOOR:
Minimum time 30 sec. (2.00 deduction for under 30 sec)
Maximum time 1:30
Overtime = 0.1 deduction

2 different acro series – each with 3 flight elements
Salto or aerial element (can be alone or part of series)
Dance series (Minimum of 2 elements)
Minimum of “B” turn on 1 ft.
Leap from 1 foot min 150* Does not have to be an
isolated element. Can be part of the dance series.
1 Front Acro Element (flight or non-flight)
2 “B” elements 5 “A” elements “C” elements are
allowed to replace required “A” or “B” elements.
.2 deduction if acro series is less than three elements

– “A” Elements include Any USAG Level 2 -6 skill
FLOOR – “B” Elements include: Front salto Tuck jump full Torjete’

This is either old or incorrect info. It looks more like a high school or Prep-Op "made up" code. Level 2-6 skills are not all "A's" when it comes to Level 7, and a front tuck is an "A". Acro passes don't BOTH need to be three skills. Level 7 only requires an 'A" turn.

There are a lot of other errors as well.

You may want to go to the actual JO book and look at the updates before posting this stuff.

Note: the MAXIMUM a judge can take for artistry in a Level 7 Floor routine is .3. There are no compositional deductions, so the judge can't take a deduction or "choice of elements". The biggest deductions are coming from execution...small steps, incorrect positions etc. The best routines are simple and well executed. In other words, don't do things which can't be done perfectly.

apart from the tumbling make sure every leap hits 180 degrees with perfect form, make sure the turn is toe to knee (or toe to ankle, however your coach teaches it)

gymnasticsbabie knows her leaps! She has by far some of the most amazing leaps I've ever seen! Always keep in mind that so much is subjective too.

This is either old or incorrect info. It looks more like a high school or Prep-Op "made up" code. Level 2-6 skills are not all "A's" when it comes to Level 7, and a front tuck is an "A". Acro passes don't BOTH need to be three skills. Level 7 only requires an 'A" turn.

There are a lot of other errors as well.

You may want to go to the actual JO book and look at the updates before posting this stuff.

Note: the MAXIMUM a judge can take for artistry in a Level 7 Floor routine is .3. There are no compositional deductions, so the judge can't take a deduction or "choice of elements". The biggest deductions are coming from execution...small steps, incorrect positions etc. The best routines are simple and well executed. In other words, don't do things which can't be done perfectly.

thanks THIS IS PREP OP SORRY ALL I APOLOGIZE

Help

PLEASE I NEED HELP.. MY NAME IS ANDREA AND IM A GYMNAST I LOVE GYMNASTICS ..BUT MY FAMILY WANTS ME TO DROP OFF.. CAUSE THEY SAY THAT MY BODY IS GOING TO BECOME REALLY UGLY.. AND IM JUST ABOUT TO DOIT.. CAUSE THEYRE RIGHT.. PLEASE HELP ME I DONT WANT TO DROP OFF.. BUT THERES NO OTHER WAY I THINK..:( SHOULD I DROP OFF?!:(:confused:

Sorry That I Wrote This Here Im Kind Of New ..and I Dont Really Know Ow To Speak English That Much..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back