Parents Confused about levels in competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tulip811

Proud Parent
in region5. Ive noticed that some girls switch back and forth between competing jo and xcel. For example first two meets at level 3 a couple meets at bronze, another level,3 meet and then xcel state championships. How does this work? Does a gymnast have to declare a track? Or can she successfully compete jo and excel in the same season?

They can compete both. But can only compete in 1 state per season

That's definitely how it works in my state (also Region 5). There's a declaration date late season where you have to pick your level for state meet purposes. You don't see a lot of drifting back and forth between Xcel and JO during the season here, but you do see some people move up or even down levels in both JO and Xcel prior to the declaration date.

While there are mobility rules when moving from JO to Xcel, that's more for the end of the season if moving tracks. For example, if you have competed level 4, you can move to Gold or Platinum, but not Silver without an extenuating circumstance. In your example, it sounds like that gymnast is given the opportunity to try level 3 in the season without committing to it. That is fairly common. Even within JO, it was somewhat common for a level 7 to do one level 8 meet "to try it out" but still stay level 7 the rest of the season. OP - Perhaps the girl you mentioned is considering moving to JO next season and coaches wanted to give her a flavor for it.

Hm, I’m never heard of this. Is there a reason why gymnasts would switch back and forth if they aren’t transitioning from one program to the other?

Hm, I’m never heard of this. Is there a reason why gymnasts would switch back and forth if they aren’t transitioning from one program to the other?
Perhaps to get a JO mobility score so that they can switch over at the higher levels.

in region5. Ive noticed that some girls switch back and forth between competing jo and xcel. For example first two meets at level 3 a couple meets at bronze, another level,3 meet and then xcel state championships. How does this work? Does a gymnast have to declare a track? Or can she successfully compete jo and excel in the same season?
Yes, pretty common (Also region 5). My Oldest did a full season of 2, then a full season of Silver, then L3 and then a full season of Gold. This season, she did a L4 meet at our inner squad meet and earned her mobility score. She then did a level 5 meet and earned her mobility score to L6. She competed the remainder of calendar year 2019 as Gold (The gym entered her in as Gold for the first few meets because they weren’t sure if she would have her mobility scores for 4 or 5 by the time some of the entry deadlines came around) and then transitioned to L6 as of Jan 1. She had the option to compete at L6 OR XCEL state meet in 2020. We just put her name in for L6 state meet.
I’m surprised that they go from L3 to Bronze. At our gym, our L3 equivalent would be Silver.
My now 8 year old is Silver, Did Bronze last year, and will probably do a few L4 meets early next season to try and get that mobility score, and then do Gold for the remainder of the season, including State meet.

so do these kids perform their compulsory routines during the Xcel meets?
Not necessarily. XCEL is all optional, so it is likely that they are competing level 3 equivalent skills as Bronze. Routines are all gym-dependent. Our gym has a standard routine for Bronze, Silver, and Gold. However, Starting with Gold, they can pay for choreography and music. It is likely that they are learning 2 separate routines.
As an example, my 10yo did Gold last year. Her bars and vault routines were exactly level 4 routines. Some will argue that the decuctions are different, so they aren’t truly L4, but if you put her in a meet with a L4 kid, most wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Her beam and floor routines were different than L4, but it was to her advantage because she scored out of L4 and L5 and is now competing L6. Her beam and floor routines are basically the same. She does a BHS on beam instead of a BWO and added a clear hip to her bars routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back