Confused about trampoline and tumbling??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey im 17 years old and 5'2 I know how to do a round-off back handspringx2, back handspring, back tuck, back layout, front tuck, front handspring, round-off,back walkover, front walkover,cartwheel, splits-left,right,middle. And i would really like to start trampoline and tumbling but idk wat level i am at with this? and how old do you have to be to be in the olympics in trampoline and tumbling? and do you think i could make it at 17?

It is impossible to say what level you would be in by a description of your skills. You need to go along to a trampoline and tumbling club and have them evaluate your skills. T and T is not like gymnastics where you are one level for all apparatus. In T & T you could be different levels on each apparatus. There are 4 apparatus - individual trampoline, synchronized trampoline, double mini and tumbling. At the top levels its actually quite rare for an athlete to compete all 4 apparatus, most specialize.

Also only trampoline is featured in the olympics. Tumbling is not al olympic sport.

Age is less of a limiting factor in T and T. In Gymnastics most gymnasts reach their olympic potential between 16-20. Many of the top international trampoline athletes are over 30.

If you have the right talent for the sport, a fantastic coach, a great environment to train in and a whole lot of dedication then there is no reason why you couldn't start a sport like trampoline at 17 and not reach the international level.

However, if you are asking if you could go to the olympics very soon you have a long, long, long way to go.

There's no way of saying what level you'd be on tumbling based on those skills bc in T&T you have to do MUCH longer passes. I'm talkin' 8 skill passes. The aesthetic is also a bit different on saltos...we have a kickout requirement.

Trampoline, no clue. Double mini, no clue. I know where our goal would be for a starting season at my gym, but that doesn't mean you're there yet.

Regarding Olympics: People retire a lot later in T&T, so the age minimum isn't so much a factor. 2012 would be a completely unrealistic goal if you've never done trampoline before-we do some stuff that makes the body say "HAHAHAHAWHATDOYOUTHINKYOU'REDOING?" that takes getting used to--look up level 7-10 routines on youtube for some examples. But it's not like you're going to break yourself in 2 years.

Good luck.

Well I am 28, I started 2.5 years ago. I did have gymnastics experience when I was a kid through about level 7 but we are talking when I was 12. I had never seen a double mini or been on a Olympic trampoline. I am now a level 10 on trampoline and 9 or 10 on double mini. Tumbling was never my thing I got to level 5 and had leg issues so quit competing it. Anyways so yes you can go far. I also go 12-15 hours a week and my body and mind object a lot. I want to be a Jr. Elite someday, that is my goal. T&T is much more age forgiving than gymnastics but keep your goals resonable. My first goals were small. No matter when you start it still will take many years to be good enough for the Olympics, and then you have to be better than everyone else your level in the Country.

Forgot to add yesterday about what level you might be. In power tumbling we don't do front tucks, front handsprings or front walk overs. Any skill below a round off BHS is level 3 or below (i.e. back walk overs and cart wheels) Like CoachGoofy said most routine are 8 skills and it is called power tumbling for a reason. For most levels you have 2 passes for level 4 it is round off BHS and round off 2 BHS from a power hurdle (no running) for level 5 it is power hurdle round off 2 and running round off 4. You don't add a BT until level 6 and then it is round off 3 BHS then a back tuck above the athletes shoulder height with a kickout to a straight body at 12 o' clock.

I say this because tumbling for T&T is hard. I can do layouts, pikes, standing BT, standing FT, baranis and whips but because my BHS's are not the best I am still a level 5 if I were to compete it.

All you can do is find a good T&T gym and try a class and get an eval. Keep in mind it usually does not take quite as long to progress in T&T as in gymnastics so while you might start at level 4 tumbling you might end the season as a level 7. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back