confusion over gymnast's progression to level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

~*~*CONGRATULATIONS*~*~ what a special honour for your daughter! She must be so proud and excited!

When is it being held? Keep us up to date!

I am sorry u do not live closer to other gyms. ur daughter should be on team for compulsaries. 10 is not too old and the min score to move up is 31. So as long as she has the skills they should put her on team. I try to put everyone on team at the level they will do best at that I can. Only the top 3 scores count so I figure the more participation I get the better odds I have for the gym trophies. Also comps are for perfecting basic skills and not for scoring high. Optionals are where a gymnast should strive to.Maybe ur girl needs a private to perfect her form, but maybe her gym has already formed an opinion on her and u should consider moving her for a fresh start.

My daughter loves this gym and her coaches (I don't tell her eveything they say). Oh, the joys of being a gymnastic's parent:)

Unfortunately, I've dealt with coaches that are very good at manipulating kids for their own personal gain. I'd keep an eye on the coaches to see what their motives may be. I hate seeing the fake hugs at the end of routines at meets. It is so easy to tell the difference when the coach actually cares how the gymnast feels about what they did and not how they look as a coach.
My personal issues aside:

Our gym dropped compulsory a few years ago and went to the prep opt program. We still go to mobility meets to get through USAG level 5 and 6 so when the girls are ready for level 7 they can move on. At the same time I do know of gyms that reserve the prep opt program for those that don't have the time to spend in the gym and may never make level 7. It looks to be up to the gym owners do decide what route they want to pursue.

What it all comes down to is making sure your daughter has as much input as possible given all of the information from both sides of the argument. To do this, she will need the information from the coaches as to why she should remain at the current level yet another season.

I just wanted to give you an update on my DD. We did end up switching gyms and it was the best move ever for my daughter. A new gym opened up even closer to us than the our previous gym and we felt very comfortable going there because it was opened by the head coach of our previous gym. At this gym she is rewarded for her hard work ethic and she has really blossomed into a confident and accomplished young gymnast.

I am attempting to post a couple videos here of her. Hope it works. The 1st is Gamecock Invitational - her first meet back after being out for about 6 weeks with a foot injury. The 2nd is L4 state meet, where she placed 1st on vault and bars and 2nd AA. We are so proud of her!

My Montage 3/1/10 at One True Media - share slideshows, slide shows, Facebook slideshows, free video sharing, video montages.

Ashley's Level 4 State Competition at One True Media - share slideshows, slide shows, Facebook slideshows, free video sharing, video montages.

Fantastic effort and results (and isn't it great when the two go together). Her bars were so confident and the judges must have had their glasses on to pick faults on her floor.

I am so glad the change turned out so well. NIce that you got a brand new club and that she is clearly doing very well.

Thankyou for starting one of the most interesting cb threads.

Congratulations! What an inspirational story. She knew what she want, didn't give up even when others didn't believe in her, and worked hard to get where she wanted to be. What great lessons she's learned.

Congratulations! She did so well :) Bars and Beam are the two events that don't just come naturally, so taking home the gold on Bars is amazing! Congratulations on vault as well! A 9.3 is an exceptional score! It is very hard to medal on floor, so good job! It just shows that your DD is a very hard worker, and an amazing gymnast. Any reason for her past coaches to keep her back is ridiculous.

Claire thank you for the update & the videos!!! Congratulations to your DD on her awesome achievements!!! WTG!!! What a lovely, talented & hardworking gymnast your DD is:D!

Yeah! Good for her!! Congrats on a great season!! Hope to see more updates from you next year--will she be doing level 5??

Just wanted to let you know that they moved my daughter up to the compulsory team!! She is so happy and excited that her hard work has paid off. Yea!!!!!

I'm guessing she's moving to level 5 since you said she was moving up and all of the skills you've listed as her competing were level 4 to 5 skills. Congratulations.

I'm a little confused at how gyms try to make it look like the prep opt program is inferior to the compulsory program. They are just different. You can train as aggressively in either program. You will see teams holding kids back for score in either program. Our gym doesn't do compulsories any more just because we don't like focusing on the compulsory routines. We prefer to work skills and build routines that fit the individual.

Good luck to you and your DD.

Wow! Congrats to your DD. Her State meet video made me cry. So glad you found a good place for her and that she is happy and thriving!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back