Controversial view on gymnastics in a pandemic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LTmom

Proud Parent
DH thinks that gym families tend to be a little "crazy" (his words) and therefore justify returning to an indoor, long hours, heavy breathing group activity in the midst of a pandemic. I'm wondering if anyone has kids in other sports and can comment on whether this "craziness" extends to other sports as well?

I can say that some (many?) moms in some dance mom groups I am in have been pretty relentless in pushing to be back in studio. My daughter did one class fully masked and decided dancing from home is fine. She didn’t like the mask, but wouldn’t have went without them either.

DH thinks that gym families tend to be a little "crazy" (his words) and therefore justify returning to an indoor, long hours, heavy breathing group activity in the midst of a pandemic. I'm wondering if anyone has kids in other sports and can comment on whether this "craziness" extends to other sports as well?

Yes. Hockey is going, basketball here. I know parents who were just as excited about those as we are about gymnastics. We are just more in tuned with the gymnastics world.

Swimming, though it's a little different since it's easier to social distance while doing laps.

Personally I think it's just a different mentality regarding the virus. And people's views and situations are different. If you have two parents who are already exposing themselves through work, it's not that much of a leap to let your child go to their sport. If they are both tele-working from home, then the mentality is a little different, especially if they are already really nervous about the virus.

Also, I think parents with kids in higher level or year-round sports tend to have a more laid back attitude in general, that carries over. In a sport like gymnastics, you have to - you become less sensitive to the thought of all those germs in those pits and on those bars, on those grips etc. You become less sensitive to all the injuries you might have thought were the end of the world before gymnastics.

And don't let anyone fool you - most parents are pushing for a return to in-person schooling again. You (generally, not specifically) cannot bash sports while pushing for your child to get back in the classroom

Given that the AAP and our state government have both pretty much abandoned the idea of safety precautions in their return-to-school guidelines, right now gym seems safer than school to me. At least some gyms are trying to keep the kids safe.

On the other hand, the reason many parents are desperate to get their kids back in school is so that the parents can work. The same reasoning does not really apply to youth sports, which tend to interfere with work.

@gymgal I think I would have the complete opposite take. If my spouse and I were working outside our homes everyday and exposed I would be even less likely to want my kids out and about- they’d be more likely to make others sick accidentally. The more we are sheltered in place the safer I feel that they won’t infect anyone else when they go and do something.

@gymgal I think I would have the complete opposite take. If my spouse and I were working outside our homes everyday and exposed I would be even less likely to want my kids out and about- they’d be more likely to make others sick accidentally. The more we are sheltered in place the safer I feel that they won’t infect anyone else when they go and do something.
Yes, since my husband has been working throughout and I am not in a high risk group this is how I have been making my decisions too. Trying to limit the chances of me infecting others. This is how my daughter who is a nurse functions too. She is at risk herself every day, but her biggest concern is becoming a carrier who could infect her high risks patients.

I know our high school marching band is practicing outside. Swim and dive teams are on. Don’t know about soccer and football, they usually start in the beginning of August.
We both work from home and stay quarantined. Our state is also trending downward. We don’t start indoor practice until next week. If kids start catching the virus or I think it is getting dangerous, I would certainly pull my kid. I’d rather he was at gym with adults who have safety protocols and gallons of hand sanitizer than out with his friends meeting up and playing maskless basketball or sitting 2 inches from 10 of his friends outside the Starbucks.

don’t think this has anything to do with a particular sport, just that we are all sick of isolation and not doing the things we used to do

She is only 13 once. Other than socially distanced gatherings on friend's back patios and hanging with her sisters, its all she has. Her risk is almost zero at her age, and we don't live near any older family members. My Dad already visited for the summer when my HS Senior "graduated". Her older sisters lifeguard at a socially distanced beach and work masked at Old Navy. We wear masks in all indoor public places. DH works from home and I am off for the summer from the school i work at. Me letting her go to gymnastics does not make me a crazy parent. The person at highest risk in our house is me because I am the oldest. I am willing to take the risk for her to live some semblance of a normal life. I honestly doubt there will be meets this year, so my only motivation is fun and friends.

I think this depends how people view the virus and how easily it transmits. Also how much "at risk" one is in their encounters with other people whether it be through work or other situation. Health care provider working with dozens of patients a day, in a closed environment vs a large office where everyone is social distanced, masked, and seated at their desk or in their own office/cubicle most of the day. Are encounters quick or sustained? It all plays a part in how we shape our thoughts about risk not only to ourselves but to others as well.

I think this depends how people view the virus and how easily it transmits. Also how much "at risk" one is in their encounters with other people whether it be through work or other situation. Health care provider working with dozens of patients a day, in a closed environment vs a large office where everyone is social distanced, masked, and seated at their desk or in their own office/cubicle most of the day. Are encounters quick or sustained? It all plays a part in how we shape our thoughts about risk not only to ourselves but to others as well.

This is very true. I limit my contacts outside of the family in order to lower our risk so that he can practice. To me, that seems fair... most of the time. lol. And when I do go places, I plan the outing very carefully. Grocery pick up, prescription pick up, donating plasma, and 1-2 outdoor dining experiences is the extent of my world right now.

My county is currently experiencing a slight uptick in cases and hospitalizations. The source appears to be outbreaks at two local restaurants. Thank goodness our numbers are low enough that contact tracing was able to establish this quickly, but it's pretty discouraging. My two go back to gym this week finally, but only because I trust the owners to stick to what looks to me to be a thorough and careful plan requiring pre-checks for everyone every day before they set foot in the gym.

I don't know about the gym as a whole, but in my daughter's gymnastics level everyone came back as soon as the gym was open. My son does karate and very few people have come back to in person classes (they have zoom also). There is also the difference of competitive versus rec, there is a lot more time, energy, and money invested in a competitive sport.

I think if we dug deep we would find lots of gyms that did not really close either. I have heard quite a few rumours of various gyms sneaking higher level gymnasts in when they were supposed to be shut.
Yep. And honestly they aren’t rumors, they are truths. Ours was the first to close in our area....and ironically, the last to reopen. And that is one of the many reasons girls are going to be all over the map. And in all due fairness to the poor girls who haven’t even set foot in their second homes—I will speak up and say I don’t see how it will be fair to have a season. Not that my kid doesn’t want one. But she even said it’s not fair to others who haven’t even started gym again yet, and definitely feels those girls who trained the entire time have a very unfair advantage also.

I will speak up and say I don’t see how it will be fair to have a season. Not that my kid doesn’t want one. But she even said it’s not fair to others who haven’t even started gym again yet, and definitely feels those girls who trained the entire time have a very unfair advantage also.

I will be surprised if there is a season. Our gym hasn't decided whether to register for meets even if they are scheduled. There may not be enough demand to sustain meets.

Yep. And honestly they aren’t rumors, they are truths. Ours was the first to close in our area....and ironically, the last to reopen. And that is one of the many reasons girls are going to be all over the map. And in all due fairness to the poor girls who haven’t even set foot in their second homes—I will speak up and say I don’t see how it will be fair to have a season. Not that my kid doesn’t want one. But she even said it’s not fair to others who haven’t even started gym again yet, and definitely feels those girls who trained the entire time have a very unfair advantage also.

Nothing is ever fair. There will always be athletes that train more hours in better facilities with better coaches. I don’t know what the season will look like. This year I suspect it will be more varied than ever before. However, nothing is ever “ fair” to all and it never will be.

Nothing is ever fair. There will always be athletes that train more hours in better facilities with better coaches. I don’t know what the season will look like. This year I suspect it will be more varied than ever before. However, nothing is ever “ fair” to all and it never will be.
Understood. But it would be nice if the girls could at least all be in the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back