Controversial view on gymnastics in a pandemic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think if we dug deep we would find lots of gyms that did not really close either. I have heard quite a few rumours of various gyms sneaking higher level gymnasts in when they were supposed to be shut.

Karma.jpg

I hope there is something. Get creative. Do virtual...stuff like that. For those seniors....man. I hate for them to miss out on that. I think there are goign to be lots of things missed for them.
[/QUOTE
It’s awful! I really do wish there would be a season, and my kid does too....she just doesn’t like how some friends of hers aren’t even doing gym yet and feels for them. But the seniors have already seen what happened to the seniors before them and it SUCKS. I just pray they can figure something out, even if it is just within everyone’s own states.

When I go to my dark place, which I really try not to do, this senior class makes me sad. They are facing so many differences. Will they be in school at all? Homecoming, dances, Band (marching band fall season has been cancelled here), assemblies where they are the focus, SAT/ACT, Proms, graduations, senior banquets, gymnastics meets, nationals, college visits, recruiting.....But that is just my worst case scenario. I try not to dwell there....not a fun place to be.

Our kids have had online meets already (it’s mid inter here, so usually mid season). You take a video of the routines in the gym and send it in and the kids are judged on their routines against others of a similar level/age. They email back the scores and feedback and mail out the awards.

When I go to my dark place, which I really try not to do, this senior class makes me sad. They are facing so many differences. Will they be in school at all? Homecoming, dances, Band (marching band fall season has been cancelled here), assemblies where they are the focus, SAT/ACT, Proms, graduations, senior banquets, gymnastics meets, nationals, college visits, recruiting.....But that is just my worst case scenario. I try not to dwell there....not a fun place to be.
The coming school year for my rising HS freshman turns my stomach, gives me palpitations and gets my blood pressure up.

So for now I’m in Scarlett mode. I’ll think about it tomorrow (next month)

The coming school year for my rising HS freshman turns my stomach, gives me palpitations and gets my blood pressure up.

So for now I’m in Scarlett mode. I’ll think about it tomorrow (next month)
I sure can understand that. Transitioning to a new school level like Middle School, High School or College (Elementary school too) would be very, very hard if kids are home schooling or part home schooling, part attending on campus. Things are taught so differently in each new phase.

If your schools resume in the USA there is a good chance the kids will be able to attend academic classes but a lot of the extra stuff will be out. No sports, choirs, bands, dances, group work, musicals, field trips etc. All the things that kids really look forward to at school.

Our kids have had online meets already (it’s mid inter here, so usually mid season). You take a video of the routines in the gym and send it in and the kids are judged on their routines against others of a similar level/age. They email back the scores and feedback and mail out the awards.

I’m curious about the possibility of routines being filmed multiple times and sending in only the best versions. In a live meet, barring rare exceptions, you only get one shot and have to accept that (and there are valuable lessons that stem from those experiences, IMO.) Are there any rules that address this issue? (eg the submitted video for the whole team must be one continuous stream per event?)

I’m curious about the possibility of routines being filmed multiple times by coaches and sending in only the best versions. In a live meet, barring rare exceptions, you only get one shot and have to accept that (and there are valuable lessons that stem from those experiences, IMO.) Are there any rules that address this issue? (eg the submitted video for the whole team must be one continuous stream per event?)

I know here, there was an app our coaches used that when the routine was over and filming stopped, everyone on the app automatically got it. So if they redid the routine, they got a 2nd one. I am not sure what it was.

I can also see live virtual meets...judges at home or in one gym. Cameras for the other gym. Go back and forth..streaming. It would run just like a regular meet, just in multiple locations..

If your schools resume in the USA there is a good chance the kids will be able to attend academic classes but a lot of the extra stuff will be out. No sports, choirs, bands, dances, group work, musicals, field trips etc. All the things that kids really look forward to at school.

Yes
And there is a nearly no chance they will be in school full time in the building. Some colleges have already canceled fall sports it will just snowball down hill.

And they are focused on getting the younger kids first because of the daycare issue. Which completely s&cks because the big kids are just as entitled to school as the littles.

Putting my head back in the sand now.

Yes
And there is a nearly no chance they will be in school full time in the building. Some colleges have already canceled fall sports it will just snowball down hill.

And they are focused on getting the younger kids first because of the daycare issue. Which completely s&cks because the big kids are just as entitled to school as the littles.

There are many school districts planning a full time opening.....

It is not just about which gyms went back first either. Some girls went through shutdown with proper metal bar rigs in their back yard and climbing ropes in their garages and airmats, and coaches who did not mind watching them and giving them ‘off the record’ tips.

And other girls just had tins of baked beans to help them with conditioning in the couple of square metres of free space in their apartment, or if they had the equipment, coaches who would not coach them on their home beam/bars etc because GA’s official (and sensible) rule was nothing over zoom that did not involve at least one limb on the ground.

My state has just released a provisional competition calendar for the remainder of the year. So they have some hope for an actual face to face season. (I think they are dreaming).

My daughter had a longer shutdown than most and she does not care that this will disadvantage her at competition. She just wants a chance to show what she has achieved despite the disruption.

I would welcome small scale online competitions. Just something to give the girls something to work towards and to mark their achievement. I would not care too much about the issue of people not submitting their kids’ first attempts. I would actually just assume everybody is sending their absolute best effort.

I would not care too much about the issue of people not submitting their kids’ first attempts. I would actually just assume everybody is sending their absolute best effort.

Touché! A valid point. I guess it would be nice to have this competition season feel more about individual success.

I’m curious about the possibility of routines being filmed multiple times and sending in only the best versions. In a live meet, barring rare exceptions, you only get one shot and have to accept that (and there are valuable lessons that stem from those experiences, IMO.) Are there any rules that address this issue? (eg the submitted video for the whole team must be one continuous stream per event?)

That is true, and we absolutely did that, as did everyone else. You could take as many videos as you like and send in your best video. It was still quite fair in this way, as every participant also had the option of reding their videos if they made mistakes. None of the videos were perfect of course, because to get it all perfect even once from beginning to end is a big ask.

But have your kids ever said, they would love to see how they would do/score if they were able to the best routine they ever did in training in comp? It was very much like that, they were not judged of their performance under pressure but were able to see what they could score when doing their ultimate routine.

Yes

Interestingly our schools went the opposite way. In my State all schools reopened May 25th. But for some Grade levels they started two weeks earlier. In Primary school they brought back the Kindergarten/Prep and 1st Grade kids the two weeks earlier. Because they are harder to teach online and deal with child care. But in High Schools they brought back the 11th and 12th Graders 2 weeks earlier. They felt they were the safest with less need for parents to drop them off and pick them up at school and them to have the least negative impact on their end of 12th grade results.

One large city in Australia has gone back into lock down in the last few days, and they have closed schools for next week for kids up to 10th Grade, but all 11th and 12th graders will return to school. They may keep schools closed in the lock down, but if they don 11th and 12th graders will most likely continue to go to school. Again the reason being that those are the grade levels that count towards final scores and university entrance, and they don’t want them to be disadvantaged.

Not where we live

Most here are. They are offering the option of full time online or full time in school. Not sure how well it will go. All are prepping for the possibility that we will be online again at some point.

Most here are. They are offering the option of full time online or full time in school. Not sure how well it will go. All are prepping for the possibility that we will be online again at some point.
Here so far only options are part time in school or full time online. Not enough room to social distance in the BiG Apple.

Here so far only options are part time in school or full time online. Not enough room to social distance in the BiG Apple.

We might have the space, but definitely not the resources. As a teacher, I am a little concerned.

It won’t be easy for teachers trying to teach online and in person. Will the same teachers be required to do both, with classes having some kids in the building and some online?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back