Gym status: Is your gym ...

• Open as usual for team and recreational gymnasts

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Open for team only

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Closed

Votes: 90 86.5%

• Total voters
So now how does everyone expect these gyms to survive these closures? Seriously? Everyone’s saying “They must close!” But what about after this all blows over (which it will), and your gym can’t reopen because they lost all their Rec business? (The numbers from the CDC are already showing that life is pretty much back to normal in China.) Since my livelihood is completely with schools and gymnastics, I am very concerned about the coming depression-like financial fall-out of all these forced closures and pretty much house arrest for everyone. i know how much income I’ve had erased in just the next 4 weeks. I know many here are gym owners and coaches and that’s your livelihood as well. I’m worried about you!

So now how does everyone expect these gyms to survive these closures? Seriously? Everyone’s saying “They must close!” But what about after this all blows over (which it will), and your gym can’t reopen because they lost all their Rec business? (The numbers from the CDC are already showing that life is pretty much back to normal in China.) Since my livelihood is completely with schools and gymnastics, I am very concerned about the coming depression-like financial fall-out of all these forced closures and pretty much house arrest for everyone. i know how much income I’ve had erased in just the next 4 weeks. I know many here are gym owners and coaches and that’s your livelihood as well. I’m worried about you!
Life is close to back to normal in China...BECAUSE they shut everything down. All nations are making conscience choices between deaths and economy. It's a horrifically complicated balancing act.

You know what's really bad for business? When your clients die.

The economic fallout is gonna suck for sure, and a lot of gyms won't survive it. But there are more pressing matters right now, and any gym that would prioritize dollars over the health and safety of the athletes and their families deserves to go out of business.

Even living in a fairly affluent area I still know lots of people locally who, through whatever combination of virus and other unfortunate circumstances, suddenly have valid reason to fear the future (from an economic standpoint.) It’s going to be tough across the board. But the economy can be turned around later. Saving people’s lives is now or never.

I expect that when it’s time to rebuild, many businesses - if they are still afloat - will be able to recover their clients. Unless they showed their true colors during this time of crisis and proved they don’t deserve people’s business.

When it comes down to it, humanity has survived and recovered from far worse than this. In the grand scheme of the world’s ills that have occurred over even just the past 150 years, this is probably one of the easiest ones to have. I’m not minimizing that there’s going to be a fallout - I woke up today with a very heavy heart for the reality of all of this - but I’ll take it. In fact it’s been a bit of a relief to see most of the world stop bickering over stupid things and have a common purpose.

Life is close to back to normal in China...BECAUSE they shut everything down. All nations are making conscience choices between deaths and economy. It's a horrifically complicated balancing act.

Life isn't going to be back to normal in China for long. Transmission will pick up again and restrictions will have to be re-imposed. See the graph in this article:

I don't understand why this is being painted as a binary choice between human lives and the economy. If millions of people are dying, the health care system is overwhelmed, and social order breaks down, then the economy is going to be in even worse shape. It's really about whether policymakers believe that the virus does in fact pose a substantial threat to the population, and how willing they are to trade off certain immediate economic harm for less certain long-term benefits.

I don't understand why this is being painted as a binary choice between human lives and the economy. If millions of people are dying, the health care system is overwhelmed, and social order breaks down, then the economy is going to be in even worse shape. It's really about whether policymakers believe that the virus does in fact pose a substantial threat to the population, and how willing they are to trade off certain immediate economic harm for less certain long-term benefits.

I do actually think the death toll worldwide from the global recession that follows this is going to be higher than that of the virus.

My DD's gym here in AZ closed after today's workout. Honestly if my DD is rusty coming back in a few weeks from not doing any sorts of gymnastic skills on gym equipment so be it - We are humble to have our health and to be able to bunker down over the next few weeks.

We even joked if she does a third year of L9 - she will be a monster at it:) She missed most of the season due to fractures of the 3rd & 4th metacarpal in the hand back in January.

Stay healthy everyone!

We're in WA. The governor just shut down gyms, indefinitely I believe. I'm glad, because I don't think ours was going to close unless it was forced to. I'm sympathetic. It would have been nice for the federal government to find a way to bail out small businesses/arts sector/gig workers/non-profits, so they felt safe closing/not working for the sake of everyone's health. Maybe it will still happen, but seeing how unprepared they were for this is kind of shocking. I'm grateful for the leadership of many state governors. I hope you're all staying healthy and not going too stir crazy ;)

In Australia today the Prime MiniSter announced that it is now illegal for 100 or more people to gather indoors at any one time.

He also said that for any of these measures to be effective then any measures we take must be in place for at least 6 months.

At this point schools are still open, as they be believed closing schools will make the problem worse, leaving kids around in the community and many to be cared for by their grandparents.

For us it is not nearly the end of the year, it is still the beginning, we are only in week 7 of the entire school year, there are 33 more weeks of school (and another 6 weeks of mid school breaks ) before Summer holidays. Every competition an event this year will likely be cancelled, for the entire year.

All gyms I know of are still open, but taking a big hit from people leaving, if this will go on for at least 6 more months, many will no longer be standing at the end of this time.

Large gyms like mine will have to do some very quick thinking to ensure we don’t have more than 100 people in the building at any one time. It was announced this morning at 9AM, leaving us about 5 hours to work out what we do this afternoon/evening to not break the law.

So reality check, all those gyms in the US that closed for a few weeks, my guess is that they will need to remain closed for much, much longer. What is going to happen?

There is just simply NO WAY to keep open for recreational classes and have safe way to not put people at considerable risk at this point.

This is not unique to gymnastics- virtually all sports, gyms and recreational facilities are shutting down. Gymnastics businesses at least may have loyal support of team families who are able to provide support. There are other recreational facilities and businesses with NO support. However, there are already things being put in place for small businesses in various states- the government as a whole will be very motivated to help businesses survive this.

I'm scared for all my friends in small business or who are in other lines of work where they are badly affected. But our gym was already hemmorhaging rec kids before they closed. It's not like running a whole gym for the handful of kids willing to flout the CDC and WHO and the local health authorities is going to be profitable.

So reality check, all those gyms in the US that closed for a few weeks, my guess is that they will need to remain closed for much, much longer. What is going to happen?

I also suspect we could be in for much longer. Which is beyond terrifying for the economy. I don't know if the US can keep people from their livelihoods that long. We aren't a country who takes well to having freedoms limited or being told what to do. It would get very ugly, NOT just economically.

Agree, why is this a binary choice? I’m terribly concerned for my parents and in-laws, but I also have kids that I need to keep in a house and feed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back