Gym status: Is your gym ...

• Open as usual for team and recreational gymnasts

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Open for team only

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Closed

Votes: 90 86.5%

• Total voters
I wonder how many kids’ gymnastics careers will end because of this. Realistically, training and competition will be intermittent at best for the next 18 months or so. That is going to be very difficult to overcome, especially for kids in the age range where attrition is already common. I have a hard time picturing my eighth-grade L5 successfully navigating a return to the gym as a tenth-grade L6 with lost skills.

With Australia’s new rule implemented this morning, saying no more than 100 people in any indoor venue at the same time. All gyms I know of are staying open, but stopping any spectators. Parents are required to drop them at the door, and pick them up at the door.

We are fortunate not to have to do that because our viewing and waiting areas are entirely separate rooms.

I wonder how many kids’ gymnastics careers will end because of this. Realistically, training and competition will be intermittent at best for the next 18 months or so. That is going to be very difficult to overcome, especially for kids in the age range where attrition is already common. I have a hard time picturing my eighth-grade L5 successfully navigating a return to the gym as a tenth-grade L6 with lost skills.
I agree, it will be very difficult for the majority of kids. It’s sad. Our gym is discussing having very small groups for the optionals with staggered workouts. I think this is extremely optimistic though. I understand the gyms need to close, but it is also ok to be disappointed and sad about this.

I have wondered about this too. But if the bolded happens, there won't be any gyms worry about anymore. I don't think even the most well-established mega gyms in my city could weather disruption of service for that long. :(

I agree, it will be very difficult for the majority of kids. It’s sad. Our gym is discussing having very small groups for the optionals with staggered workouts. I think this is extremely optimistic though. I understand the gyms need to close, but it is also ok to be disappointed and sad about this.

Based on some things that have been said in video chat, I think our gym is considering this too, depending on how long this lasts. But it's not like that's profitable for them. And then there is the quarantine issue...some of our team kids are being kept home by parents attempting to follow the recommendations. And others are out to sleepovers every night or at the playground with their friends, birthday parties, etc. Sending my kid to even a small group practice with those kids undoes everything we're doing and makes it so we shouldn't have bothered.

I have wondered about this too. But if the bolded happens, there won't be any gyms worry about anymore. I don't think even the most well-established mega gyms in my city could weather disruption of service for that long. :(

Based on some things that have been said in video chat, I think our gym is considering this too, depending on how long this lasts. But it's not like that's profitable for them. And then there is the quarantine issue...some of our team kids are being kept home by parents attempting to follow the recommendations. And others are out to sleepovers every night or at the playground with their friends, birthday parties, etc. Sending my kid to even a small group practice with those kids undoes everything we're doing and makes it so we shouldn't have bothered.

I think for small groups to work, parents and kids have to agree that gym and home are the only places they are going. That they are not out at sleepovers, etc. Just brainstorming, but that might be able to work in the short term. BUt for now, we practice at home

I think for small groups to work, parents and kids have to agree that gym and home are the only places they are going. That they are not out at sleepovers, etc. Just brainstorming, but that might be able to work in the short term. BUt for now, we practice at home
I know. That’s the problem. It’s all the OTHER places the kids in the small group practices might be going. I’m doubtful our gym will be able to implement the small groups any time soon.

I'm scared for all my friends in small business or who are in other lines of work where they are badly affected. But our gym was already hemmorhaging rec kids before they closed. It's not like running a whole gym for the handful of kids willing to flout the CDC and WHO and the local health authorities is going to be profitable.

I also suspect we could be in for much longer. Which is beyond terrifying for the economy. I don't know if the US can keep people from their livelihoods that long. We aren't a country who takes well to having freedoms limited or being told what to do. It would get very ugly, NOT just economically.

Interesting that you say this ....the Governor has basically shut down everything in our state, including day cares, schools, fitness centers, dine in restaurants, "not more than 10 people", but a couple of "pastors" of various churches are "questioning whether he has the authority to prohibit worshippers from gathering" , even if they have more than 10 people, and that the "governor's actions are unconstitutional" ....seriously, this is what we are dealing with...

Coincidentally, we were just talking about this last night. The kids already borderline, especially those just staring high school probably won't come back. This is a good time for them to transition to a new sport and this is the push they needed to make the choice. Others may want to come back but just can't. We have had kids quit for the summer and never was able to come back as strong. Even through the many injuries, my kid was at the gym everyday doing hard core conditioning and work any possible skill that didn't involve the given injured part at the time. Another hurdle is once they have had so much time and freedom for an extended period of time, can they mentally and physically go back to 4 hour workouts most days a week?

I feel bad for the gyms. I predict a good number of gyms will have to close the doors, along with restaurants, bars, small retailers, hair salons. There will be foreclosures, repossessions, evictions. Large businesses will be bailed out but small businesses unfortunately will suffer.

Any idea what the top elites are doing? I can see their gyms shutting for everyone but them (if within other legal restrictions). I know safety comes first, but how awful for this to happen in an Olympic year.

Any idea what the top elites are doing? I can see their gyms shutting for everyone but them (if within other legal restrictions). I know safety comes first, but how awful for this to happen in an Olympic year.

I suspect there will be no Olympics this summer

I know the men are looking to figure out where to work out. I think Bart Conner Gymnastics is closed, but is allowing them to work there. OPTC Is closed, so they cannot work out there.

You may be right, but I am hopeful it just gets postponed. I think the world could use a distraction from all this mess and sports always seems to bring people together. People need to take the guidelines seriously and flatten the curve.

Yes, postponement would be preferable to complete cancellation.

.... I wanna see Simone compete that vault

The IOC said a while ago that if the Olympics doesn’t go ahead in Tokyo at the planned time, it won’t be Postponed, it will be cancelled. It’s just to big and just requires to much organisation, sacrifice and money to postpone it.

Doesn't Simone's family own WCC? Can't she continue to train with just a few others? Also, Jade's father is a coach at her gym, so guessing she and Riley just train alone? It is crazy, even GAGE shut down, but it sounds like they are making exceptions for their elites. I don't think anybody in NorCal is training. I imagine it's the gyms that own their buildings that are in the best situation, because if don't have that overhead, you can probably make it through. Everybody's worried though.

So our gym is closed, but the coaches are doing privates like crazy! I am not sure why, but it bothers me to no end that I have paid my tuition
( a very hefty one at that ) and the coaches are in there doing privates and are saying since everything has been cancelled its time for upgrades! ugh.. i hate all of this.

@Flicfliclay are gyms and fitness centers closed by a mandatory order? They are here in CA and I'm sure they will be soon by you. I would be so mad if privates were going on at my daughter's gym. Is the gym just open after the private then? I can't see how working on something in a private would work that well if you couldn't practice it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back