Parents Correct form

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mummykins

Proud Parent
Hi all,

My DD (coming up to 8) has decided she loves gymnastics more than dancing and would like to now to be on the team.
Neither myself or her dad know anything about gymnastics so dont know how we go about finding out if she is good enough for the team.
She does recreational gymnastics at a place that doesnt have a team so now need to know what to do.
Do we ring local gyms asking for a recreational place or do we let them know DD's been doing gymnastics for a while and would like to compete (we don't even know if she is any good)
She appears to be doing well in her current place and moving up the groups but if she wants to compete I just worry about a couple of things:
Last week she had been practicising a skill at home that she had done in class a few weeks back and mastered it although sloppy. She showed the head coach and they said sort off but offered no improvement.
Also speaking to a friend who's DD goes to a different place we were talking skills etc and despite moving up groups my DD's never done at handstand flatback. She uses the vault but we haven't come across this. Also my DD can cartwheel and handstand on low beam but has never been taught walks and various jumps on the beam.
Her DD 's been going to gym for a similiar time to my DD and is in a beginner recreational class and cant do a good handstand or one handed cartwheel and her bridge is poor but my DD's bridge is solid, can kickout, do walkovers, almost handsprings but doesnt have the basics. So is this going to harm her and do we need to get her into a beginner class in a proper gym like friends DD or would some her skills allow her to get a trial for team?
Many Thanks

I'm guessing you're not in the US, so someone else might have better advice, but I would start by calling gyms and telling them your daughter has some experience in gymnastics and is interested in being evaluated to be on a team. Different gyms have different things they are looking for in a gymnast, so just because one says no, doesn't mean that she couldn't find another gym that would like to have her on team. Good luck!

The only way to find out is to phone and ask for an evaluation, if one gym turns her down it doesn’t mean all will as in the UK you have some gyms who are very competitive and only aim for the top level, others have multiple different squads and others just have low hour county squads.
At my dd gym they aren’t so interested in current skills but more about strength and their future potential.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back