Parents COTC L8 Meet Report.... it was a wild & crazy meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
We survived another meet, not without some crazy excitment!

Today there were 3 girls to make up our little team. There were supposed to be 4, but one girl scratched due to a death in the family. Dd was definitely the anchor of the team, the other 2 girls it was their first level 8 meet and they were both coming off of injuries, were originally scratched from this meet and then added back into the meet about 1 week ago. Might I add thankfully considering it would of been dd all alone otherwise!

Her age group was 12-13 yr olds and there were 23 in her age group. For events,the awards went out 13 places and AA went out 15.

First up vault - doing the pike Yurchenko. Practice vaults looked good. Her first vault landed but I believe she took 2 steps back. I could now breathe! I like when she gets the first one in, cause now she can try to make whatever corrections on the second vault and if it doesn't work, she still has the first one to fall back on. Second vault, she did land short - but that was ok because like I said, she got her 1st one in. Score - 8.85 5th place.

Now onto bars. I always get nervous with bars, but once again she pulled out a nice routine. It was better than her last meet, her clear hip to HS was to a better HS and I do believe that she stuck her landing. I am going off of memory so I could be wrong, but I thought she did. Score - 9.225 2nd place.

I'm almost normal now, just need to get through beam, cause what could go wrong with floor (can't fall off it, only fall on it!) She starts her routine, sets up for her series and bummer she falls on her first BHS step out. Now in practice she has been working BHS-BHS both stepout and HC now has her doing BHS step out - BHS 2 foot. She told me after the meet that she was planning to do the 2 step out BHS but she couldn't do 3 in a routine, so when she got back up on beam she had to do the BHS step out - BHS 2ft which of course she nailed. She nailed the full turn is this routine (YAHOO), her switch leap/spilt jump/2 fted BHS looked great, her FHS looked great. Once again I do believe she stuck the dismount, but I didn't have a great angle as you will see when I eventually post the video. It's a darn shame that she fell because the routine was really nice after that fall, but it is good to see that the fall didn't frazzle her either! Score 8.275 and she actually placed, which we were shocked about - 12th.

Floor was last and that is always fun because the hard stuff is done and over with, she can just go out and have a good time! She was 2nd on her team to go. She goes out and starts. Routine looks good, she does her 1st pass (beautifully, might I add) and boom her music is gone - total silence. She could of stopped, but no she kept going, again in total silence! I know the music is playing in her head and it's in sync with the music in my head - it was amazing! 2nd pass once again beautiful, I was so proud of her. She had the biggest smile on her face as she competed her routine, she was practically laughing while she was performing. Now I know this doesn't happen very oftern and when it does those rare time the crowd would usually start to clap - but dd's music is not clapping music, so silence continued! Her final pass was also beautiful..... I absolutely loved this routine! Once the music died you can hear me constantly saying keep going, keep going through out the whole video! Coach told me that she could of stopped and started over, which she obviously didn't. Coach also said that she could of protested before the judges posted score, but coach said she nailed this routine and she did her best! Score 9.45 1st place. Not only 1st place for her session, but for all of sessions and all of the age groups of level 8 for this meet - this without music! So the mystery was why did her music stop! Of course the 1 coach (we had 2 with us) said it was because her music was dirty (he has nothing better to say sometimes, ugh...), but that was not the problem at all. The reason her music stopped was because there were boys running around playing behind the music person and unplugged the CD player - do you believe it???? I guess those boys were kicked out of the area after this major mishap! Thankfully, it didn't matter!

AA - 35.8 2nd place. 1st place was 35.95, which she would of beat had she not had the fall on beam - but then again that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes! She had a great day and she got a snow globe to show for it too (1st - 3rd AA trophies were snow globes and very cute might I add!)

Like I said before, there were 3 girls for our team and out of 30 teams at the meet, our girls came finished 12th, which I thought was pretty good considering that every routine counted! BUT the major achievement was that with just our 3 girls, our team placed first on floor! I thought that was pretty amazing and says a lot for our choreography, tumbling and showmanship!

Next meet is 3 weeks away, maybe she will actually hit beam at this one. I am so loving this season though, she came off of a fall on beam on her way to get a drink and she still had a smile on her face and still very relaxed! She looked at me and shrugged her shoulders, like oh well! After the floor fiasco, she was tickled pink with herself! Life is good.... :D

I have seen the music stop on a girl before but she was alot younger and did not know what to do. It was really cute to see her standing out there flabergasted. Her coach came out and talked to her and then she just stood still for a while and waited til the music began again. She did'nt seem frazzeled either and scored pretty good if I remember correctly!

Once they started the wrong music for Alex so she just stayed still and waited for the right music. It is amazing how they just keep it together out there!

What a great accomplishment for your small team! Congrats on an all around great meet!! 2nd place AA is awesome!!

Fabulous scores, I love the floor story, just shows her true character. SO glad she had company as alone is not as much fun.

To get the highest floor score in her whole level is awesome, and witout music.

Great job on floor! It's tough when the music stops--she obviously didn't let it bother her though.

What an awesome meet for her!! Loved the meet report. How great that she kept going when her music stopped AND that she took 1st place without music. Guess music doesn't matter as much as we thought, except probably to the gymnast. :) She obviously put on a good show! Glad she didn't let beam phase her as well. She did amazing, congrats to her and to her teammates, too! :D Looking forward to the video!!

Wow what a day! I have seen when the music stopped a few times... lol...quite interesting!! I'm glad it didn't effect her and she rocked it anyway!!! I will look forward to watching the video. :)

GS ~ What time did she compete yesterday? We were in Baltimore until 1:30. I forgot she was competing and would've loved to come in and say hi!

Wow, what composure and talent she has to keep going on her routine like that. And to get a great score and placement to boot! I'm very happy for her and can't wait to see the routine!! Our floor judges were vicious on Saturday. I'll tell the whole story in my own post.

Congrats again!! :D

Thanks for sharing! I loved the floor story and how cool and calm your daughter remained! Can't wait to see the video!

What a good meet for her, and to keep going without the music and nail it. Now that takes skills! Playing the floor music at the meet we host is one job I never sign up for. I would just hate to be responsible for screwing up some girl's music. :)

Her report time was 1:40 and we got there about 12pm.

GS ~ What time did she compete yesterday? We were in Baltimore until 1:30. I forgot she was competing and would've loved to come in and say hi!

Wow, what composure and talent she has to keep going on her routine like that. And to get a great score and placement to boot! I'm very happy for her and can't wait to see the routine!! Our floor judges were vicious on Saturday. I'll tell the whole story in my own post.

Congrats again!! :D

I'm sorry I didn't get to the video last night. I worked yesterday, dd was back to practice after school and ds had a basketball game. By the time I got home, I just wanted to do nothing.

Dh also informed me we have no room on the hard drive on the computer that I usually do my videos on, so I'll try today when I get home from work - hopefully I'll be able to do it.

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments about dd.... :p

I recall bursting into tears when that happened to my floor music in about my second competition. Glad to hear she handled it so well and did so great!!

What a great story! Way to go!!!

I can't wait to see the video.. how are her Level 9 skill coming? do you think she will stay Level 8 for the whole season? She seems to be rocking the scores this year!

Great job to your dd!!! Some really great scores and wow on her fl to keep going and get 1st after music stops suddenly!

Well she was working 9 bars yesterday again and I saw her doing layout vaults into the pit, so yes she is still working 9 skills, but as for competing 9 nobody has said anything to me and quite honestly I think if it comes up again (with the coaches) I want to stress continuing to work 9 skills but let her compete 8 the entire season.

Her confidence is really soaring and she is so relaxed at meets, I'm not seeing a dear in headlights this year and I'm really enjoying it (and I think she is too)! :D

What a great story! Way to go!!!

I can't wait to see the video.. how are her Level 9 skill coming? do you think she will stay Level 8 for the whole season? She seems to be rocking the scores this year!

I think that sounds like a fantastic plan. I kind of feel the same way about Beetle. she is still working some L9 Skills but I hope she is going to have a great year like K. I hope she can really build her confidence!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back