Could use some last minute luck for 2/15

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Abby has a big meet tomorrow and she could really really need some HIT those routines luck. It is a HUGE meet at a football stadium, gyms from 30 different states. She is SOOO excited and can't wait. Hair is done and she is in bed. I am just packing up everything and charging the camera batteries (died at the end of her beam where she FINALLY hit her dismount, LOL).

I have to say that her gym has done nothing to prepare them any better. I am soooo frustrated. Her last practice before the meet was supposed to be routines, routines, routines. Well, I stayed to watch and instead of splitting up the 20 something level 4s into competing and not competing, they had ALL those girls with 2 coaches and they ALL sat and watched each other do routines. Even girls that don't know the routines or have their skills and the coaches sat their and taught them it, etc. Both coaches just stood there watching. So in a 3.5 hour practice, my DD did ONE of each routine and sat around the rest of the time. I was so mad I should have just taken her home. The whole week wasn't much better. I don't know WHAT coaches were thinking or should I say they weren't thinking. I had really hoped they were changing things for the best, but they aren't, but that is another thread. :(

It just makes no sense. "We want the girls to score better at meets." BUT, they take coaches away, don't practice routines and no consistency with coaching. How is THAT supposed to happen????? :confused:

Anyway, I am hoping she can just hit everything and not fall on her mill circle, shoot through or beam dismount. I want her to have fun and not be upset with no medals. I am not expecting much improvement because they haven't been working on things very much and when they do she comes home upset because "XX coach said to do it this way, but YY told me to do it like this and ZZ says like this. "

So...lots of every kind of fairy you can find would be wonderful! She could definitely use them. Maybe some lax judges for once, LOL. And some calming vibes for me because I am furious about her gym situation and need to be calm and just enjoy her meet.

Wow, what a terrible waste of time. I think I'd be annoyed too.

Good luck on the mill circle, shoot through, beam dismount and everything else! I hope she has a great time!

The best of luck to your dd!!! Dani has a meet today too!!! Hopefully the good luck fairies will multiply and be able to travel around everywhere!!!

Good luck to Abby, sending the "I'm great even without my coaches" fairy!

I would not behappy with that situation either, little Bog has a meet today and she has done nothing but routines for two weeks solid, before that a couple od days a week there would be some uptraining. Time for a chat I guess.

Thanks everyone. Luck wasn't on her side at all today, but she had fun and luckily they gave out AA medals.

A friend who is a coach and mom of a L4 talked with the owner about the past week, parents being upset, etc and she said the owner said she was going to have a meeting with parents, so we will see.

I am on the fence about staying after this season or finding another gym. Our L5s and up have great coaches and she might be moving to L5 after this season (according to my friend/coach) and that is the only way I will stay there. The main L4 coaches are just not doing anything at all and it is so frustrating. :( Not sure what the problem is, but whatever is happening isn't working. So, we will see what happens, if anything and go from there. I hate to move after putting in so much time and money at this gym, but what else can we do?

So sorry the coaches didn't do a better job preparing before a meet! That's really not fair to send the girls out without proper coaching...and to a huge meet like that! But it sounds like Abby had a good time & took it all in stride. I love it when everyone gets something in the AA! They really do all deserve something. Good for her! She's learning each time she goes to a meet...no matter what the out come. Now she knows she can go to a big meet & have fun. Always helps to learn that right there! Good thing this coaching situation is being addressed. If she is moving up soon, and L5 is run better, maybe you might be better sticking it out??? See what comes up at the meeting. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Thanks Gymjourneymom. She DID have fun and that is what matters, it is just frustrating to see her not improve. :(

I would love for things to get better at her current gym, but I worry that if she moves to L5, how will she do well if she isn't doing well in L4??? I do know that I will leave for sure though if she stays in L4. I would rather her repeat L4 somewhere else. If she does move to L5, I am not going to let her compete until she is ready. Hard to know what to do. :(

I can see how that is very frustrating! I'm glad she's having fun though. Looking back, my friends and I always talk about, how the best part of level 4 and what we miss the most, was having fun, and not worrying about anything, just having fun. It was nice to not have any pressure, and to just go out there, and do our best and enjoy ourselves.

I can see how you'd like more routine practice. Though, I do remember when we did routine practice we only ended up doing one or 2, and our favorite part was getting to judge the other girls and watching the other girls routine. We seemed to learn a lot, because we saw what the coaches did and did not like. Good luck and keep us updated :]

Thanks Gymjourneymom. She DID have fun and that is what matters, it is just frustrating to see her not improve. :(

I would love for things to get better at her current gym, but I worry that if she moves to L5, how will she do well if she isn't doing well in L4??? I do know that I will leave for sure though if she stays in L4. I would rather her repeat L4 somewhere else. If she does move to L5, I am not going to let her compete until she is ready. Hard to know what to do. :(
Hang in there Mariposa! It can be a very frustrating sport!!! You've read my posts right???LOL!!! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only frustrated parent at our gym...that's why I love CB...we can all commiserate here together,LOL!!! I haven't posted much lately b/c DD is still "working through" her fear issues....talk about frustrating!!!! I know this may take her a while, so I have to relax & be patient. But when we went for her private last week there were some L4's practicing. My DD said the same thing eeyoretumbles said, "Oh how I miss those days, when it was all so fun!". Makes her sound like an old lady at just 13yrs old doesn't it???? But really having fun is a major part of this sport...if they enjoy it(even when we don't understand how they can be enjoying it??), that is what keeps them motivated to stick with it. Even with all that my DD is going through with her fear issues...she STILL says she love this sport! I think it's b/c she learned to love it back in the lower levels. My DD had a huge L4 team...they didn't get much individual attention back then either...but she had fun! As she moved up & the team thinned out...the coaching got better. Hey...now her coach is stuck to her like glue & won't give her a moments peace! So coaching can change at different levels in the same gym. Even after being on that huge L4 team, my DD was state AA champ in L5. So things can really change...there is hope! Hang in there & see how it all plays out after that mom talks to the owner. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back