Parents Countdown to Level 5 States - Our Ongoing Bars Saga

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
We had a breakthrough today! Our gym hired a new preschool teacher who happens to have taught my little DD as a preschooler at our old gym. I spoke with her yesterday about DD's problems w/the squat on, and she offered to work with DD for 30 mins this morning before practice. After practice, she told me that she taught DD some drills to help her with her skills, and corrected some positioning problems. During practice, DD was able to use what she learned with her regular bars coach and was able to catch the high bar with confidence!

Four practices till States!

Gymmonkeysmomma -

I think that is fantastic. How excited to have her old coach come to her new gym.

on a side note - do you know what the tips were? my dd's L3 class has been working on these for fun on Thursdays. She has been frustrated because she was the only one in her group not to get it the first day. She has done it three times ( the whole thing - cast, squat on, jump to high bar - and she was happy w/ that - one of them actually got the entire flyaway by herself !!!! her parents asked her how in the world she is not afraid to do that but still cannot do a mill circle because she is afraid she will fall !1 LOL!! ). Anyway. DD's problem seems to be that she squats on then instead of standing up then jumping the squat on - jump is all one motion so she is too low to actually catch the high bar.

Gymmonkeysmomma -

I think that is fantastic. How excited to have her old coach come to her new gym.

on a side note - do you know what the tips were?

I don't know all the details, but some of what the coach told me were that she needs to make sure her shoulders are over the bar (in front of the bar) so that her hips are in line with the bar. She had been too far back. The other thing was she was trying to stand on the arch of her foot instead of the ball.

Also, she said that even though DD is very strong, when she does push ups, she has her elbows out to the side and is building the chest muscles instead of the arm muscles but having the elbows tucked in.

She also set up several skill-training stations for dd with having hands on stacked mats, and pulling in her legs, then another one with a floor bar and pulling in to put her feet on the bar and then working up to squatting onto a trainer bar.

Sounds like she is getting some good help with the bars. I hope she has a great routine for her state meet :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back