Cpn

• Thread starter Fliptwisttumble
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Fliptwisttumble

Afternoon, all: DD will be starting training for CPN after summer break, and I recall that several of you have daughters in or have been through the CPN program. My questions are: how many hours do they train? what level were they before entering? What is your expectation for when they finish? Are they typically ready for the Novice program, or is it a hard jump from one to the next? Did they do Aspire one season, then move to Elite the next? (My enter key isn't working here so I apologize for the long paragraph!) Any insight/experiences you have would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

What is the CPN program?

We don't have anybody at our gym but I know a little bit about the program. I think the hours greatly depend on which gym you are at. I know there are girls in my area for CPN training anywhere from 18- 30 hours. One club near me requires 2 a day training sessions for them all.
I think that if they are a very strong CPN elite they can transition to Novice without much issue, but I am basing this off one girl so it could vary. Some may have trouble while others move seamlessly.
And JBS, the CPN is a nation wide program that includes USAG optional level skills for younger girls who hope to continue to higher levels of gymnastics. It is a great program which emphasizes more basic skills rather than long routines earlier. For example in CPN aspire their bar routine starts on high bar and they kip, handstand, 3 giants to layout flyaway.

My DD is in CPN and in hour gym that is a range fro 16 - 25 hours per week. We do not do split training, but the girls are required to be there by 330pm and 130pm up to twice a week as well. We do not have sports schools in our Province so that issue can be a bit tricky.

My DD was put right into that group at 7/8yo as she had been in another gym not competing that I used for daycare and when she went to get tested that is where they put her. In our gym they have what they call the JP program which is in levels 1/2/3 where usually they pull from JP2 (so I am assuming 7yo) into CPN. There are some girls however that get put in when they are already 8 or 9yo which leaves them less time in CPN to compete both Aspire and Elite. In those cases it seems most of them go and do P5tyro for a year while training to get the National Novice skills as it is a big jump from Aspire. If you are coming from Elite the difference seems to be much more realistic.

MY DD had and still enjoys the level and the only downfall in our area is the lack of competitors and competitions she can participate in. Every child is different and I have seem one girl in DD's group where the pressure was too much and in the end she ended up going to P2 this year an having to wait til next season to compete because of the change. Make sure you DD knows that it is similar to P# etc. and does not get caught up into the whole "National" training thing that adds pressure IMO and should she ever want or need to go back and up through the Provincial levels is is still okay and she is still the same gymnast regardless.

Thanks everyone. The info is muchly appreciated.

DD is going from 16 hrs to 25 to train with 3 other girls. While we had thought we'd be switching gyms for next year, for various reasons it didn't happen, and a fairly timely change at our current gym has them open for training girls to higher levels. She will be nine this fall - all four are either 9 or 10 and it will be their first year in this category for all of them.

It just seems like a big "jump" if you are starting at say Aspire the first year, Elite the second, then NOvice National (assuming that is why they're placed in this program to begin with.... To move them towards that level) within two years.

margg, I agree with you on the meets. In Ontario , there's only one meet I think, in the fall that girls can compete at. It's a qualifier for National Stream Cup, so if you don't make that, the next meet for the girls is ProvincialChampionships. That's at least one less than provincial girls who don't qualify for championships. Definitely a downside.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they add this, it would be great. I haven't been to Montreal for years, but love it there. AND, I would love to meet up with some of you ladies! :)

Afternoon, all: DD will be starting training for CPN after summer break, and I recall that several of you have daughters in or have been through the CPN program. My questions are: how many hours do they train? what level were they before entering? What is your expectation for when they finish? Are they typically ready for the Novice program, or is it a hard jump from one to the next? Did they do Aspire one season, then move to Elite the next? (My enter key isn't working here so I apologize for the long paragraph!) Any insight/experiences you have would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

A lot of other posters have answered many of your questions, but something I just recently found out was the Novice you can do as many skills as Junior and Senior... and I have noticed by watching results from previous years that some Pre Novice Aspires don't even go to elite, they go back into the provincial program (in Ontario).

So to answer your specific questions, my dd was 8 and competing invitational level 6, then this year at 9 did Aspire, will compete next year Elite, but then who knows???

She trains 25 hours a week.

With all the changes coming to the Provincial program we are just glad that she is withing the CPN program.

Oh and she did compete at gymnix against girls who were in their THIRD year at Aspire.

And there are a few Invitational meets in Ontario for CPN.

I had a meeting with DD's new coach just before the summer break, and the plan is for her to try Elite.... they have about 5 months to train once she gets back until she needs to start competing in late fall. She is very excited!

Nice! They tell me they are expecting she will likely first compete at Burlington's fall qualifier, potentially some meet in Mississauga, then provincials. Otherwise focusing on getting the skill level up, and some of the bonus skills. They said there are other meets if she qualifies, but I'm not banking on that given it is her first year of actual competition, and the skill requirements are rather high. I guess we'll see you at one of the meets!

We should pm closer to the date and try and meet to say hello. And you may get to meet margg as well, her dd is the same level but she's not in Ontario.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back