Parents Crazy Gym Parent Alert

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
Signs that you maybe turning into a crazy gym parent if you . . .

What do you think are signs that your crossing the line into crazy? I want to include this in the parent guide ;-)

I have a feeling this could be fun to read LOL

Two parents are in the viewing room reading the same email about signing up for private lessons from a former Olympian's coach. You don't look at each other but one of you bolts across the spring floor after the coach and the other makes a bee-line for the front desk hoping to beat the other one to it. Yep, that's crazy.

Prior to each meet you analyze past scores of all kids in your kid's awards group. After each meet you break down placement by whether the kids are repeaters or not.

Hey just a minute now....... That's a process I went through from the moment I started competing and continued as a coach. I gotta admit that I'd rather see the kids doing that, or their coaches, but if that's not happening then taking it upon yourself is fine with me. I think kids can set goals based on what they want, and can use their results compared to their peers to measure there progress. I'd say that a child who finishes in 10th place behind nine 2nd year kids deserves to enjoy the same emotional lift as the "winner."

Timing beam opportunities during practice........ pretty wacked considering some kids will move slower than others because they want to take too long to get to the skill the cgm want them to learn.

Hey just a minute now....... That's a process I went through from the moment I started competing and continued as a coach. I gotta admit that I'd rather see the kids doing that, or their coaches, but if that's not happening then taking it upon yourself is fine with me. I think kids can set goals based on what they want, and can use their results compared to their peers to measure there progress. I'd say that a child who finishes in 10th place behind nine 2nd year kids deserves to enjoy the same emotional lift as the "winner."

Timing beam opportunities during practice........ pretty wacked considering some kids will move slower than others because they want to take too long to get to the skill the cgm want them to learn.

Just wanted to add...... looking at scores before the meet is a parent only thing. Sharing that info with your little gymnast can mess up their minds and make meets a disaster.

Sitting down with your chid pre meet and having a strategy meeting. Reviewing key corrections on each event ( straight legs on your BWO, remember to point your toes) and then discussing the corrections post meet. Goals are fine, technical corrections belong to the coach!

Giving the coach your expert opinion about where every child on the team should be placed next year.

I know parents who keep "stats" on the girls in their DDs levels - and they are perfectly normal!

Umm, does it make me crazy if I know who the really strong girls are in my DDs level from pretty much every gym around by now, and what is their strongest apparatus because I can remember these kids from the past 6 years?

How about if you have never done gymnastics in your life shouting out technical corrections to your child about arching and hollowing as she is working on her giants because "the coach isn't providing enough corrections"? :eek:

Then there is my favorite story about being at states watching 10 year old (old) L6s and saying a sympathetic word to a mother whose daughter fell off the beam in the middle of a lovely routine, only to have her hiss, "She just RUINED her all around score!"

Our level three parents write every score of every child at the meet in that level and compare the age groups to make sure our girls are in the top 5 and we get first place team.

Sitting down with your chid pre meet and having a strategy meeting. Reviewing key corrections on each event ( straight legs on your BWO, remember to point your toes) and then discussing the corrections post meet. Goals are fine, technical corrections belong to the coach!

Giving the coach your expert opinion about where every child on the team should be placed next year.
We had a mother TELL coach that she was bringing her daughter to the NEW L4 team camp when coach had suggested she repeat (compete NEW L3) because her season high at Old L4 had been 33.5 (at a meet where EVERYONE got at least 1 personal best... but several had 3 personal bests, her daughter being one of them). Her 2nd best was a 32.6. We also look at individual event scores and her best beam score was 8.1. It was her vault that helped her score so high.

We had a mom call the host gym the week before a meet and get her dd's level she was registered to compete in changed from 5 to 6 after HC had told both mom and daughter she wasn't ready for 6. She had only practiced the old 6 routines a few times. She ended up with about a 28 aa.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back