Parents Crazy Meets..... Meet number 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

To start can we just have a normal meet????? I would LOVE to have a drama free meet does that ever hadppen?? This was our first out of state meet and a total new experience for us. We were in a venue that was outside of a gym that was using "rented" gym equipment. There were issues with mats slipping on vault. They didn't have the "typical" level 4 huge mat. They had some inflateable thing and the top mat kept sliding. The mats under the bars kept sliding. Judging was making NO sense what so ever. They were all over the place. That was so frustrating. I have to say DD has been very consistent with her routines and that is one thing we are very proud. Her scores have been going up but she is within her curve. Well this meet things were all over the place.

First up Vault. Like I said above it was a strange vault setup DD handled it well. Her vault looked like all the rest from the past meets which she has been scoring 9.2-9.3 range. She did nothing out of her norm and nothing big was wrong. She scored an 8.85 :eek: DH acutally went to where I was taking pictures and was :eek::confused: going what went wrong. DD was sitting with her head down and most of her team had very low scores too. Ok so we now chalk it up that this might be a tough meet and DD might have that off day we have all been worried about.

On to Bars. DD seemed to shake it off and her bar warm up was ok. She fell on her shoot thru but she has been working on getting her leg SUPER high on it so not big deal she was finding her "right spot" Bar scores were low and again all over the place. DD turn and DH said she may have an off day I am feeling this is probably the day. Well she did what I thought was a solid good routine. A bit better than her past on the average she was scoring 8.8 as a low score and 9.375 as a high. She pulls a 9.5 very exciting. DD was bouncing up and down. Scores were again all over the place with no reason to support. I saw some minor things in the routines but nothing out of the norm so to speak.

Next up Beam: Again DH was saying I think this is going to be a bad day she doesn't look confident today and had bobbles in warm up. I am telling him to be quite and not to jinx her. Again scores are not making sense some routines were scoring high that didn't look "awesome" some that were solid routines scoring low. People falling and not tight scoring higher than people with solid routines. Just very strange things. DD was up and did what I felt was an OK routine. She had what I considered a MAJOR bobble so I wrote the routine off that it was lucky to beak a 9.0 I guess the judge was not seeing what I saw and DD got a 9.5 I explained to DD that judge was very generous with that score and she still had a lot that needed to fix. It really was not worthly of that score. I am sure her coach will relay the same sediment at the next practice or in her next private.

Last Floor: DD's most consistent routine. She had a good warm up and competed a solid routine with only one thing that has been a repeated problem just not staying tight out of one element. It is a minor thing but dropping her score. DD scored 9.4 and again the judges were all over the place with their range which was not making very much sense. I would have liked to have been a little fly to hear what was going on.

Any how DD had a solid meet and we were very pleased. I still want to hear the coach's feedback on the vault and what went wrong. Any how here is how it all ended.

Vault 1st
Bars 1st
Beam 1st
Floor 1st
AA 1st. 37.2

AA score dropped a bit from the last meet as a result of the vault. Had she scored her norm she would have been in the high 37's

DD was very excited, it was the first meet that she took all events. Now we are off for a few weeks before we compete again. Thanks for letting me share another one of our crazy meets. I am just hoping we can have a drama free rest of the season.

Congrats on the 1st places!! Way to go! That judging sounds kinda crazy. Kudos to your dd to not letting vault shake her and having a great meet. Those are some really awesome scores!

Wow! Awesome scores and placements for such a rocky meet! Nice going!

I think what had me the proudest was how she handled the low score and took that and focused her energy to the other events and didn't fall appart. Others on her team were not able to do the same. I am just hoping she can take all this with her as she moves along in this sport.

Thank you everyone!

Great meet!!! WOW--great scores and can't get much better than sweeping the entire competition with first place finishes in all events. Congrats!!! So where is all this drama again???? I guess you are talking about the other people's scores and the issues with the equipment and the mats slipping.

And just speaking from some experience--scores do tend to be all over the place at times. There is sometimes no rhyme or reason to them and you have to take them with a grain of salt and move on.

Also, sometimes having too high expectations at these lower levels i.e. "She had what I considered a MAJOR bobble so I wrote the routine off that it was lucky to beak a 9.0 I guess the judge was not seeing what I saw and DD got a 9.5 I explained to DD that judge was very generous with that score and she still had a lot that needed to fix. It really was not worthly of that score. I am sure her coach will relay the same sediment at the next practice or in her next private." only sets the child up for dissappointment when she does reach the higher levels and she isn't scoring 9's on everything and 37 and 38 AA's as "the norm". Because Level 5 is VERY different than Level 4. Just saying....

I used to coach many years ago.

I do look at DD's routines with a more critical eye than most parents do. I understand that next year in Level 5 DD is going to have a tougher time. She has seen with her team mates that they were pulling the same scores as she is in level 4 and they are struggling to break the 9's. She is fully aware. When we talk about her goals we are very realistic.

Right now if she would compete her level 5 routines she would be upper 7's for vault, mid- 8's on beam/floor and low 8 - high 7 on bars. She knows that there is a lot to work and next year isn't going to be as successful. The only reason the expectations are so high is because this is her second year in this level. She trained a complete year with out competing so before her first competition she knew that the bar was set high.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back